Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2016, 17:43   #61

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Professional therapy, motivational coach, or CF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
What is wrong with todays people FFS..
See a shrink.. Get a motivation guru.. get someone to plan my life.. WTF..
Your income is X.. your expense's are Y.. Z set aside for emergencies and the rest stays in the gravy boat... SHEEEESSSSHHHHHHHHH..
Dr Spock and the post 70's education system has a lot to answer for.. chucked out a load of insecure dependant pussies.
Now I'll likely get folks bleeding about how tough their precious little lives have been.. my big sister stole my doll and the loss screwed my head up.
Well I got news kiddo.. lots of folks have had a tough life.. and others make those lives seem like a walk in the park..
Get a Bludi Grip and toss out the Baby Walkers..
Greatest post ever! I'm still laughing. I've just flown back to Oz, on the plane the lady next to me introduced herself and quickly let me know she was a "coach" of course I asked , what sort of coach? And of course the answer was "a life coach". This obviously set the tone of the discussion to come, I must have a sign on my head that says " fix me".
So, ive been in Melbourne for the week and what stands out to me is people are dying from comfort! A large majority are fat and ugly, the national pastime is buying stuff they don't need with money they don't have. They are dying physically and financially due to their never ending appetite for comfort, or what I percieve to be an unhealthy amount of comfort.
Everything has a cost regardless of what direction you take, determine the cost you can live with and take action. Security is a myth, both physically and financially, sure we can make plans and take actions to increase the odds from a security perspective, but ultimately life happens regardless.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 17:43   #62

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
If I had 150,000euros (500x300) I'd not invest it.. I'd be trying to spend it all on sex, drugs and rock n roll before I die..
Hmmm, 150,000 worth of sex, drugs and rock and roll? I think my heirs will be getting 149,000.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 17:46   #63
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Security is a myth, both physically and financially, sure we can make plans and take actions to increase the odds from a security perspective, but ultimately life happens regardless.
Oh, yeah? Well, just don't come beggin' for a penny from me when the **** hits the fan because of bad planning. I'm saving for my 300 month expenses and paying off my Life Coach.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 17:50   #64
cruiser

Everything is overpriced write now and we're in for a market correction. Advice given to me is Tax Free Muni's and REIT based funds.
Old 28-08-2016, 17:52   #65

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
So, ive been in Melbourne for the week and what stands out to me is people are dying from comfort! A large majority are fat and ugly, the national pastime is buying stuff they don't need with money they don't have. They are dying physically and financially due to their never ending appetite for comfort, or what I percieve to be an unhealthy amount of comfort.
Sounds exactly like what's wrong with America... I cannot wait to exit the rat race.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 18:42   #66

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

I hope you are wrong about a 70 yearold cruising limit. I turn 70 in October. I worked 6 years longer than I intended. I transferred into a dept where I loved the work and the bonuses were much much better. When I retired last year I bought my dream boat but I find that I am physically challenged under sail in big seas.

I have started a serious physical training program but progress at my age is slow. I really wish I had retired at 62 or did serious offshore vacations at age 50.

On the other hand a friend met a old sailor in Turkey who was still going at age 85. When asked his secret the old fellow said, "Xrews of twenty-something Australian women." I may have to check that out for myself.

My situation may argue the case for "go small go now."
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 18:44   #67

Crews
Old 28-08-2016, 18:46   #68

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelratinter View Post
Crews
Xrews sounds better
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 18:49   #69

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
300 / 12 = 25 years. You need 30. 30 Years and some of that money will come from SS and then there is inflation and medical bills.

theoreticlaly, you need 1 million dollars to die. Thats the rule that I learned
It's called the 4% rule, at X * 300 4% is your monthly income. the 3% is your inflation hedge. This is not a put the money in the bank and draw X monthly....

That's why I said the 7% ROI is required. There's still viable ways of doing this today...
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 18:53   #70
cruiser

A 7% ROI today might be possible. A 7% ROI when the market makes it turn will not. You will be burned. You should be looking at a safe 4% if you are lucky. Damned if you do and damned if you don't
Old 28-08-2016, 18:53   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Xrews sounds better
Not at age 85...
Old 28-08-2016, 18:55   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Monthly expenses x 300??

Bugger.

I better marry someone rich... Quick!

Or just cut your expenses? Not sure which is easier...

Quote:
If I had 150,000euros (500x300) I'd not invest it.. I'd be trying to spend it all on sex, drugs and rock n roll before I die..
Your ideas intrigue me, how can I subscribe to your news letter?

Even better, when you get the 150k, can we be friends?
Old 28-08-2016, 18:58   #73

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

WOW! Just read through the thread and excellent advice all around!
Thing is I know I'll be able to leave in 5 year's time at 60. By then I'll be allowed to draw on my retirement, and just wait until I'm 62 0r 65 or whatever the date is that I can sign up with Medicare. I'm just grumpy, anxious, and conniving a way that I might make that happen sooner.

Sorry Boaty if I'm coming off as a spoiled hippie from the 60's. Educated in the 70's. I don't expect anything handed to me. I've always worked, since 15. And being honest, I'm having a great big pity party for myself right now. Yes! I could try to make a go, quit my job, but where do the incoming funds come from? Minimal $1500 a month right? I can't touch my savings until I'm 60 or if I do I give 40%+ to government.

While I have a somewhat good grasp on general finance, it's beyond me to understand wise investments. For half a boat buck I could get a financial plan crafted for me, that may allow me to leave earlier than I thought, or at least guide me in proper investments for when I can.

So, next week my BIL has open heart surgery. His wife, my sister, just passed away 9 months ago. My father, 8 months previous to that. Our friends and family have had many conversations about our bucket lists, and enjoying life while you can. So there's a great source for my wanting to make things happen sooner, rather than later.

So I connive! I think about who'd hire me at 55 for only 6months a year. Maybe get my captain's license and run charters? Maybe just waitress where I land? Not sure. I was just trying to get some feedback about what has worked for others. This house will be gone soon, I will be living on a boat directly after that, I just want to leave now! LOL
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 19:01   #74
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
quickly let me know she was a "coach" of course I asked , what sort of coach? And of course the answer was "a life coach". This obviously set the tone of the discussion to come, I must have a sign on my head that says " fix me".
I was 26 when my Dad died and I didn't grieve 'properly' so I went to a psychologist.
She happened to live near me and after I had done a few sessions with her I heard a huge screaming match from her apartment between her and her husband. Neighbours said it happened all the time. (OK it was a smallish town)

'Life Coaches', psychologists etc listen to you ranting for an hour and charge the same as a Yanmar mechanic.

But I'll back the mechanic to fix a problem.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 19:02   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
A 7% ROI today might be possible. A 7% ROI when the market makes it turn will not. You will be burned. You should be looking at a safe 4% if you are lucky. Damned if you do and damned if you don't
I get your argument, right now the market is bad, but there's a cycle to it, it will shift again...

It's a matter of timing, I can't tell you what the timing is and I don't know myself - I just follow my gut instinct and usually things work out ok...

It's that old thing of Risk vs reward and finding the sweet spot.

At the end of the day, I make my own security, by ensuring that my skills are in demand and of the highest quality within my own ability. I've never been without work unless I wanted to be without it...

Oh and I should probably mention that I'm nowhere near retirement age, I still have time to recover from anything nasty. I realise that's not an option for a lot of people on this forum.