Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-08-2016, 02:45   #91
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
Re: Professional therapy, motivational coach, or CF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Gadagirl, I know i'm known for lengthy posts, but besides a comment to Baoatie, which is that pyshcologists can indeed help when the participant(s) in counseling are motivated, is that once you are debt free, and in your case, the house turned into a cruising kitty, from that point, it's all about time vs. money. If you have faith that you could keep body and sould together on SS or even OAS (Old Age Assistance), then there is no reason to stay. The more time you give up to money, the less time for play of your choice you have.

Now , if your play constitutes of gambling or other well known ways of throwing away money, this will not help.

Ann
Hi Ann.. maybe some need it.. maybe my sunset of the Empire semi Victorian upbringing toughened me up more than a life in the cosy West would have.. but in spite of what most folk would label Major Traumas in my life.. and there have been a few I have never needed counciling.. could be being the only white kid at my schools toughened me up mentally.. or maybe I am just a realist about humanity being raised in a land of many religions.. To me 'Trick Cyclists' are just that.. peddlars of tricks..
Gadagirl.. you want security..?
Your boat will be your security.. if it has sails.. never ahain will you be 'stuck'.. you can move at will to greener pastures.. none of the USA bullshit of re-registering in another State like you've changed countries.
Its not your financial situation thats your problem.. its that Box your brains been stuffed in for 55yrs..
Your like the guy who when asked why he voted Labour replied.. Because my Dad and G'dad did..
Aint no 401K.. whatever that is in my pocket.. whether you choose to believe it or not.. but I go to as many.. if not more.. places as Oyster owners and can eat and drink as well as they do.. maybe not in a restaurant but my galley is international..
Step outa that box.. $1500/mth.. already your 3xbetter off than me..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 04:20   #92
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

I'm been practicing for years on my fall back plan in case my plan doesn't financial plan.

"Welcome to Walmart."

How did I do?

Old 29-08-2016, 04:39   #93
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Aint no 401K.. whatever that is in my pocket.. whether you choose to believe it or not.. but I go to as many.. if not more.. places as Oyster owners and can eat and drink as well as they do.. maybe not in a restaurant but my galley is international..
On only €500 per month, I seriously doubt that. But it probably feels good to expell all that hot air.
Old 29-08-2016, 04:40   #94
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I'm been practicing for years on my fall back plan in case my plan doesn't financial plan.

"Welcome to Walmart."

How did I do?
Your planning has been fantastic, $3000 per month, you'll live like a king in some places and do just fine.
Old 29-08-2016, 05:16   #95

Boat: Rafiki 37

This discussion, like so many on CF, is not about how much money one needs, or what your investments should look like. It's about security and freedom; it's about finding some level of certainty in an uncertain future.

Some need to have it all mapped out, to know where they're going, how they're going to get there, and most importantly, how they're going to pay for it all. Others are content to live with less certainty about it all, to believe they will figure it out as they go, and respond to the challenges as necessary.

Most of us are somewhere in between...

We all come at this from different perspectives, different experiences, different skills, and with different responsibilities and needs. As someone who is debt-free, with no kids and few obligations, I have the luxury of being more relaxed about the future. Others have different situations. This is why these conversations become so interesting (heated, difficult, challenging)... there is no Right Answer For All.

Find your way ... or don't. Life doesn't owe any of us anything. How much of one's life/time we exchange for certainty is up to each of us. Some (many) exchange too much. Some (perhaps me) don't exchange enough. All any of us can do is the best we can.
Old 29-08-2016, 05:19   #96

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This discussion, like so many on CF, is not about how much money one needs, or what your investments should look like. It's about security and freedom; it's about finding some level of certainty in an uncertain future.

Some need to have it all mapped out, to know where they're going, how they're going to get there, and most importantly, how they're going to pay for it all. Others are content to live with less certainty about it all, to believe they will figure it out as they go, and respond to the challenges as necessary.

Most of us are somewhere in between...

We all come at this from different perspectives, different experiences, different skills, and with different responsibilities and needs. As someone who is debt-free, with no kids and few obligations, I have the luxury of being more relaxed about the future. Others have different situations. This is why these conversations become so interesting (heated, difficult, challenging)... there is no Right Answer For All.

Find your way ... or don't. Life doesn't owe any of us anything. How much of one's life/time we exchange for certainty is up to each of us. Some (many) exchange too much. Some (perhaps me) don't exchange enough. All any of us can do is the best we can.
A1..
Old 29-08-2016, 05:52   #97
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

<munch munch>

We all come at this from different perspectives...there is no Right Answer For All.

<munch munch> All any of us can do is the best we can.
Welll,,,,

that was sweet.

You will find me in Boaty's international kitchen as he has invited ALL of us over for dinner. That's my perspective!

Old 29-08-2016, 06:14   #98
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Being one who has asked and chased budget type questions for years here I will tell you:

The best way to get a feel for the budget YOU should plan on is to look for blogs of people out there. That way you get to learn what style they cruise, where they cruise, their ages, lifestyle, boat and amount of DIY work they do, etc. and then ask yourself if that is a match for you.

Beyond that the next major thing to determine is if you are going to cruise, or are you really going to live on a boat (even if you move once in a while to a different location).
Old 29-08-2016, 11:44   #99

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1970 Paceship Cruisette20, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
300 / 12 = 25 years. You need 30. 30 Years and some of that money will come from SS and then there is inflation and medical bills.

theoreticlaly, you need 1 million dollars to die. Thats the rule that I learned
Theoretically perhaps , but realistically a pee in the bucket does the trick for the vast majority.
Money used as a measuring stick for everything is just a bit redundant for many , whether they be survivalist, preppers, greenies, cruisers, when shtf, paper and electronic monies are useless cept to start fires perhaps.

Talk to people who lost their 401 to crooked corporate.
Try to stay away from the medical doctors and shrinks, they just ringing the cash register. Spend wisely on proper clean food. Proper nutrition really tastes good and can alter you positively physically and mentally.

I will not trust a Wall Street "suit" nor get rich quick schemers.
Invest in yourself, teach yourself.
Old 29-08-2016, 11:44   #100

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Professional therapy, motivational coach, or CF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
On only €500 per month, I seriously doubt that. But it probably feels good to expell all that hot air.
Keno.. unlike you I have not such a large ego to feed..
You'd eat frontline.. I go 4th or 5th line and get the same food for 1/3 the price..
I've seen to many of your posts and know your nervous of straying from the beaten yachtie tourist path.. hell.. a couple of years back you were wetting your pants about Minorca..

"Your not drunk if you can lay on the floor without holding on..."
Old 29-08-2016, 12:20   #101
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm livin' pretty good over here in Croatia on 10-15 euros per day whilst surrounded by mega yachts. Going scuba diving on Thursday with an organized group two tank dive for only 40 euros, jeez... Mexico cost $90 and Honduras was $80.

Just filled up in Montenegro with some .52 cent per liter duty free diesel. Hmmmm.... Maybe that's why all the mega yachts hang around here. An 885 Oyster anchored next door this evening, he's probably doing the same.

'Must be doing something right.
Old 29-08-2016, 12:30   #102
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

There are plenty of other things worse investing than in some mutual funds, such as buying a boat for profit
Old 29-08-2016, 12:37   #103

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Professional therapy, motivational coach, or CF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I'm livin' pretty good over here in Croatia on 10-15 euros per day whilst surrounded by mega yachts. Going scuba diving on Thursday with an organized group two tank dive for only 40 euros, jeez... Mexico cost $90 and Honduras was $80.

Just filled up in Montenegro with some .52 cent per liter duty free diesel. Hmmmm.... Maybe that's why all the mega yachts hang around here. An 885 Oyster anchored next door this evening, he's probably doing the same.

'Must be doing something right.
See.. 500euros Can go a long way..
I only free dive.. but these days I'm limited to 5-10metres.. feel the cold much quicker than I used to.. struggle to reach 10 in the med apart from around Greece.

"Your not drunk if you can lay on the floor without holding on..."
Old 29-08-2016, 12:42   #104
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Switch to a thermal G-String.
Old 29-08-2016, 12:47   #105

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1970 Paceship Cruisette20, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Keno.. unlike you I have not such a large ego to feed..
You'd eat frontline.. I go 4th or 5th line and get the same food for 1/3 the price..
I've seen to many of your posts and know your nervous of straying from the beaten yachtie tourist path.. hell.. a couple of years back you were wetting your pants about Minorca..
Touché' ouch!
Keno I'm sure I can be accused of piling on here but I could care less at this point.
Your practice of whizzing in everyone else's wheaties is tiring.
But it does become you , as you come across to be very full of yourself.
You could make your case, point out why it works for you . Perhaps refrain from trying to blow holes in all others opinion. Yet that not the worst, it's the manner in which you do it. It makes you less credible, more incredible.
Whether you take this all as bait or advice , that's your prerogitive.
Other than that , have a wonderful day in spite of yourself.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: