Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2018, 11:57   #1

Mantus Anchor

Hi all,

So far I am loving my Mantus Anchor, been in 45+ wind gusts and constant 35 knot winds and have felt really safe. My question is what are the maximum winds I can expect it to hold in? My wife and I are in Greece and will be sailing and anchoring most of winter. Last week we got 45+ gusts and some felt 50 and although we don't expect much windier than this we would love to know other sailors' experiences. We have a Hanse 445 and when purchasing were told to buy 65lb/29.5kg. We are always letting out at least 5:1 ratio, thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jason

chook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 12:07   #2
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Mantus Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chook View Post
Hi all,

So far I am loving my Mantus Anchor, been in 45+ wind gusts and constant 35 knot winds and have felt really safe. My question is what are the maximum winds I can expect it to hold in?
Impossible to know because there are soooooo many variables. People make it through hurricanes on anchors that are well set. But they were also probably is a good bottom with the anchor well dug in, out of the fetch, had stripped the boat down, had 10:1 scope out, and got really really lucky.

I'm sure your anchor will be fine in normal gales/storms as long as you pick a good spot and take other needed actions as to scope and windage.
Old 17-12-2018, 12:58   #3

'How well will a nail hold in _____ ?'

It's not up to the nail. The nail doesn't hold the material, the material holds the nail. If it's 'Pudding', the answer is "not well and not for long".

The same applies to an anchor. Bottom Type is everything. Its diversity makes for a long sliding variable scale.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 13:47   #4

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

I always thought the folks at Mantus are very conservative with their anchor sizing recommendations. If you followed their recommendations you are well on your way to having a good night’s sleep at anchor. The rest is the bottom, all chain rode, proper scope, and technique. And how closely all the charter boats decided to anchor.

It’s a great anchor and should suit you well. Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 03:18   #5

Boat: Beneteau first 26

So you are in Greece , you have strong winds coming from a cliff or channeling , you have no waves the bottom is good performance sand like.most anchorages in Greece and probably not even deep , you choose to leave your Bimini and spray hood on and do nothing to reduce windvane .
I don't see why you should call the anchor.perfomance good , almost every correct sized anchor would do the job , even fisherman's anchor on this conditions with their 4 hooks fisherman anchor with no issues .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:14   #6

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

So I was curious and went to the Mantus site to see what their 65 pound anchor would hold, and you're a better person than I if you can read their blurred chart. When companies do something stupid like posting a blurred chart and not correcting it, I tend to not trust the company. A clear chart in such an important matter is necessary, if they haven't corrected it, what short cuts have they done on their anchor?
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:34   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

rsn48 - maybe something wrong with your monitor. You are right that the "thumbnail" is blurry, but when I clicked on it, it was as clear as a Bahama anchorage. Their chart would indicate a 50 knot application for your boat and anchor size. I wouldn't bother to go bigger since you already have, but one size larger is what they recommend for winds greater than 50 knots for your boat. Anchor recommended sizes are all over the place. Lewmar recommends 44 pounds for a Delta for your boat. They are an older generation design and have a reputation of dragging far more than the newer design. As posted above, bottom composition is huge in holding. I'd say anchor design, weight and rode also play big in the equation. I have an 80 pound Ultra, another modern design, with 300 feet of 7/16 inch chain on my Beneteau Sense 50. It holds so well that in windy anchorages boats anchor close to us assuming we must be in a wind shadow as the heavy anchor chain generally hangs straight down.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Mantus