Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-12-2012, 17:59   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Re: Liveaboard 14' Canoe In Boston

Sabrekai

You were lucky. I sincerely hope your luck continues... ours ran out.

Old 16-12-2012, 00:20   #32

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
I am 56, born in 56. In that era, one could trust most everyone, because people that were proven to be problems to society were locked away in mental institutions. Jails were not over packed, because teachers were allowed to teach. Today they have a hands off curriculum where no child is left behind, the kids learn nothing except the lyrics taught in rap music. Thus the over crowded jails, that set people loose with more problems coming out, than when they went in.

The mental institutions? All gone by in large. Those folks are now fending for themselves on the streets.

Religon is now outlawed in schools, but being goth is just fine. Look at all the school shootings, including this latest one. They were not right wingers, Tammy Rae Baker cult followers, or down the street church people, they were all following the goth culture. The old saying, G don't kill people, people kill people is only somewhat correct. G don't kill people, goth kill people.

To trust a homeless person to the point where you have them inside your protection walls of your home is heartwarming, but very foolish. People die trusting odd aberrant people. As a society, we should once again clean up our streets to institutionalize people. Let the medical experts, government once again protect and serve the common good.

Is the canoe man sane? Maybe, but does living in an open canoe in a winter region sound sane?

Also if you voluntarily offer to let a homeless person stay at your residence, you loose all rights to ask them to leave, in many states. They now have as much right to live there as you do. Eviction at that point could take years, and cost tens of thousands of dollars.

Old 16-12-2012, 00:59   #33

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
I am 56, born in 56. In that era, one could trust most everyone, because people that were proven to be problems to society were locked away in mental institutions. Jails were not over packed, because teachers were allowed to teach. Today they have a hands off curriculum where no child is left behind, the kids learn nothing except the lyrics taught in rap music. Thus the over crowded jails, that set people loose with more problems coming out, than when they went in.

The mental institutions? All gone by in large. Those folks are now fending for themselves on the streets.

Religon is now outlawed in schools, but being goth is just fine. Look at all the school shootings, including this latest one. They were not right wingers, Tammy Rae Baker cult followers, or down the street church people, they were all following the goth culture. The old saying, G don't kill people, people kill people is only somewhat correct. G don't kill people, goth kill people.

To trust a homeless person to the point where you have them inside your protection walls of your home is heartwarming, but very foolish. People die trusting odd aberrant people. As a society, we should once again clean up our streets to institutionalize people. Let the medical experts, government once again protect and serve the common good.

Is the canoe man sane? Maybe, but does living in an open canoe in a winter region sound sane?

Also if you voluntarily offer to let a homeless person stay at your residence, you loose all rights to ask them to leave, in many states. They now have as much right to live there as you do. Eviction at that point could take years, and cost tens of thousands of dollars.
Lol what? Canoe man and this post are both a bit odd. I like most of what you have to say normally, but the 50s were both an anomaly in terms of standard of living and income, and also romanticized looking back. Much bad was to be found then.
No idea what goths have to do with any of this. Other than some pollution from washing off all the makeup?

The idea of the government doing that is laughable, and terrifying at the same time. To many your choice of boat, and toilet are a bit odd too. Mine is odd, I am probably odd to many but I am ok with that. Live and let live. If he likes his canoe, isn't hurting anyone or being a nuisance then more power to him.
Old 16-12-2012, 01:13   #34

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16

Quote:

I think you are being a bit naive about mental heath facilities and institutionalization in the '50s. There were good reasons for closing most of them.

Deinstitutionalisation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And please, let's keep religion out of this or the thread will be closed before you know it.
Old 16-12-2012, 04:05   #35

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch
Thumbs up Re: Liveaboard 14' Canoe In Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
Not every homeless person is a bum or criminal. I don't know the background of this guy, but some people don't want to be owned by a bank, forced to go to work, and tied down with a bunch of stuff.
Yes, I will second that!
Old 16-12-2012, 04:10   #36

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch
Thumbs up Re: Liveaboard 14' Canoe In Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
OK. Tit for tat. I had a homeless girl living in my apartment for 10 months, after I found her huddled under a bush in the local park. I noticed a small wisp of steam coming from the bush as I walked by. She was wrapped in a coat and blanket, slowly slipping into hypothermia. I'd seen her round all summer, typical bag lady, so I took her home, parked her in the shower, laundered her clothes and gave her my couch to sleep. I paid her a few bucks a week to clean my apartment as I was OOS with tendonitis and she showed up every day and cleaned the place. She would wait til i was asleep, come in, shower, hit the couch and be gone again by daybreak, doing odd jobs around my little town. I found out over time she'd been raped and left for dead somewhere out west, and was pretty messed up, but for some reason she trusted me.

Sure I'm a trusting fool, but in 10 months I never got ripped off. I even left money out accidentally a few times and it was never moved. I only wish I knew what happened to her in the end. She left heading for home on the east coast. I hope she made it and found some peace.

I've hired some bums to work for me, they did good work for me. Others refused, and then tried to sell me their filthy parkas for $10 for a bottle.

There are good ones and bad ones. Just like in everything else. Besides, where do you get the idea that this one is standing with his hand out?
God bless you!
Old 18-12-2012, 06:44   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post

I think you are being a bit naive about mental heath facilities and institutionalization in the '50s. There were good reasons for closing most of them.

Deinstitutionalisation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And please, let's keep religion out of this or the thread will be closed before you know it.
Naive, ? Heavens no, I have seen the movie Harvey 50 times. Lol

I have a little Pooka named Sugar Bee.: )

I own storefront businesses two blocks from a metropolitan homeless shelter. I have seen it all. Twenty years operating stores around what we call homeless, you learn what the gig is. Mooch mooch and turn around and mooch again. Drugs, hiding from child support responsibilities, alcohol, and overall lazy. Some of us support the system we have, and some people mooch from the system.

The canoe guy, anyone think he has a 9 to 5 and just likes looking at the stars and being by water?

Our city got sued by a homeless person, and lost. Big amount. Millions. So now, they are afraid to touch them. They sleep on the street, anywhere they want to. They sleep on the sidewalk, in front of your business, your bank, your daycare, anywhere they want to. Foolishness. Run the bums out of town.

The city has a clean up crew to go around the business area downtown to clean up the nightly crap and urine, wine bottles, trash. Cheeper to clean up after them than to be sued again. Mean while, the business people have to deal with the problem. Many shoppers stay away from downtown and go to malls where they feel safer, or at least not have to walk over some bum sleeping all day on the sidewalk in a sleeping bag.

Don't take the canoe away from this guy, he will move to Lincoln, and get everything free for the rest of his life.

A pastor here tried an experiment where he panhandled for a day. He took in $844. One beggar was arrested, and found to have a slum appartment, so he had somewhere to keep his cash. He had $30,000 in cash from begging. He lived on the street, only used the appartment to deposit the extra cash, because he was afraid of banks.
Old 18-12-2012, 07:18   #38

I started this thread, and I am done with it. I come here to go sailing in my mind. Back to sailing. I hope the canoe guy is ok all winter and finds happiness. He is on the water, so in that way, he has me beat.
Old 19-12-2012, 04:35   #39

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16

Quote:
Our city got sued by a homeless person, and lost. Big amount. Millions. So now, they are afraid to touch them. They sleep on the street, anywhere they want to. They sleep on the sidewalk, in front of your business, your bank, your daycare, anywhere they want to. Foolishness. Run the bums out of town.

The city has a clean up crew to go around the business area downtown to clean up the nightly crap and urine, wine bottles, trash. Cheeper to clean up after them than to be sued again. Mean while, the business people have to deal with the problem. Many shoppers stay away from downtown and go to malls where they feel safer, or at least not have to walk over some bum sleeping all day on the sidewalk in a sleeping bag....
The city government sounds pretty spineless to let one lawsuit intimidate them like that. Sure hope the murders and rapist don't start suing.

Sorry for your business, that's not fair to you. They need to look at what other cities have done that's more effective and still humane.
Old 19-12-2012, 06:06   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Originally Posted by Danosimp3

Perhaps he figured out something others have not. That simplicty leads to happiness, and the more possessions one has the more complicated life is and further from happiness and peace.

I dont pitty him in the least. He is free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Absolutely agree! Just wish I could follow his example!

That's just great. Why do so many feel the need to elevate the status of these bums and leeches, and then vilify those of us who are victimized by society's vermin and then forced by government to financially support their lifestyle. Free... I don't think so.
Old 19-12-2012, 07:49   #41

Boat: Jim Michalak designed 25' Caprice and Self Design 32' Shantymaran
While I feel similar about "bums", I'm confused why this guy has been labeled such. I think I've read all the links, but may have missed it. If indeed he's taking public assistance but could get a job (I'm thinking he's physically fit enough!) Then yes, problem! But without proof I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
Old 19-12-2012, 12:28   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No visible means of self support, looks like a bum, probably smells like a bum, lives like a bum... Seems to fit the basic definition of a bum.

Point of information: The Boston Globe is well-known for just making up bleeding heart stories like this one on slow news days. Canoe man probably doesn't really exist except in the mind of a Globe reporter. Nobody seems to know where he is, or has ever seen him in the Greater Boston area even though the area sited in the story is passed by tens of thousands of people daily.

Living with a substance (drug) abuse treatment center directly across the street, a mental health outpatient treatment center just down the street and five methadone clinics within 400 yards of our house and business.... I guess I'm sort of a bum expert.
Old 19-12-2012, 14:27   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Woah, hold on just a minute tiger. Before you go throwing everyone that is out on the street out of the country, let me make two small points.

Point one- a guy living under a picnic table with a wife and two small children. I meet him after he became a SWAT captain and later an Idaho Sheriff. They just had no money while attending the police academy, and were new in town. He was my best friend in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Point two- while teaching survival we would end up at a little convience store outside Cochitti Lake, out in the New Mexico desert. The clerk would call the police on us! We would be buying drinks and food and trying to re hydrate, but we stunk so the local Sheriff would ask us to "move along now" ie get out of their community. The next town was 10 miles across the open desert!

When I told him I was a physician and that these students would shortly be picked up by a crew of BMW's and Mercedes, he laughed out loud. He stayed watching us until, 20 minutes later, we were picked up by the parents of my students...

Now I know what you're saying, but I would not label this guy a bum till he showed me a sign and asked for money. There are many people out in the world that are not what they look like.
Old 19-12-2012, 15:37   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Isn't the US about to fall into a ravine, or slide down a slope, or--OH!!-fall off a cliff,--yeah!!, thats it,--because your CIC wants to raise taxes to take care of these poor folk??

(Avoiding politics) I'm buying a new dinghy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: