Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2016, 08:16   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Professional therapy, motivational coach, or CF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

Forget about the eating beans and rice crowd,
I make them sleep on deck. The cabin smell much better that way
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 08:25   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 54 DS

Gadagirl,
It is not an easy decision to make because if you are mentally bound to reality, one does need money to live on throughout the rest of our lives. Saving for some form of retirement is necessary unless you are in the 1%. Those of us reality bound folks work, save, then retire, and enjoy what is left for as long as possible. You can live on a boat even after cruising. I am about to become a live aboard in October and have some income from investments and SS and will continue to work half time by computer from the Caribbean. It is not perfect, but I will not have to deal with winter this year and that makes it worth the compromise. Life is always a series of compromises made with your self and often others in the mix. Fatty and Carolyn, Lynn and Larry are 3 standard deviations from the norm.
How about moving to Florida or the Gulf Coast, working part time and starting life on a boat. If it is a dream come true, bail on life on land. If you can wait for awhile...continue to work and sail and enjoy living on a boat. Compromise. Long journeys require steps and not necessarily leaps.
Good luck, fair wins, following seas, NAMASTE...
bjymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 08:26   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hmmm, two years ago we recieved free dockage for over three weeks in three different locations. In one location the local mechanic dropped everything to help us, and in the end charged us nothing but the cost of the oil (along with asking us to buy him some rum when we went into the local liquor store. He paid for the rum, and lent us his car to do the trip).

Not saying that's the norm. I haven't been doing it long enough to know what the norm is. I've found that, as with life in general, you tend to get back what you put out. And being in an unusual boat probably doesn't hurt either .

Yes, it definitely costs money to do this sort of thing. So does any life these days. Compared to land life, life afloat lends itself to being cheaper, but that depends on your choices, including where and how you choose to cruise.

None of us can know the future ... except to say that we'll all be dead relatively soon. How much of your life you want to spend closing the gap of uncertainty is something only answerable by each of us. Life's a risk. Running out of money, or various other failures, are always options. Understanding how much uncertainty you can live with is the key.
Old 28-08-2016, 08:30   #19
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

The last few months when people asked me how I could stop working I've told them "I can alway go make more money, but I can not make more years." Not saying I'm going in poverty with a $3000/mo budget, but I'm not going to live the high life and am taking a risk.

So it all is a risk just as land living is, it's just taking different risks for the hope of different rewards.
Old 28-08-2016, 08:33   #20
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I hate to say this, and I thought i would never say this buttt....

MarkJ is right.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 08:46   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Hmmm, two years ago we recieved free dockage for over three weeks in three different locations. In one location the local mechanic dropped everything to help us, and in the end charged us nothing but the cost of the oil (along with asking us to buy him some rum when we went into the local liquor store. He paid for the rum, and lent us his car to do the trip).

Not saying that's the norm. I haven't been doing it long enough to know what the norm is. I've found that, as with life in general, you tend to get back what you put out. And being in an unusual boat probably doesn't hurt either ..
Hmmm, you're in for a real shock when you sail down the east coast of the USA and eventually the Caribbean. Better have your wallet ready. A double whammy awaits you, sticker shock and an unfavorable monitary exchange rate. You might wanna just head directly over here to eastern Europe.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 09:10   #22

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Hmmm, you're in for a real shock when you sail down the east coast of the USA and eventually the Caribbean. Better have your wallet ready. A double whammy awaits you, sticker shock and an unfavorable monitary exchange rate. You might wanna just head directly over here to eastern Europe.
My point was not to say things are free Ken. My point is, you can still find examples of kindness and generosity if you are open to it.

But you're exactly right about where people like me need to go. It's folly to expect to cruise on a small budget in a rich, expensive and touristy land. It's folly to expect to spend much time in marinas or cities. It's also folly to think I can cruise in a large, expensive boat, with all the trappings of modern land life.

Life is about choices, and about understanding what is most important to each of us. If beans and rice are necessary so I don't have to go back to work for 6 months of each year, then bring on the beans!
Old 28-08-2016, 09:17   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjymd View Post
Gadagirl,
It is not an easy decision to make because if you are mentally bound to reality,...
Probably the best sentence I've read on CF differentiating cruisers from armchair sailors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The last few months when people asked me how I could stop working I've told them "I can alway go make more money, but I can not make more years."
...ain't that the truth!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 09:34   #24

Options that I am considering in preparation for the same journey:
Move to Costa Rica and file the necessary papers to become a long term resident. (not a citizen)
Sign up for national health insurance. There are basically three levels. The top level (last time I looked) is about $150 a month. Covers everything.
And the cost of living in Costa Rica? Well....it's like sailing. If you live like a native, it's pretty cheap. If you live like you're in New York, it's gonna cost you like New York.
Getting work done on the boat? Labor is cheap, parts are expensive. (import tax)
And you don't want to register your boat in Costa Rica, because you would first have to 'import' your boat to Costa Rica. Think 80% to 100% import tax. Based on what they say your boat is worth, not based on what you could actually sell it for. So even if you live there, your boat needs to be a visitor. Unless you buy the boat there.
Option 2, income:I am a reasonably good mechanic. I can rebuild an engine, and you can count on that engine to keep running as long as upkeep is done. Also, I plan to do some writing. Set up a blog, learn to monetize it. Create a brand, and monetize that also. Some people reading this will question my writing skills, but a lot of people questioned Hemmingway's writing skills, and he did all right. Also, as someone else pointed out, you probably have some skills which can be put to use as a part time income. (e.g. Work as a flag girl for construction companies in the summer)
Related: Learn about index funds. They won't make you rich but they are a relatively safe, low overhead investment vehicle. I recommend DIA, SPY, and QQQ. (all three, not one of the above) Do your own due diligence, and don't use brokers. Etrade, Scottrade, Ameritrade, etc. will all do just fine for this kind of simple investing. And at a much lower cost, plus easy availability online or over the phone. Good luck with your decision. I hope I've given you some useful input.
Robert C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 09:38   #25
cruiser

Costa Rica is no longer a great place for retirement due to increased crime, thanks to market crashes. I've already looked into this. Check out some other options including Portugal and Panama.
Old 28-08-2016, 09:42   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Costa Rica is no longer a great place for retirement due to increased crime, thanks to market crashes. I've already looked into this. Check out some other options including Portugal and Panama.
Panama???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.gif
Views:	96
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	130173  
Old 28-08-2016, 09:54   #27
cruiser

Kenomac still has his bald head underwater. We are all glad he is WAYYYYYYY over there in eurotrash land where he belongs.
Old 28-08-2016, 09:56   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Professional therapy, motivational coach, or CF?

Quote:
Panama???
Seems to fit the bill nicely for Jedi.. and Pacific side is nice.. try it..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 09:58   #29
cruiser

Portugal is at the top of many lists I have read for ideal Expat locations.
Old 28-08-2016, 10:12   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Kenomac still has his bald head underwater. We are all glad he is WAYYYYYYY over there in eurotrash land where he belongs.
Yep, Pacific Panama looks like more fun than a barrel of salty monkeys. This pirate attack video was shot just a few months ago by the "Sailing la Vagabond" couple sailing off Panama.

Yes, it definitely looks like a great place to live and sail.... NOT!

I also know first hand of a solo woman sailor who was attacked off Eastern Panama, who narrowly escaped by shooting and killing two of her attackers.

Yes, definitely a cruising paradise.