Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2019, 11:37   #61

Boat: TY37, formerly Paceship PY26
Re: Prepping a Catalina 22 for the Caribbean

Coast Guard Documentation.
Older salts: How far can one go into Carib. with just state registration?
Pat_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 13:18   #62

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_D View Post
I just sailed a PY26 from the Hudson to west FLA, en rte (next fall) to Caribbean so, this interests me.
I've been studying an older book, “The Gentleman’s Guide to Passages South”
By Bruce Van Sant.
Note I don't have experience in these waters, but the book focuses on how to do your uphill trip, with the least fighting the weather, even using it to your advantage. which seems to be the above posters' main concerns.
Any of you older salts have an opinion on Mr. Van Sant's ideas?

Review of
I have done Van Sant's route. Even met Van Sant in Luperon, his favorite anchorage. His route does not work once the Christmas winds have set in. I would not recommend that route to anyone in a 22 foot boat. I had a hard enough time of it in a 44 footer.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 20:19   #63

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_D View Post
Coast Guard Documentation.
Older salts: How far can one go into Carib. with just state registration?
Pretty sure you can go anywhere but better have a passport.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 09:44   #64

Boat: Shannon 52 RDP

Pick your weather window crossing the stream and you can have a lot of fun in the Bahamas with your C-22. If you're already cruising the FL keys extensively, you've probably already got what you need. Primarily, a bimini to protect from the sun, and a very good anchor. The Bahamas are notoriously difficult to anchor in, and the frequent thunderstorms make having a good anchoring set up critical for safety and piece of mind. C-22's have varied dramatically over the years from lightweight flyers, early models, to tubs that can't get out of there own way, typically mid eighties with the galley slide. Each has different challenges that would need to be addressed. I had a C-22 which I raced extensively and when I turned to cruising I decided to buy a larger boat rather than try to convert my racer into a cruiser. And I'm sure I was happier for it, but that's just me. If you are already happily cruising your c-22 in the keys, buy an Explorer Chartbook, pick your weather window and go for it!
R Hutcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 18:16   #65

Boat: Beneteau first 26

I wonder what op decides
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 08:05   #66
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Lots of people have sailed in more dangerous waters on boats your size.
Check out the Jester Challange website for some examples.
https://jesterchallenge.wordpress.com/

I owned a small 20ft Kingfisher 20 that was designed for ocean sailing.
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=4795

The Kingfisher has many features that make it a great little ocean cruiser.
1. High bridge deck with small entry into the cabin.
If the cockpit gets flooded it will not flow into the cabin.
2. Cockpit lockers are completely separate and do not drain into the bilge.
3. All Interior lockers are separate and do not drain into the bilge.
4. Great Mast support with 2 bulkheads under the mast.
5. Standing rigging is every strong with 9 wires holding up the mast.
3 on each side.
6. Solid floor with a locking bilge hatch.

Here are some videos about the K20

I would also add some cockpit boards that will make the entire cockpit one large flat surface.
This way when a wave enters into the cockpit most of the water will just go overboard and not fill up the cockpit.
Here is a video showing the cockpit boards at time 2:40.

Here is a good old book with lots of old school sailing knowedge.
For example on page 59 it shows how to rig up an bow anchor so you can deploy it from the cockpit.
https://www.amazon.com/Sailing-Illus...NM65GXFA36J9SC

Lets not forget Rodger Taylor who with is boat Mingming and MingmingII has sailing small boats all around the artic.
Here is a video about MingmingII
Some interesting Ocean Cruising features.

<TITLE>Introduction to the junk-rigged Corribee Mingming
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 15:58   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePeter View Post
Have you ever sailed a swing keeled boat in 6 foot waves?
Think about that.
Had a 1971 C22 with the swing keel. Took her out many times on Lake Erie with 10+ foot waves and 30+ knot winds. She did fine. Never could knock her down, the wind would just spill off the sails and she would right
paul28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 16:26   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul28 View Post
Had a 1971 C22 with the swing keel. Took her out many times on Lake Erie with 10+ foot waves and 30+ knot winds. She did fine. Never could knock her down, the wind would just spill off the sails and she would right
With the short fetch, aren't 10 foot waves on lake Erie basically only during a storm, dissipating within less than a day? So they're almost always breaking waves, not long period waves? That would be breaking waves almost the height of the spreaders (spreaders on a c22 are about 13 feet above the water), pretty tough conditions, definitely significant water over the deck on any point of sail.

Anyway, stumbled on this video. In the comments, the owner mentions some upgrades he did to his c22 to make it more ocean worthy. Extra bolts in the swing keel, narrowing the companion way, permanently fixing the pop top, and filling dead spaces with foam to provide positive flotation in a capsize or other water intrusion. He also uses very short tethers on a series of homemade jackline points.

Video link:

https://youtu.be/pTxokaKKbtw
jrau18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 18:13   #69

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

A couple of thoughts from an old Caribbean hand.

The term "duty cycle" is relevant. Anything that moves will be moving all the time. The motion wears everything out. I think swing keel is a very weak system in those circumstances. You cannot imagine how much action is imposed every moment of every day upon the boat.

On the other side. The Caribbean is stunning. Take several sets of hiking/running shoes. The best tipping is with fishing gear. Our best to Albert in Dominica.
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 22:50   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrau18 View Post
With the short fetch, aren't 10 foot waves on lake Erie basically only during a storm, dissipating within less than a day? So they're almost always breaking waves, not long period waves? That would be breaking waves almost the height of the spreaders (spreaders on a c22 are about 13 feet above the water), pretty tough conditions, definitely significant water over the deck on any point of sail.

When winds are blowing from the southwest Lake Erie has a long fetch. Not from a storm, from high weather patterns. Very short period waves.
paul28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:24   #71

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul28 View Post
Hard to believe.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:49   #72

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiee_King View Post
I'm only looking for suggestions on how to make the boat as capable as possible.
I'm really sorry the OP seems to have abandoned this thread. Being the owner of a swing keel C22, the above question is of interest to me. I often wonder what would fail first, and what I might do to make the boat stronger.

I have no illusions about sailing off to the Windwards in this boat, but we have sailed her as far as from Marco Island to the Dry Tortugas and back, and we're hoping to sail her to Bimini this coming spring.

The sails, rigging, ground tackle, electrical system, electronics, rudder, motor, and winches have all been replaced/upgraded. I need more projects!
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 15:56   #73

Boat: Hunter 33 Cherubini , Catalina 14.2

Sadly, I think the OP was overwhelmed by the response. He may have meant Bahamas when he stated Caribbean.

Miami to Bimini to Lake Worth in a well maintained C22 isn't unreasonable in my opinion but ONLY if you can pick your weather. If you can't wait you may have to fly back instead of chancing it. We get some big fronts in spring.

It sounds like your off to a great start. Many good suggestions were proposed in the thread. To add to your list I would suggest;

transom scuppers if your year model doesn't already have them,
mechanical fasteners for the companionway hatch boards and back up board,
a one piece rudder with the kick up as a back up,
lines led aft,
improved pop top hold downs,
verify your battery mounting is faultless,
We removed and our keel pivot gear for close inspection and replaced the bolts regardless of condition
Epoxied spacers to the keel to lessen excess play.
Replaced the chainplate hardware. It was removed for rebedding and one bolt failed being installed due to porosity corrosion. It was not noticeable during cleaning though would likely have been detected with dye testing.

The C22 is a great boat in her conditions. We found it uncomfortable outside when the average wave height hit about six. It relies a lot on structural stability with her flat bottom and the heel angle can be offsetting outside. Coming back through the inlet can be dangerous if you cannot pick your tide. The motor can be useless in some wind/wave combinations regardless of shaft length. You can have a really bad time if you don't plan well.

People cross in kayaks (see " crossing for a cause")

When discussing it with the old salts a common suggestion was "Just don't cross on anything that starts with a N". Very good advice. You don't want to ride the elephants in a Catalina 22.

.. and of course lots of experience with your boat.

Best Luck and Best Regards
Secondshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 18:15   #74

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

thinking back quite a few years, I remember that we had one spreader failure and one spreader socket failure in our very early model (hull #61) C-22, both resulting in mast failures. I'd advise beefing this area up considerably.

The above failures were whilst racing in SF bay with 3 or 4 crew being rail meat, so driving the boat pretty hard.

Jim

Tags
Caribbean, catalina, rib