Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2016, 13:02   #106
cruiser

Re: Professional therapy, motivational coach, or CF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
Touché' ouch!
Keno I'm sure I can be accused of piling on here but I could care less at this point.
Your practice of whizzing in everyone else's wheaties is tiring.
But it does become you , as you come across to be very full of yourself.
You could make your case, point out why it works for you . Perhaps refrain from trying to blow holes in all others opinion. Yet that not the worst, it's the manner in which you do it. It makes you less credible, more incredible.
Whether you take this all as bait or advice , that's your prerogitive.
Other than that , have a wonderful day in spite of yourself.
Basically, I couldn't care any less what you think.

"...Have a Nice Day" ;-)
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 13:06   #107

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Basically, I couldn't care any less what you think.

"Have a Nice Day". ;-)
Sometimes they just don't seem to have the right emojis, do they?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 13:19   #108
CLOD

Boat: none

starting to get good now :bow :
Old 29-08-2016, 13:32   #109

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Sometimes they just don't seem to have the right emojis, do they?
The mods won't allow the flip o the bird emoticon, aye ?
I already knew what he cared.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 14:13   #110

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This discussion, like so many on CF, is not about how much money one needs, or what your investments should look like. It's about security and freedom; it's about finding some level of certainty in an uncertain future.

Some need to have it all mapped out, to know where they're going, how they're going to get there, and most importantly, how they're going to pay for it all. Others are content to live with less certainty about it all, to believe they will figure it out as they go, and respond to the challenges as necessary.

Most of us are somewhere in between...

We all come at this from different perspectives, different experiences, different skills, and with different responsibilities and needs. As someone who is debt-free, with no kids and few obligations, I have the luxury of being more relaxed about the future. Others have different situations. This is why these conversations become so interesting (heated, difficult, challenging)... there is no Right Answer For All.

Find your way ... or don't. Life doesn't owe any of us anything. How much of one's life/time we exchange for certainty is up to each of us. Some (many) exchange too much. Some (perhaps me) don't exchange enough. All any of us can do is the best we can.

Thanks for that, Mike. This is reminding me of the "acceptable risk" thread, and that's another of those cases where one does what one does, and deals with the results, until one doesn't.

It doesn't take $1 ,million to die, only falling in front of a truck. One is not obligated to allow the medical profession to seduce one into experiments on oneself, either. We have choices.

One of the choices is how high on the hog one wants to eat. For some, being surrounded by 80 footers and up, might sound uncomfortable, not fun at all. Each to his own.

Ann
Old 30-08-2016, 06:07   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Some need to have it all mapped out, to know where they're going, how they're going to get there, and most importantly, how they're going to pay for it all. Others are content to live with less certainty about it all, to believe they will figure it out as they go, and respond to the challenges as necessary.
....................... ............
This is my favorite part of another one of those insightful Mike OReilly posts.
Thanks for this Mike!

It seems to me that there is another need that so many have. Some need to make sure that everyone knows how well they are doing compared to others,- or how much they are able to afford compared to others,- or how little they need compared to others, - or how exotic their cruising lives are compared to others.

It's good to know what can be achieved, but not so good to hear so much that is exceptional.
Old 30-08-2016, 07:13   #112

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
This is my favorite part of another one of those insightful Mike OReilly posts.
Thanks for this Mike!

It seems to me that there is another need that so many have. Some need to make sure that everyone knows how well they are doing compared to others,- or how much they are able to afford compared to others,- or how little they need compared to others, - or how exotic their cruising lives are compared to others.

It's good to know what can be achieved, but not so good to hear so much that is exceptional.
Yep... good point!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 07:32   #113
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
See.. 500euros Can go a long way..
I only free dive.. but these days I'm limited to 5-10metres.. feel the cold much quicker than I used to.. struggle to reach 10 in the med apart from around Greece.
If you are shooting 10 m that's pretty damng good, Boaty.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 07:35   #114
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
If you are shooting 10 m that's pretty damng good, Boaty.
He's right. When free diving in the Med it gets cold very quick below 10 meters. It comes on suddenly.
Old 30-08-2016, 07:45   #115

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post

So true Hudson
Old 30-08-2016, 08:00   #116

I'm staying in my job for 13 more months and then quitting and trying to circumnavigate the world. By that time I'll have no debt (FINALLY!), a small amount of savings (+a bit more in an RRSP) and a fully refit boat and be 35.

I'm not sure what I will do after that, but I cannot carry on working in an office, 9-5. It's killing me. I don't think I'll ever be able to 'retire' as such in the traditional sense of the word, but I also doubt that any other people my age will be able to either, noone I know owns property and are still struggling to pay off student debt.

Giving up an excellent career job for uncertainty is scary and I really am tempted to stay for just 'one more year' as it would quadruple to my cruising fund but I fear if I stayed another year I just wouldn't leave. Having to wait a year is bad enough as it is. I'll make it work.
Old 30-08-2016, 08:03   #117
cruiser

Quote:
So true Hudson
Mike,

I believe you're one of the head cheerleaders extolling the virtues of living with less or rather "how little they need" who Hudson refers to. Or, did you just feel like piling on with the others?

Go ahead.

Ken
Old 30-08-2016, 08:13   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Mike,

I believe you're one of the head cheerleaders extolling the virtues of "living with less" who Hudson refers to. Or, do you just feel like piling on with the others? Go ahead.
I'm well aware he was speaking about me Ken, as is everyone who is following. So thanks for pointing out the obvious .

Hmmm, can we guess who else might be included? I guess we're in good company, eh .
Old 30-08-2016, 08:13   #119
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
I'm staying in my job for 13 more months and then quitting and trying to circumnavigate the world. By that time I'll have no debt (FINALLY!), a small amount of savings (+a bit more in an RRSP) and a fully refit boat and be 35.

I'm not sure what I will do after that, but I cannot carry on working in an office, 9-5. It's killing me. I don't think I'll ever be able to 'retire' as such in the traditional sense of the word, but I also doubt that any other people my age will be able to either, noone I know owns property and are still struggling to pay off student debt.

Giving up an excellent career job for uncertainty is scary and I really am tempted to stay for just 'one more year' as it would quadruple to my cruising fund but I fear if I stayed another year I just wouldn't leave. Having to wait a year is bad enough as it is. I'll make it work.
A year goes by quick. If it will allow you to quadruple your cruising time, I'd say stick it out for another year. We're facing the same choice; If we work for two additional years (part time), we'll add over 20k income per year to the anual cruising kitty. It's too much to ignore.
Old 30-08-2016, 08:22   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post

(and just so I don't disappoint my friend Ken...)

If more is what you want, then much like the sign promising "Free Beer Tomorrow," you'll never get it. If you have a specific need or a specific goal that will be achieved in spending another year, then do it. Otherwise, if you currently have enough, go now!

If you're serious that your current life is "killing you" (and I understand that completely), then go now! You're right, of course, about the chances of having a normal retirement. The system is rigged against you (and I, and most of us).