Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2014, 11:46   #76
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Ventless units are now the norm for houses here as they are all-in-one. They condense the saturated air rather then vent it.

But they consume fantastic amounts of water , my last Candy unit used 80 litres of water on a typical drying session. Good water sent overboard

Mind you it would be easy enough to re plumb to send that water back to the tank. ( I see a project)

Vented dryers tend to be standalone units.

Dave
__________________

__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 11:52   #77
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,360
Re: Laundry While Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I have to agree but I will also say the face of cruising has changed to that of all the modern conveniences of life on land. It tends to be a little more like keeping up with the Jones's than a life of adventure.
I don't for the life of me see how liking a washing machine is keeping up with the Jones. There have always been people boating in many different ways. It doesn't mean one way is better than the other. Your idea of adventure may be someone else's idea of torture. We do choose to enjoy the sea but with as many of the convenience's of home as we can have. None of it is keeping up with anyone. It's all for our personal pleasure. I know of boat owners who spend every night in a hotel too, never on board. Not my choice, but I don't criticize him for that. He loves cruising, doesn't like sleeping on a boat. That's fine with me. Some like sail, some like power. We freely admit to being way too lazy to be sailors. We do like occasionally sailing when someone else is doing all the work. There is plenty or room for all types of boaters. We've personally changed our perspective and desires over the years. I had no idea some of the conveniences even existed ten years ago, but doesn't mean I don't like them.
__________________

__________________
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 14:55   #78
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Laundry While Cruising

I am the OP and my intension was to hear from everyone their opinions on laundry onboard and in post #56, I outline how I do laundry onboard. I never said one way is better than another. I do however feel for myself that cramming a bunch of amp guzzling machines onboard is over the top. But like you say...to each their own. Please feel free to run right out and purchase the latest and greatest.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 15:08   #79
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 201
Re: Laundry While Cruising

A washing machine is "the latest and greatest"?

I mean, I don't have one in my boat, and most likely never will because of space issues, but really, if your water and power consumption doesn't outdo what you can make, I can't see the problem of that. I would have one in a heartbeat on my boat if I could. I suffer from MCS, so doing laundry with laundry powder or even a machine that has had laundry powder in it, will make the clothes unwearable to me, so when I go out, it's handwash or ammonia in a drybag.

How many people have microwaves in their boats? A great deal of the American boats I bet. How many boats have forced air heaters? Quite a bit too worldwide. Air con? Quite a lot there too.

Sorry, I just can't get over the thought that a washing machine is "the latest and greatest".
__________________
Caracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 15:12   #80
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,036
Re: Laundry While Cruising

I know it's been mentioned before, but here's our washing machine:



Works great on the boat AND on land (we don't have a machine at the land-based home either). Cheap, fast, reliable, and really not that much effort.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 15:12   #81
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,062
Re: Laundry While Cruising

A washing machine is on my must have list, right along with a watermaker. I don't see the need in not showering or wearing clean clothes. I got enough of cleaning my own clothes in a waterproof bag during deployments
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 15:21   #82
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Laundry While Cruising

i liked the idea of throwing it in a bag and dragging it behind the boat...at least for the rise end of it but still...there is a fresh water rinse. I have been fine to this point as I am only coastal cruising the west coast and fresh water is readily available. So I have purchased a used watermaker to help out a bit.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 17:15   #83
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,360
Re: Laundry While Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
A washing machine is on my must have list, right along with a watermaker. I don't see the need in not showering or wearing clean clothes. I got enough of cleaning my own clothes in a waterproof bag during deployments
Among many books and blogs we have read, one of the early ones talked about not bathing as often and about wearing clothes more times between washing. While we respected their choice, that's just not a choice we could make. To those who are comfortable with it, more power to them. But we insist on bathing daily and wearing clean clothes.
__________________
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 17:21   #84
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Laundry While Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
. But we insist on bathing daily and wearing clean clothes.
Are the tribulations of the first world..,...

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 17:44   #85
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 201
Re: Laundry While Cruising

What's wrong with the first world? I bet you made your money in it, and you having a nice boat solely for your own enjoyment is arguable also a first world "tribulation".

Why should people choose to live and look like bums if they don't want to, less they be accused of being "typical first-worlders" or words to that effect by you? As I recall, I don't see you abandoning your boat for a dug-out canoe and a spear to catch fish or go trapping in the woods to live out some notion of a glorious past where we all lived hand-to-mouth.

I would find it funny if it wasn't so pathetic to see someone draw an arbitrary line at a specific thing that makes life easier and mor comfortable, and then try to take the high ground, declaring others to be first worlders as if that is a bad thing, and that you are better somehow, because you don't want that particular thing.

Give us a call when you don't have internet access and a proper boat anymore, and begin living from hand-to-mouth. Then, maybe, you can toss aside others preferences and means as sarcastically "first world tribulations".
__________________
Caracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 18:23   #86
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,036
Re: Laundry While Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
Why should people choose to live and look like bums if they don't want to, less they be accused of being "typical first-worlders" or words to that effect by you? As I recall, I don't see you abandoning your boat for a dug-out canoe and a spear to catch fish or go trapping in the woods to live out some notion of a glorious past where we all lived hand-to-mouth.

I would find it funny if it wasn't so pathetic to see someone draw an arbitrary line at a specific thing that makes life easier and mor comfortable, and then try to take the high ground, declaring others to be first worlders as if that is a bad thing, and that you are better somehow, because you don't want that particular thing.
I'm sure Dave can speak for himself on this, but my understanding of his comments are to point out that there is a difference between wants and needs. Less than a generation ago people in the so-called "first world" did not bathe or shower every day. They did not change their clothes every day. Were your parents and grandparents using a "dug-out canoe and a spear to catch fish or go trapping in the woods"? Did they "look like bums"? Come on...

You don't have to descend to reductio ad absurdum argument style to justify your own choices. Be proud. Stand tall. Smell good. But recognize your choices aren't the only choices, and are probably not the best ones when looked at from a global perspective.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 18:37   #87
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 201
Re: Laundry While Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'm sure Dave can speak for himself on this, but my understanding of his comments are to point out that there is a difference between wants and needs.
Yes, and I find it highly hypocritical to try to make that argument at something as arbitrarily as a washing machine, whereas owning a pleasure by the very nature of it is not something you need.

I thought I was very clearly pointing out what I thought about this arbitrary line, while he is himself an owner of something that is solely for pleasure, not to mention that more people can afford a washing machine than they can a pleasure boat.

Quote:
Less than a generation ago people in the so-called "first world" did not bathe or shower every day. They did not change their clothes every day. Were your parents and grandparents using a "dug-out canoe and a spear to catch fish or go trapping in the woods"? Did they "look like bums"? Come on...
Nope, but if you have to dismiss something as first-world problems, you might want to look at yourself before attempting something like this.

Quote:
You don't have to descend to reductio ad absurdum argument style to justify your own choices.
It is not to "justify" any choice of mine. A reductio ad absurdum argument is used to show how an argument is flawed, since, if true, it would have the absurd consequences. I don't care how much people wash, if they have a washing machine or not. I don't care if they grow their own produce or anything of the kind. I do care about intellectual honesty and integrity.

Quote:
Be proud. Stand tall. Smell good. But recognize your choices aren't the only choices, and are probably not the best ones when looked at from a global perspective.
Yes, but before trying to assert himself as better than others because he choose to do without something other people want or have, perhaps that advice of yours is better directed at him, since he is setting an arbitrary limit, while completely ignoring he is himself an owner of something much fewer people - even in the western world - is able to afford. Yet, a comparably small extra purchase to bring is suddenly too much "first-world", implying that he is somehow much more in touch with his inner third-world child.
__________________
Caracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 18:52   #88
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,360
Re: Laundry While Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'm sure Dave can speak for himself on this, but my understanding of his comments are to point out that there is a difference between wants and needs. Less than a generation ago people in the so-called "first world" did not bathe or shower every day. They did not change their clothes every day. Were your parents and grandparents using a "dug-out canoe and a spear to catch fish or go trapping in the woods"? Did they "look like bums"? Come on...

.
What? Boats aren't needs period. We're all here on wants. But your line about our parents and grandparents makes no sense. Maybe my great great great great grandparents. But my parents and my grandparents bathed daily and always put on clean clothes. Even my great grandparents and I remember seeing the manual crank washing machine. They did not have canoes or go trapping. My great grandparents did farm some but even more they showered and cleaned up.
__________________
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 18:56   #89
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,360
Re: Laundry While Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
Yes, and I find it highly hypocritical to try to make that argument at something as arbitrarily as a washing machine, whereas owning a pleasure by the very nature of it is not something you need.

I thought I was very clearly pointing out what I thought about this arbitrary line, while he is himself an owner of something that is solely for pleasure, not to mention that more people can afford a washing machine than they can a pleasure boat.


Nope, but if you have to dismiss something as first-world problems, you might want to look at yourself before attempting something like this.



It is not to "justify" any choice of mine. A reductio ad absurdum argument is used to show how an argument is flawed, since, if true, it would have the absurd consequences. I don't care how much people wash, if they have a washing machine or not. I don't care if they grow their own produce or anything of the kind. I do care about intellectual honesty and integrity.


Yes, but before trying to assert himself as better than others because he choose to do without something other people want or have, perhaps that advice of yours is better directed at him, since he is setting an arbitrary limit, while completely ignoring he is himself an owner of something much fewer people - even in the western world - is able to afford. Yet, a comparably small extra purchase to bring is suddenly too much "first-world", implying that he is somehow much more in touch with his inner third-world child.
I agree with you. This reverse elitism is getting to be a bit much. You're not better than someone else because you have money. But you're not better either because you don't have money. You're not better because you prefer to bathe daily and wear clean clothes, but you're also not better because you choose to bathe weekly and wear dirty clothes. And frequency of bathing and laundry in no way is tied just to first world or any other world. Many people do the same in very difficult conditions but find it important.
__________________
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 19:59   #90
CF Adviser
 
Pelagic's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Posts: 6,895
Re: Laundry While Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
i liked the idea of throwing it in a bag and dragging it behind the boat...at least for the rise end of it but still...there is a fresh water rinse. I have been fine to this point as I am only coastal cruising the west coast and fresh water is readily available. So I have purchased a used watermaker to help out a bit.
I am not a fan of dragging dirty laundry behind the boat, as it impregnates the material with marine organisms/tide line oil slicks, carbon from exhaust and takes a lot more fresh water to get that out, than normal fresh water soak in minimal detergent and a rinse.

We have separate 5 gallon sealed buckets for white and colored soaks. They are lashed to the aft deck and the motion underway is enough to agitate them and gently remove the dirt.

We simply add the dirty clothes to the soak bucket and choose the final rub and laundry day when rinse water and hang drying conditions are the best.

I also challenge the mindset that 3rd world families have a lesser standard of cleanliness.
In the traditional remote villages I actually found it to be the opposite as they have an almost religious belief that cleanliness assures good health.

My Filipino girlfriend does not like to use our washing machine except for bedding and towels as she doesn’t think it gets it clean enough.

She insists on the soak/ hand wash method to satisfy her standards and I am relegated to the lesser wring-out responsibility since I also don’t meet her standards of cleaning or hanging out to dry.

Who am I to argue.... !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Laundry day 100_1248.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	74992  
__________________

__________________
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruising, laundry

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II) David_Old_Jersey General Sailing Forum 1355 13-11-2017 17:32
Laundry While Cruising Celestialsailor Challenges 103 31-01-2014 21:25
Top 10 Items to Prepare for Cruising medicrene General Sailing Forum 19 25-03-2012 08:57
For Sale: C-map Max Mediterranean & Black Sea and cruising guides capstanda Classifieds Archive 0 25-03-2012 08:23



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:17.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.