Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2016, 08:23   #121
cruiser

Re: Professional therapy, motivational coach, or CF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'm well aware he was speaking about me Ken, as is everyone who is following. So thanks for pointing out the obvious .

Hmmm, can we guess who else might be included? I guess we're in good company, eh .
Mike,

I'm just doing the same thing as you in a different part of the world and reporting back on what's taking place. The only difference between us, is we prefer flush toilets, watermakers, a genset and a washing machine. Without our present outfit... We wouldn't be doing this.

Not everyone is as enthusastic about the "less is best" approach.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 08:24   #122

Boat: a sailing boat

Many worry so much because we tend to overestimate our remaining expected life. It is just a cognitive bias as any other. I am immortal too.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

One look at 55 y.o. (male) tells you that you only need like 100k USD to cruise peacefully till you drop, in one of the less expensive, tropical cruising paradises. Even this assuming one is a bum doing nothing, gaining nothing, exchanging nothing.

Data: expected life: 25, yield 1.5% (10y US govt), annual budget 5k, end value 0,00 USD. Plug into any annuity formula, see for yourself.

MILLION DOLLARS? Sure, keep on saving. Die rich. Share nothing but tight ass attitudes. Etc.

Things are doable we know as there are ones who do them.

Certainty. Yes: taxes and the other thing. See the table attached.

Love ya,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 08:30   #123
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
If we work for two additional years (part time), we'll add over 20k income per year to the anual cruising kitty. It's too much to ignore.

Well that's the slippery slope isn't it and gets right to the point. It's not a matter of how much you have, it's a matter of how much you need. So you have decided you need that money more than 2 years of your life.
Old 30-08-2016, 08:33   #124
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
He's right. When free diving in the Med it gets cold very quick below 10 meters. It comes on suddenly.
So you're saying the epilimnion layer goes down to 10m in the med?
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 08:35   #125

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Mike,

I'm just doing the same thing as you in a different part of the world and reporting back on what's taking place. The only difference between us, is we prefer flush toilets, watermakers, a genset and a washing machine. Without our present outfit... We wouldn't be doing this.

Not everyone is as enthusastic about the "less is best" approach.
Not sure what your point is Ken. You appear to live and espouse a life of "more is best." I'm saying there is such as thing as having enough (not, as you put it, "less is best").

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well that's the slippery slope isn't it and gets right to the point. It's not a matter of how much you have, it's a matter of how much you need. So you have decided you need that money more than 2 years of your life.
Beautifully put Don .
Old 30-08-2016, 08:41   #126
cruiser

Quote:
My wife and I enjoy our jobs and cruising six months per year. So working an extra 12 months spread over a two year period is no big deal. Didn't you just finish working one extra year for an extra 100k into your kitty? We're doing the same thing.
Old 30-08-2016, 08:44   #127
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

One look at 55 y.o. (male) tells you that you only need like 100k USD to cruise peacefully till you drop, in one of the less expensive, tropical cruising paradises.
Except you won't be able to sail around till you drop. If you're lucky to survive w/o some chronic illness the first 10-15 years you'll be lucky. Do not assume others who go that long are YOU.

If you think that SS check will cover your arse and be around you're only FOS. And don't believe the Infomercials of folk around here who left with a hanky in their pocket and did it. They didn't HAVE the resources you do. And I say invest wisely and save till you're 62 or 64 if you aren't magical like a lot of these tryst fund baby folks with expensive yachts or inheritance. If you have that cash cow thing going that's just one more sailing tool. If you are 55, 10 years is a blink of an eye.

What's your exit strategy besides a bottle of _______ and the barrel of a .45 when you have to sell out and move back?
Old 30-08-2016, 08:46   #128
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
So you're saying the epilimnion layer goes down to 10m in the med?
I don't know what it's called. All I know is when you get down to 30-35ft, it gets really cold quick.
Old 30-08-2016, 08:46   #129

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
...One look at 55 y.o. (male) tells you that you only need like 100k USD to cruise peacefully till you drop, in one of the less expensive, tropical cruising paradises. Even this assuming one is a bum doing nothing, gaining nothing, exchanging nothing.
Thanks Barn. An excellent dose of reality in this otherwise vacuous discussion (and yes Ken, I'm including me in this comment).
Old 30-08-2016, 08:55   #130
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
My wife and I enjoy our jobs and cruising six months per year. So working an extra 12 months spread over a two year period is no big deal. Didn't you just finish working one extra year for an extra 100k into your kitty? We're doing the same thing.
I wasn't judging I was just saying what you said. You value the money more than the 2 years. I'm fine with that as it doesn't matter to me one bit what choices other people decide. Don't confuse me with someone that feels it is right to apply what I think to everyone else.

In my world there is the right way, the wrong way, and my way. My way is only right for me.

BTW - I didn't work an extra year. In fact I stopped working on may 31 instead of waiting till Sept 31, which means I LOST a year of company profit sharing. I decided for me working the extra 4 months, which would have also met being stuck up North till Spring 2017, wasn't worth the extra money in the kitty + the amount I'm taking out instead.
Old 30-08-2016, 09:32   #131
cruiser

Quote:
I wasn't judging I was just saying what you said. You value the money more than the 2 years. I'm fine with that as it doesn't matter to me one bit what choices other people decide. Don't confuse me with someone that feels it is right to apply what I think to everyone else.

In my world there is the right way, the wrong way, and my way. My way is only right for me.

BTW - I didn't work an extra year. In fact I stopped working on may 31 instead of waiting till Sept 31, which means I LOST a year of company profit sharing. I decided for me working the extra 4 months, which would have also met being stuck up North till Spring 2017, wasn't worth the extra money in the kitty + the amount I'm taking out instead.
Understood. Good luck, only 16 days till you cut the docklines. You're providing an excellent example for the OP on how it can be done with a little patience and hard work.
Old 30-08-2016, 11:37   #132
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Professional therapy, motivational coach, or CF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
This is my favorite part of another one of those insightful Mike OReilly posts.
Thanks for this Mike!

It seems to me that there is another need that so many have. Some need to make sure that everyone knows how well they are doing compared to others,- or how much they are able to afford compared to others,- or how little they need compared to others, - or how exotic their cruising lives are compared to others.

It's good to know what can be achieved, but not so good to hear so much that is exceptional.
Ahahahahaaaa...
Hud... I like anyone could always use more.. that's why I do deliveries when I can get them..
Keno is right.. 500/mth can be a struggle if something goes wrong.. but I made my bed and am happy to sleep in it.. However.. I had a ball making it..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 12:57   #133

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Except you won't be able to sail around till you drop. If you're lucky to survive w/o some chronic illness the first 10-15 years you'll be lucky. Do not assume others who go that long are YOU.

If you think that SS check will cover your arse and be around you're only FOS. And don't believe the Infomercials of folk around here who left with a hanky in their pocket and did it. They didn't HAVE the resources you do. And I say invest wisely and save till you're 62 or 64 if you aren't magical like a lot of these tryst fund baby folks with expensive yachts or inheritance. If you have that cash cow thing going that's just one more sailing tool. If you are 55, 10 years is a blink of an eye.

What's your exit strategy besides a bottle of _______ and the barrel of a .45 when you have to sell out and move back?
Exit strategy? Really? You have an exit strategy? Let's hear it. Seriously that should be entertaining at the least. But in would be interesting no less.
I don't have one but I don't subscribe to it neither.
I exit and watch so the door don't hit me on the way out.
My sign on business door said, "Please open door before leaving ".
One chap left before opening. The door latch required repair.
I think an exit strategy is difficult to produce in the face of so many variables. Wouldn't that be similar to telling the future ?
Even the silly suggestion s you make are, well, silly.
Unless you make some sort of joke then it's not silly at all, but a tad sickly maybe.
So now I guess I should google exit strategies....
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 12:57   #134
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

girleee--yer gonna get no where unless yer listening to boatie-- ha ha ha ha
that guy wanting to sail sea of cortez in a catamaran and has a spare ama would be a good thing to do-and as i am here in mazatlan, it is a short swim if you have to jump overboard or get pushed off. safety net services is us..ha ha ha ha
only you can figure out your money brain. gawd knows i aint got one.. so i live check to check--
there are so many potentials and possibilities.
if i were you i would.... yada yada ha ha ha ha ha
naaaaahhhh-
do what was in your mind and take care of you the way best for you an d have fun with all these possibilities
life is a misadventure meant to be LIVED
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 13:15   #135
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
So now I guess I should google exit strategies....
Exit strategy? Simple. You suddenly find u can't fooin sail no more, so sell the boat (for whatever u can get after using it for 10-20 years or scraps if it actually SANK nearby), take some of that bank money YOU SAVED FOR SUCH A TIME and buy a trailer and make cute carvings out of Green apples. That's one strategy.

Want another? That one's FREE. I got a ton of them. I can sell you one of SaltyMonkey's Strategies® -- for Humans who have no imagination for backup plans but like to suggest going out there without anything at all like charts or a life-raft or EPIRB.