Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-08-2016, 19:28   #76
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Professional therapy, motivational coach, or CF?

Yes but the dollar averaging (by a constant investment) which you are betting on at 7% will be gone because you have no income anymore to cover the ups and downs. When you retire you need to play safe with your investments. So that 7% ain't worth doodle.

That means leading up to your retirement is when you need to be aggressive in your investment choices to build w/ higher %. The further you are out, the more riskier you can afford to be. If you are low on funds, like many of us are and close to retirement, you also need to play aggressive (counterintuitive to retirement) or come up with a poor man's strategy and play safe.

Right now the market is flaky, what with overvalue and with interest rate scares, the election etc. Staying in cash isn't good though. Bonds are also suspect unless short term, MUNI, REIT. Stocks doing AOK and some say you cannot get away from NOT investing even if interest rates rise.

Anyway, its still a damn if you do / don't scenario. Pick something of moderate risk, spread it out and go for low load funds if you are new to the game and don't have much capital. Keep some as backup.

Old 28-08-2016, 19:36   #77

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben View Post
I get your argument, right now the market is bad, but there's a cycle to it, it will shift again...

It's a matter of timing, I can't tell you what the timing is and I don't know myself - I just follow my gut instinct and usually things work out ok...

It's that old thing of Risk vs reward and finding the sweet spot.

At the end of the day, I make my own security, by ensuring that my skills are in demand and of the highest quality within my own ability. I've never been without work unless I wanted to be without it...

Oh and I should probably mention that I'm nowhere near retirement age, I still have time to recover from anything nasty. I realise that's not an option for a lot of people on this forum.
I too have never been unemployed except by my own choice. The point of my thread is not employment so much as it's about unemployment, or part time employment, in order to be on the water cruising sooner.

Old 28-08-2016, 19:55   #78

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
I too have never been unemployed except by my own choice. The point of my thread is not employment so much as it's about unemployment, or part time employment, in order to be on the water cruising sooner.
You already know the answer to your question, don't you? What does your gut tell you?
Old 28-08-2016, 20:16   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I will nip here: " ... A visit to a financial planner is in store for me this year ...".

A.

Alternatives.

What about learning the basics of financial planning yourself?

Are your finances so broad and diverse that it takes a pro to decide for you what is best?

A financial planner = a cost.

Cut costs, create inflows.

Imagine you postpone the visit and go for learning financial planning now. In a year, you have a new skill. You resolve your financial planning doubts in the process.

You may also resolve some of your financial uncertainties in the same process.

You may also simplify your finances in the same period. Simple finances need no financial planners.

You gain a skill, you cut the costs, you may start developing a marketable skill to deploy in your second life, after cruising. Just keep on learning and take exams.

Etc.

Where there is a challenge, try to see an opportunity.

Cheers,
b.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
What is wrong with todays people FFS..
See a shrink.. Get a motivation guru.. get someone to plan my life.. WTF..
Your income is X.. your expense's are Y.. Z set aside for emergencies and the rest stays in the gravy boat... SHEEEESSSSHHHHHHHHH..
Dr Spock and the post 70's education system has a lot to answer for.. chucked out a load of insecure dependant pussies.
Now I'll likely get folks bleeding about how tough their precious little lives have been.. my big sister stole my doll and the loss screwed my head up.
Well I got news kiddo.. lots of folks have had a tough life.. and others make those lives seem like a walk in the park..
Get a Bludi Grip and toss out the Baby Walkers..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Boatman61 is right, but Barnikeil said it more eloquently (suffer, Phil )

WTFE! I have reasons to seek professional financial advice. I'm not going to, in a years time of studying, ever going to get a full grasp on how our financial markets are run! I'll spend that time packing boxes and boat shopping, for gods sake! Wonderful that you all have superior experience in investment portfolios for 401Ks in America! Good on you! Mock me all you want! Truth is it's more complex than our health care system and you stand to loose a lot through 1 stupid mistake. So yes, I'll pay my $500 to a fiduciary that is working for me rather than the "free" advice given from a brokerage firm. Most American corporate sponsored 401Ks are making millions, maybe billions in "service" fees. These are charged to the employees, not the employers. So yeah $500 spent for a sound plan and sound advice vs. what you spent on 1 boat part last week
Old 28-08-2016, 20:31   #80
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

this is getting.....interest%-ing
Old 28-08-2016, 20:42   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Yes but the dollar averaging (by a constant investment) which you are betting on at 7% will be gone because you have no income anymore to cover the ups and downs. When you retire you need to play safe with your investments. So that 7% ain't worth doodle.

That means leading up to your retirement is when you need to be aggressive in your investment choices to build w/ higher %. The further you are out, the more riskier you can afford to be. If you are low on funds, like many of us are and close to retirement, you also need to play aggressive (counterintuitive to retirement) or come up with a poor man's strategy and play safe.

Right now the market is flaky, what with overvalue and with interest rate scares, the election etc. Staying in cash isn't good though. Bonds are also suspect unless short term, MUNI, REIT. Stocks doing AOK and some say you cannot get away from NOT investing even if interest rates rise.

Anyway, its still a damn if you do / don't scenario. Pick something of moderate risk, spread it out and go for low load funds if you are new to the game and don't have much capital. Keep some as backup.
Quote:
You already know the answer to your question, don't you? What does your gut tell you?
No I don't have my full answer. You and SaltyMonkey have given me the true financial advice. Advice I've heard over the years. However, I'm stomping me feet, pounding my fists in a childish temperamental rage because I want to leave now! By conceding to the formula, as I've always done, it means I can't leave yet! And I did ask for truth I just am trying to draw out maybe some more creative and legal (kinda funny, but kinda sad, I'd have to specify legality issues here) ideas because I'm conniving to leave sooner than what was planned.
Old 28-08-2016, 20:51   #82

Quote:
No I don't have my full answer. You and SaltyMonkey have given me the true financial advice. Advice I've heard over the years. However, I'm stomping me feet, pounding my fists in a childish temperamental rage because I want to leave now! By conceding to the formula, as I've always done, it means I can't leave yet! And I did ask for truth I just am trying to draw out maybe some more creative and legal (kinda funny, but kinda sad, I'd have to specify legality issues here) ideas because I'm conniving to leave sooner than what was planned.
You seem to be in denial or something... either that or my incessant need to make sense is getting in my way of reasoning.... Your first sentence is contrary to the rest....
Old 28-08-2016, 21:04   #83

Quote:
You seem to be in denial or something... either that or my incessant need to make sense is getting in my way of reasoning.... Your first sentence is contrary to the rest....
Yes, your right. It's contrary. That's why admitted that i asked for truths but I'm being childish by rejecting them. I want creativity! I will consign myself to 5 more years labor. Still, there's a glimmer of hope in my heart, so i want feed back and ideas on how others did it/doing it. 3 ideas don't count, 1 winning the lottery, 2 meeting a wealthy partner, 3 a go fund me account.
Old 28-08-2016, 21:11   #84

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Oh, yeah? Well, just don't come beggin' for a penny from me when the **** hits the fan because of bad planning. I'm saving for my 300 month expenses and paying off my Life Coach.
Well I've been retired on a good income for quite sometime and planning has played a big part of that BUT that doesn't make next year a sure thing, thus the security is a myth comment. In saying that, im quite confident it would be more likely I lending you the penny.
Read my whole post next time , dont just cherry pick because it suits your need for attention.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-08-2016, 21:18   #85

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Not sure if this helps or not, but my in-laws in Honduras have always said I could make a good living in central America teaching English.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 21:21   #86

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Everything is overpriced write now and we're in for a market correction. Advice given to me is Tax Free Muni's and REIT based funds.
I agree with the bubble line of thought and believe there is a major economic problem on the horizon. Im in the process of restructuring, trading yield for hopefully more secure assets (real things). But as I posted earlier there's no guarantees, anyone that tells you they have a guaranteed secure investment is lieing. If it has a yield it has a risk.
I also work on the 4% rule. Generally less yield less risk.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-08-2016, 21:32   #87

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1970 Paceship Cruisette20, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
I hate to say this, and I thought i would never say this buttt....

MarkJ is right.
What Mark says is right for Mark and you too , but not necessarily right for everyone else.
Gadagirl, take all comments with a grain of salt, heck maybe a dash or two of salt. Ultimately , you make your own decision as to how and what works for you. After this thread is done and gone, you will have more suggestions and comments than you'd care to have. Pick the ones you like to embrace in your quest for the freedom you require. Eliminate the ones that don't fit for you.
Opinions are like... well , you know.
Everyone makes trade-offs or compromises. Some will say make no compromises, is that sensible?
My two cents, m oreily and boatman make good sense.
My boats have plenty of beans and rice, I mean PLENTY. That not compromise it's good sense. But spice is the key to life, no? Also to food.
Beans worked well for Radshack, Meshack, and Abednego, lol.
Now I will say ramen noodles ain't gonna cut it, not without rice or beans anyway, hehe.
Above all never let fear/fright decide for you. Often fear is a word used as synonymous with respect. In useage , fear this, or respect this . Fear God , or, respect God.
Don't be afraid.
Now, that's just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt at least.
May you live forever, all the blessings and best wishes.
I think you will be fine as you show concern, don't allow your concern to overwhelm your goal.
Old 28-08-2016, 21:39   #88

Quote:
Yes, your right. It's contrary. That's why admitted that i asked for truths but I'm being childish by rejecting them. I want creativity! I will consign myself to 5 more years labor. Still, there's a glimmer of hope in my heart, so i want feed back and ideas on how others did it/doing it. 3 ideas don't count, 1 winning the lottery, 2 meeting a wealthy partner, 3 a go fund me account.
I mentioned a 4th, you may have missed it. Reduce your monthly expenditure. Strip life back to the bare essentials (you might not like this option).

Ask yourself this: What levels of survival am I willing to drop to in order to do this?

If you're willing to go vegetarian (for the record, I'm not, bacon is too delicious I'd get depressed) you can feed yourself for a lot less. If you're willing to preserve your own canned food when fresh food is on special you can save a lot there too. I'd suggest fishing, but it's called fishing and not catching for a reason so it's not to be relied upon.

If you want creative, read sailing the farm by Ken Neumeyer, granted it's old (and out of print) but it will give you some food for thought. It might not all be practical, but if you're creative you might come up with some great ideas. Previously Annie Hill's book was suggested too, it's worth a read since there's plenty of useful information in it. Read more Pardey books, they have some great advice that may or may not be applicable directly today.

The bottom line is you could probably live on less than you think, unless you're already on the $500 per month track. Everything comes at a cost, not everything costs money though...

At the end of the day, you're the only one who can make the call. Do not listen to anything any of us are saying! We're not the ones who will be living with the consequences of your decisions - good or bad.
Old 28-08-2016, 22:04   #89

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1970 Paceship Cruisette20, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Gadagirl !
Wow lots went down here while I delayed that last post....
At the risk of even sounding facetious, please read your quote at the bottom of your posts.
You can shatcan Wall Street , (ya think they'll throw you a lifebouy?)and all of the comments on this thread.
Dang it except this request...😎
Read it with comprehension, embrace it , take it to heart. Isn't that why you put it there ? If you don't believe it, delete it

I wonder about all the stressing on this forum sometimes. I'm guilty myself of it. Stress is not good. I'm going for a beer.
Old 29-08-2016, 00:43   #90

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Gadagirl, I know i'm known for lengthy posts, but besides a comment to Baoatie, which is that pyshcologists can indeed help when the participant(s) in counseling are motivated, is that once you are debt free, and in your case, the house turned into a cruising kitty, from that point, it's all about time vs. money. If you have faith that you could keep body and sould together on SS or even OAS (Old Age Assistance), then there is no reason to stay. The more time you give up to money, the less time for play of your choice you have.

Now , if your play constitutes of gambling or other well known ways of throwing away money, this will not help.

Ann

"Today's misfortune is tomorrow's adventure."
JPA Cate is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: