Doing that.
Down 52#!!!
N1EYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 11:38   #62

Boat: Morgan 22
Plus-size skipper needs advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepCut View Post
I am PM you as I know obesity is a sensitive subject, but you brought it up. As background, I am a bariatric surgeon.

Getting around on a sail boat is challenging at times and especially with over 300 pounds. Injury to you would be difficult for your wife to manage the boat and you.

You did not mention if you have any medical issues, but certain medical issues respond dramatically to bariatric surgery and the loss of 80-120 pounds. Such as Diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, breathing issues , joint pain.... and of course, nearly all patients report having more mobility and more energy.

Weight loss surgery is way different than years ago, Risks of complications are excellent, and actually less than elective gallbladder surgery. Obviously, you want to select qualified/ experienced surgeon. Bypass or Sleeve based on individual issues.(FORGET Lap Band for many reasons.)

If you have not considered it, look into it. I would be happy to answer any questions and help you find a qualified program near you.

TurtonW@icloud.com

Wes Turton, MD

s/v Sea Tiger

I looked into that but as a prior nissen fundoplycation (?) patient, I was told the wrap nor the band were an option and my only recourse was a full ‘switch’ - which would leave me dependent on supplements for the rest of my days. That didn’t seem a smart match for a long distance cruiser.
So I’m doing it the old fashioned way. :-)
N1EYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 12:12   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Plus-size skipper needs advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepCut View Post
I am PM you as I know obesity is a sensitive subject, but you brought it up. As background, I am a bariatric surgeon.
Getting around on a sail boat is challenging at times and especially with over 300 pounds. Injury to you would be difficult for your wife to manage the boat and you.

You did not mention if you have any medical issues, but certain medical issues respond dramatically to bariatric surgery and the loss of 80-120 pounds. Such as Diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, breathing issues , joint pain.... and of course, nearly all patients report having more mobility and more energy.

Weight loss surgery is way different than years ago, Risks of complications are excellent, and actually less than elective gallbladder surgery. Obviously, you want to select qualified/ experienced surgeon. Bypass or Sleeve based on individual issues.(FORGET Lap Band for many reasons.)

If you have not considered it, look into it. I would be happy to answer any questions and help you find a qualified program near you.

TurtonW@icloud.com

Wes Turton, MD
s/v Sea Tiger
I see a problem with everything
I am 5'10" and I weigh 233 # I also have just 16% bf
( by float test)
there are a lot of factors besides just height and weight.
Old 27-11-2017, 07:49   #64

Re: Plus-size skipper needs advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1EYO View Post
Doing that.
Down 52#!!!

Good for you
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote