Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2011, 23:21   #31

Boat: Bollard Steel 40ft - Lady Kara
We used to let off our expired flares over lake munmorah and chase the parachute flares in dinghies to catch them before they sank. We notified all emergency services first and it was cracker night back when you could get crackers.
Coachbolt.
Old 23-03-2011, 23:47   #32

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Non-pistol flare launcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsy View Post
I was wondering when and where it may be legal to "test" old flares - I have mabe ten 3-packs of expired, oldest maybe from the late 80s. Been interested in checking to see what might be expected of older flares. It would be easy out west over the desert, but in the East, I was thinking after several days of heavy rain, in an open field, well inland... Any ideas (without waiting for 4 July)?
USCG has gotten pretty upset with people firing flares on the 4th around here anyway.

Our club has organized shooting flares twice. I wasn't involved in the planning, but coast guard was called, they sent out a LNM and sent someone to teach and supervise.

Very impressed (insert sarcasm here) with how little time aloft and how dim a U.S. certed meteor flare went.

Equally impressed with how bright, high and long a SOLAS parachute flare went.

John
Old 24-03-2011, 05:28   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
Surely the question was "What countries don't allow pistol flare guns??"
And just as surely, my friend:

1) You reply to my statement: "The problem is not with the flare guns. The problem is with the people who ban them..." Countries consist of land, infrastructure and people. It is not the land that bans flare guns, and I guess its unlikely that any majority of people of any country would be such trembling, busy-body, bed-wetting cowards that they would ban flare guns if it were put to a vote. Thus, it comes down to tyrant politicians (people) treading on the Liberty of the majority (for their "own good", no doubt), by coercively banning flare guns. (What is Liberty, but the absence of coercion?)

2) As to your assertion that the question is "What countries don't allow pistol flare guns??", if you would simply refer to post #1 (that's at the beginning of the thread...) you might then be able to inform yourself that the original question is really concerning alternate methods of launching flares, such as bungies and so on.

3) This thread contains mention or discussion of arrows, water balloon launchers, confiscation of flare guns, damage from hot slag, kites, converting fireworks into explosives, shotgun shells, video of flaregun head shots, whether or not flares need to be launched into the air, customs officers, your fav: What are the rules in several countries, expired flares on ebay, shooting old flares on the 4th of July, what can be expected of expired flares, streamers, and so on.

Why did you single out my statement as the subject of your flawed observation?
Old 24-03-2011, 09:31   #34

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

Whimsey,

See Gord Mays link from another thread concerning what various countries permit:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ntry-1641.html

Flare guns are viewed similar to guns by some countries. That's just the way things stand. However there are viable alternatives such as parachute flares which serve the same function.

The comments regarding arrows etc. weren't intended to be taken seriously.

As to lighting off flares for fun, I'd imagine in most places you'd probably want to organize that through a yacht club under the pretext of "training" as you might find yourself in the midst of a genuine SAR effort if the powers that be weren't previously informed.......
Old 24-03-2011, 09:35   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I think this one has outlived its usefulness.