Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2016, 04:04   #241

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard
Re: Professional therapy, motivational coach, or CF?

This was in reference to post #211. I did not push the quote botton.
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:49   #242

Boat: a sailing boat

Hey OP, great to hear your views NOW!

As re the extra juice sources you consider, here are my thoughts:

* charter your own boat - NO, you are pitching against a strong existing market,
* Find a company willing to hire me remotely - YES,
* Win the lottery - ;-)
* cultivate/start an online business that I can tend to remotely - NO, unless you already own one,
* waitress / bartend along the way - YES,

*** LOOK AT WHAT SKILLS ARE IN NEED - ONES THAT GO WELL WITH THE CRUISING LIFE - then build the skill and become an expert.

Look for cash flows that do not require high initial outlays nor plenty of supervision/management. Do not go into anything that is a heavy time-wise burden - you want to keep your time for yourself, this allows you to look at opportunities and risks with a fresh and clear eye and tell the difference between the effort worthy ones and the noise.

Do not get sucked up into the hyperactive hempster hampster mode doing a lot but to little avail.

Free your main asset - your time. Use it wisely then.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:23   #243

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
... Do not get sucked up into the hyperactive hempster hampster mode doing a lot but to little avail.

Free your main asset - your time. Use it wisely then.

Cheers,
b.
As usual, barnakiel has said it so well
Old 04-09-2016, 07:40   #244
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I'd be very careful about the suggestion of SPY, DIA, and QQQ ETF. ETFs trade like stock and need to be carefully managed. You will get hit on sells and buys. Say byebye to your dividends. They do not rollover.

For an average non-expert investor do not fall into this trap.

Read Mutual Funds vs. Exchange Traded Fund to understand how ETFs are constructed and how they work.

BTW, the "magic" card tricks with the numbers do not match the historical year by year % he quotes. When you hear things like that, run as fast as you can to the door and hold onto your purse or wallet.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:13   #245

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

Years ago when I had IRAs I received information that you could get it out early without penalty due to life changing event such as retirement.
Back them the rule was that you had to take the same amount out annually for a minimum of 9.5 years.
The financial adviser said you could take out more than you need and at the end of the year start a new IRA if not needed. I forgot what the rule was called. You may want to research if this still exist. If it was before tax IRA you pay tax but no penalty.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:58   #246

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Gadagirl,
The insurance requirement for the US is you are exempt from having to carry insurance if you are out of the country 9 Mos a year. We figure in what we save by not carrying insurance we don't have to return to the states to work. We will cover our own expenses with local doctors. Yes, we hedge our bets that we won't get cancer etc. It is a gamble. But insurance companies are making the same gamble. A person being healthy but fearful of disease is how they make their profit.

Of course, that's not a risk every should take. But if you are healthy it might be a sensible option. If you can put back a nice chunk of change for any emergency that might arise, 10,000 or so, you might not have to work for someone else's profit margin. Further more, if you do need to return to the states in a few years, you will have been unemployed with few assets and may even be covered under medicaid. It's just a thought.
I'd love to be on the same tack as you! I'm healthy now. On no medications!! Nothing, other than an occasional aspirin for minor pain. But I'm not willing to put my life/health decisions on my ability to pay for care. $10,000 covers initial costs of
care. Doesn't even start to cover total expense of care.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 13:21   #247
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Professional therapy, motivational coach, or CF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
I'd love to be on the same tack as you! I'm healthy now. On no medications!! Nothing, other than an occasional aspirin for minor pain. But I'm not willing to put my life/health decisions on my ability to pay for care. $10,000 covers initial costs of
care. Doesn't even start to cover total expense of care.
You've just compromised yourself into the 5.5 extra years..
All the best when you make it onto your liveabord..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 13:30   #248

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuentes View Post
This reminds me of ROTC 1958. First day we were with our shiny uniforms on the parade grounds at college thinking we were pretty hot stuff and of course we knew it all ( I was 17 years old). I remember it still "vividly". Here comes Sargent Major Robertson, stands before us and in the sweet, gentle voice of all drill Sargents "informs us". Gentlemen, there is the right way, the wrong way, the army way, and my way. We will be doing things my way. I do not remember there being any suggestions or discussion after that. Have a nice day. Hector
????? Really? How did my question become militarized? I've had a lot of good feedback from all who participated. How does the military or your experience in the military relate in any way to my question, or other's suggestions ?people, in my perspective, are offering up their own unique ways of making their dreams happen. Very helpful. How exactly does your drill sergeant, or your military experience enlighten any of us? Are you saying I should join a branch of the military service?
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 13:41   #249

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

I am loosing international insurance this year. Will most likely end up on Obama Care if returning to the US.
Canada holds their citizens hostage with health insurance, cannot be gone more than 6 months. It is a very personal decision but I am more afraid of not living and being the living dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 14:08   #250

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I am on the American Health care act. My SSI is smal, so I have not had any out of pocket yet. I am also Canadian and in case of (another) catastrophic incident, I would fly back to Canada and check in there. One thing I won't do is being coned into the myth I will be taken care of some how at 67.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 14:55   #251
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
. I am also Canadian and in case of (another) catastrophic incident, I would fly back to Canada and check in there.
How would you do that during the heart attack at 2 am on Saturday while at anchor in Mexico?
Old 04-09-2016, 15:56   #252

ETFs trade like stock and need to be carefully managed. In the example quoted, they were not managed at all. Simply bought and held.
You will get hit on sells and buys. Yes, using TDA Ameritrade, I would get 'hit' for $29.97 to buy them, and $29.97 again when I sell them. Regardless of how many thousands of dollars I invested or cashed out.
Say byebye to your dividends. They do not rollover. Even if they did not rollover, they would not be 'bye-bye'. They would be a cash asset in your account. Transfer free of charge to your checking account. Spend it. BUT, just for the record, I would have expected an expert financial advisor such as yourself to know about DRIP. 'Dividend Reinvestment Plan'. Nuff said?

BTW, the "magic" card tricks with the numbers do not match the historical year by year % he quotes.
DIA - 10/1/07 141.95, DIA - 3/1/13 145.32, DIA - 9/1/16 184.88
SPY- 10/1/07 157.52, SPY- 4/1/13 159.68, SPY - 9/1/16 218.37
QQQ -10/1/07 54.84, QQQ -1/1/11 55.77, QQQ -9/1/16 117.12
Anyone on this forum can check these prices on these dates.
you would, at this point, be ahead by 60.9%. Granted, it is nine years later. That is NOT a year by year %. It is what it says it is. Percentage of profit after nine years. AND IT BEATS THE HELL OUT OF 4%!
If you don't know what you're talking about, feel free to stop talking!
Robert C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 22:20   #253

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
How would you do that during the heart attack at 2 am on Saturday while at anchor in Mexico?
I've had two MCI so far. The second one was on the Big Island of Hi...with no cardio care. It was 5 days and an inter-Island flight to Oahu, to have the surgery.
Let me tell you something else...I don't give a rats-ass if it happens in the Arctic while ice cave exploring. I'm living my life the way I want to. In my years on this rock I have lived the life of 2 people. Most people here and elsewhere, rarely climb out from under their computer desk. I'm just sayin...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:16   #254
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I'm just sayin...
I was just asking. Lots of people post how they are "just going back to ......" if they have a major medical. I just don't feel that is a well thought out statement.

When you have a medical emergency you are at the mercy of what is available. If you can wait and get on a plane is it really an emergency?

OTOH people always think medical services from where they are from are better than where they are.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:25   #255
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

To gain perspective on what is really important in your life, just ask yourself this question: ’When I’m 100 years old and I look back over my life, what would make me think my time was well spent?’

When you know what matters most to you, keep your eyes on your own definition of happiness, and you’ll fill your life with the things that are important to you. The rest takes care of itself. And then you are relieved of the situation by no longer being here.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote