Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2019, 11:01   #16
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Maddening night time noise

I thought one boat I had was in the process of breaking up through delamination.. had a constant crackling every night.. not noticeable in day time.
Ended when we sailed North to cooler waters.. seems it was small creatures feeding on the algae build up on the hull in the marina..

Born To Be Wild.. Click on the picture.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:41   #17

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Maddening night time noise

Solar was mentioned. Could it be the controller hunting when there is no input from the panels???

roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:03   #18

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

First time I heard the crackling, I tore into multiple lockers and under the bed storage. I would have sworn that it was coming from inside the cabin. Then I realized it's just little creatures living their lives (on the outside of the hull).

As far as the use of earplugs, I'm not sure I would recommend that.

To the OP, I'm guessing biological. Move the boat and see if the noises stop or change.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:04   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Try this. Time it. If is PRECISELY on some routine it’s most likely electrical.

If it is and you are desperate, disconnect the battery to see if that silences it.

But before anything else, ask your neighbors.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 16:27   #20

Chesapeake Bay - then it's probably sea robins (a type of bottom fish). Google 'fish noises' and find a Youtube video to check out what's closest to what you heard.
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 18:23   #21

Boat: Lagoon 39

Thanks for all the replies. The haul was cleaned a few days ago. I donít have a anchor light. The noise starts shortly after dusk with a single crip or ping ( sort of like a hum as a motor starting) about every 30 seconds After an hour or so it pings twice in succession about every two minutes. This double ping will last till dawn. My bilge pumps have electronic floats and only start when they sense water. Jason Flare seems to be on to something. The noise is consistent every night.
jvoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 18:45   #22

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

On a mooring in Boston Harbor when everything quieted down in the evening I heard a rattling sound every few minutes. Finally stopped about 1 am. Started up again at 5:30. Sounded odd, almost like a boat in gear but irregular. It would last a few seconds getting louder than softer.

It was the subway train in a tunnel under the Harbor.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 07:46   #23

When we moor in one area of the Northeast (MA and RI) during the summer, we couldn't believe how loud the fish were. They kept us up most of the night. If it is sea creatures, you might want to think about white noise to get some sleep. A simple fan should do the trick.
TedsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 12:08   #24
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

I am always thankful that we moved to the city about a year before we bought our catamaran.

The first few months in the city were very difficult to adjust to noise-wise; there were motorcycles drag racing down the large street below us at 3 am when all the lights would synch up green, there were the whistles of the police officers directing traffic at rush hour every morning and afternoon, sirens, the generator of the newly built and poorly-wired hotel across the street kicking in at random times-soooo much noise!!!

We now have gotten used to it, but we also now own Bose noise cancelling headphones, have a white noise app on our phones, and occasionally use wax earplugs.

Being on the catamaran this past weekend at its new slip we had a new sound-a blurp blurp blurp of water slapping against the hull because we have more current and water motion here than we did in an estuary down in Florida. We also have a "chin-GINK chin-GINK" of an expansion joint from the highway about 40 feet over our head.

If my brain hadn't already spent a few months freaking out and then becoming acclimated to the constant din of city life, I think I'd be having a much harder time sleeping through stuff.

Oh, and add the sound of my husband's new CPAP machine-that actually is kind of a nice white noise that I don't mind, but it an additional layer of sound.

It will be interesting to us to anchor out some day where it's silent and dark-it might be weird!

I have no advice as to what the OP's sound might be without hearing it myself-it might be worth getting a high quality sound video and putting it up on Youtube?
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 13:18   #25

Boat: Steel Swain 36 Cutter

My friend was on his boat and noticed a slight buzz in the rigging every few seconds. It got slowly worse as a navy ship approached. He then realized it was the scan from it's radar hitting his boat. Everytime the radar was pointing at him, he got the noise.
opusnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 13:29   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

RSH,

Long story short, I eventually got very worn down, depressed by living in a center city location, although it was a very nice and sldesirable neighborhood. There was no way for me to escape the insescent noise. It rattled me. We went part time and lived on the boat on alternating weeks. I dreaded going back to the city.
Old 18-02-2019, 14:55   #27
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
RSH,

Long story short, I eventually got very worn down, depressed by living in a center city location, although it was a very nice and sldesirable neighborhood. There was no way for me to escape the insescent noise. It rattled me. We went part time and lived on the boat on alternating weeks. I dreaded going back to the city.
Noise cancelling headphones and earbuds are a godsend.

We did eventually acclimate to the noise and light pollution of the city, and we do like it (never have to get in our cars except to drive to the boat, lol), but it was a challenge, that's for sure. I sometimes wonder if I'm going deaf because I just don't hear the noise of the city anymore, but I think it's actually my brain going "nope, that noise isn't important" and it just screens it out automatically.

I would think if you went part time, your brain might not acclimate. It was one of the reasons we picked a marina in the city, because we were a little freaked out by how *quiet* one of the out of the way marinas was. Plus, if we wanted anything, we were getting in the car.
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 15:08   #28
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42

Iím with the vote for moving the boat to some other location for a night. Simple test, and whatís not to love about a change of scenery?

I had resolved on a voyage around the world, and as the wind on the morning of April 24, 1895 was fair, at noon I weighed anchor....
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 15:58   #29

Boat: Beneteau 49 & Amel 50 on order

It might be your topping lift line acting as a guitar string. It vibrates with the right amount of wind and mainsheet tension.

It is easy to check. When you hear the sound, put your hand on the topping lift line and see if it vibrates. If it vibrates, the sound transmits through the mast to the whole boat. I had this problem on my ex-L450.

The solution for the above is to either loosen the mainsheet, but the boom will be loose and move from side to side (another source of noise). Or, to wrap another line around the topping lift line. This will disturb the air around the topping lift and it will not vibrate.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 16:19   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH View Post
Noise cancelling headphones and earbuds are a godsend.

We did eventually acclimate to the noise and light pollution of the city, and we do like it (never have to get in our cars except to drive to the boat, lol), but it was a challenge, that's for sure. I sometimes wonder if I'm going deaf because I just don't hear the noise of the city anymore, but I think it's actually my brain going "nope, that noise isn't important" and it just screens it out automatically.

I would think if you went part time, your brain might not acclimate. It was one of the reasons we picked a marina in the city, because we were a little freaked out by how *quiet* one of the out of the way marinas was. Plus, if we wanted anything, we were getting in the car.
Screw that, I retired and moved on the boat.

Tags
noise