Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2016, 17:38   #286
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Professional therapy, motivational coach, or CF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Its called 'Justification by Provocation' Weavis..
I knew there would be some fancy Title..
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 17:48   #287

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

You poor souls. Delegating yourselves to humiliation of submission! Are you enchanted with fantasies of submission? !!!!! Whoo haa!An turn of off topic! So enticing! This thread has run it's course otherwise so have at it!' Let's have some fun!
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 18:03   #288

I was once married. He was a sorry excuse for a husband. He turned out to be an OK dad and an excellent grandpa! So alls well that ends well!
Old 05-09-2016, 18:07   #289
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
I was once married. He was a sorry excuse for a husband.
I rest my case..

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 18:43   #290

Boat: a sailing boat

Insurance is just soooooo personal.

I do not have med insurance because I cannot afford one. But I believe it IS the most important of all insurances one can get. Far more worth carrying than a boat insurance, should you be in the position to (have to) elect.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 18:52   #291
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Professional therapy, motivational coach, or CF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Insurance is just soooooo personal.

I do not have med insurance because I cannot afford one. But I believe it IS the most important of all insurances one can get. Far more worth carrying than a boat insurance, should you be in the position to (have to) elect.

b.
Paid 11% of my income to the State for my med insurance.. why get private insurance.. same hospitals.. same meds..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 21:04   #292

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Gada,
I'm legally blind . Retinal detachments and redetachments.Insurance ? After I went broke still had hundreds of thousands of bills. Had to go broke b4 Medicaid kicked in. After a time Medicare kicks in. Then you accrue more bills. Sometimes hospitals have Samaritan programs. Now we get letters saying you can't have Medicaid and Medicare at same time even if you qualify, it's called double dipping. Even tho legislatures been dipping into it since its inception.
No insurance brings sight back.
I said to the primary surgeon , I don't have insurance, he said don't worry, then he sued me after dancing with me.
Bad knee twisted in engine compartment, lol. Insurance can't fix it.
Bulged disc comes and goes, no dr will do surgery risk of paralysis. I missed a rung in the ladder going off topside today. At least pain pills are cheap.
When you buy insurance , ask for your copy to be printed on tissue paper, at least you can wipe with it comfortably.
Go now.
Grow old gracefully if you can, be careful, be well...
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 22:43   #293
cruiser

Gadagirl,

I've mentioned it several times on this thread but you haven't responded to the suggestion of working 6 months then cruising six months. It solves all your concerns like money, insurance etc. cruising doesn't have to be all or nothing; most successful cruisers do it part time.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:58   #294
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Gadagirl,

I've mentioned it several times on this thread but you haven't responded to the suggestion of working 6 months then cruising six months. It solves all your concerns like money, insurance etc. cruising doesn't have to be all or nothing; most successful cruisers do it part time.
The only part that solves is not having less money, which may be able to allow buying more insurance. In fact far as medical coverage in the US working part of the year may result in medical coverage costing more due the ACA subsidy being less or 0.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:20   #295

Boat: Rafiki 37

Like I said back in post #95, "This discussion, like so many on CF, is not about how much money one needs, or what your investments should look like. It's about security and freedom; it's about finding some level of certainty in an uncertain future."

You started this with the comment and plea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
I'm currently waiting 5 more years because I'd like to continue to contribute to my retirement fund. Should I seek cognitive therapy to stop the negative loop of thoughts? Those thoughts include......

I'd like to leave now. If you /we can collectively and creatively find/convince me, you/we could collectively convince others, in the spirit of Lynn and Larry's advice I ask you to bring it on! This is a mental thought challenge to you all!
Damn! Many of you make it seem so easy!
So, I guess you've found the answer that works for you. Work another five years. Save more for insurance purposes and retirement. This will buy you more security. This is what you (appear to) need. Nuthin' wrong with it.

The thing that my ilk are saying ... the thing which I perceive prompted your initial post ... is the possibility that you may never have enough security to actually go. I share this fear, which is partly why my partner and I arranged our affairs so that we'd have to go when we did. We knew we might never take the final step if not kicked out of the nest.

Not saying this applies to you. Just sharing my own experience while wrestling with these questions. Good luck. Hope to see you out here some day .
Old 06-09-2016, 15:43   #296

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Everybody's different. If you trust that you'll find a way to cope, even if the face of that turns out to be dying sooner rather than later, you're good to go now. I'll add, that a nurse friend of mine's health care directive states "no palliative care". The reason for that is that palliative care extends life, and she wants to go as cleanly as possible when the time has come. What is the purpose in prolonging life when the body is in rapid decline? Not all of us are Stephen Hawkins, nor anywhere near close. For me, it is quality of life that is the sticking point. If you're a person who has loved doing activities that use your body, all your life, loss of your capabilities may demoralize you. You may reach a point where you choose to refuse medical care because it will extend life. You're a long way from there now. Want to get there without living your dreams? If this dream doesn't fit, find one that will work for you.

It's your life.

Ann
Old 07-09-2016, 10:51   #297

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Consider this. It is not how long you live that matters but how well. We will all die. Will we all live?

S/V B'Shert
Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 22:04   #298

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Like I said back in post #95, "This discussion, like so many on CF, is not about how much money one needs, or what your investments should look like. It's about security and freedom; it's about finding some level of certainty in an uncertain future."

You started this with the comment and plea:

So, I guess you've found the answer that works for you. Work another five years. Save more for insurance purposes and retirement. This will buy you more security. This is what you (appear to) need. Nuthin' wrong with it.

The thing that my ilk are saying ... the thing which I perceive prompted your initial post ... is the possibility that you may never have enough security to actually go. I share this fear, which is partly why my partner and I arranged our affairs so that we'd have to go when we did. We knew we might never take the final step if not kicked out of the nest.

Not saying this applies to you. Just sharing my own experience while wrestling with these questions. Good luck. Hope to see you out here some day .

Mike
Did you say Partner?
I think this really makes a difference.
For many who don't have that partner you can count on, the one and only.
Some find it a little more difficult as they count on only them self to make all the decisions. Not that it can't be done however, there is no one to share the responsibility with or give the reassurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:15   #299

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
Mike
Did you say Partner?
I think this really makes a difference.
For many who don't have that partner you can count on, the one and only.
Some find it a little more difficult as they count on only them self to make all the decisions. Not that it can't be done however, there is no one to share the responsibility with or give the reassurance.

Yes, my spouse and I are partners in this adventure called life. I don't know what I'd be doing right now without her being fully engaged in this cruising life. Except to say that we probably wouldn't be doing it.

Having someone you can lean on definitely makes life easier. Although, the flip side is that it makes choices harder. You now have to satisfy two people's needs.

I sometime look with envy at my solo cruising friends (both in real life, and CFers). But this passes quickly. Life with my Ann is the most important thing. I wouldn't want to be doing this life thing alone.
Old 08-09-2016, 20:01   #300

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I rest my case..

Bwahaha hahaha So when a friend of mine was going through her own divorce she asked me advice on what I thought were my own failings/causes/responsibility for my divorce. My answer, "A very poor decision on my part." She laughed until she cried! She had expected (I suppose) a laundry list of all my matrimonial failings. And perhaps a list of his as well. But instead she got the short and simple answer. And to be honest the bigger answer is that we both chose poorly. Simple and fair. And not all wives and not all husbands are good for one another.