Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2011, 14:07   #1
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
La Noche de los Banditos

i was out at a boat neighbors at the marina i am staying--and e were watching awesome music--yannie voices from acapulco, 2009--wow--is awesome.. we had pizza and were relaxed --i went home otmy boat a couple of slips over-- and changed for bed--just as i lay down, i heard LOUD noisses-- voices and a panga with a frame on it came up behind my boat and my next to me boat hollering for the man on board( not there,btw) to come out.... they went away after a few minuets of this loudness and disruptive behaviour. tha twas 2345.
2400-- i hear SAME engines coming slowly and quietly-- no loud voices , no disruption..... frame directly behind my boat and very very close in.
i noticed my outboard was repositioned-- the head was no longer perpendicular to transom-- was parallel......oops---was also locked.
a friend of mine had been in same marina and same slip-- had many items remived from decks and advised me to keep everything locked and stay home at night....ok..... got that....so i kinda expected a visit by someone...

if htis had been you guys, what would have ye done????

i shined a light in their faces and wielded my louisville slugger gaff in a defensive and baseball-like manner..... they ran fast away...then i dressed in my darkest warmies and hid well on my sofalike covering with dark blankets and WATCHED and listened.... saw wherefrom these folks came and whereto they went.....for 2 hours.. couldnt sleep anyway--- only thing i wa smissing was my camera--didnt have time ot think about it---i was able to help my friend's police report and case against the bad guys with my info---seems this panga has been very very busy in ways the owners, SEMPRA energy folks--- didnt have a clue about.......

so--lets hear from you guys----- what would you have done in my shoes???!!! (besides remember the dang camera)
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-04-2011, 14:15   #2
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: LA NOCHE DE LOS BANDITOS

pretty much what you did, only with Cara on a short leash in front of me. I suspect yer botekat is too smart to get involved ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-04-2011, 14:17   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Hid under the blanket

Either that or what you did - and (same as you? ) hoped they thought I was too much trouble and they b#ggered off into the night.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-04-2011, 14:18   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Zee--please be careful. If any harm should come to you, I think CF would have to send our NATO (Not All Together Organized) squad in. Deck shoes on the ground !!
Old 21-04-2011, 14:18   #5

rofl--bubby decided that, since i had the ballbatgaff, he would sleep some more---this is a long standing problem here----loudness also helps....
i do try to not get killdedded--bubby needs me until he is dedded, by natural causes--he is known here as el lion....LOL

i love the blankie--is warm and dark....
Old 21-04-2011, 15:12   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

A few million candlepower in the eyes from close range can be a remarkably effective deterrent. In addition to the pain, while you can see them, they can't see anything but blue, purple and green spots for several minutes.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-04-2011, 15:18   #7

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

I was wondering if grabbing a camera and taking a bunch of photos, bright flashes going off in their faces, would make them retreat.
It's confronting, and they'd know you could hand the pics to the police.
You'd probably find they'd just ask if they could borrow a cup of sugar or something!
On the other hand, you might just be giving them a reason to come on board and at least grab the camera...
You probably did the best thing. It worked!

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-04-2011, 15:42   #8

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

How about a couple of locally produced bottle rockets shot over their bow and an M80 blasted on the water. All followed up immediately with a long range blast of pepper spray or wasp spray.

Im sure i'll catch hell for this but i'd rather be on the offense than defense.
Old 21-04-2011, 15:55   #9

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

All of the above. Bright lights and camera.
HOLLER at the top of your lungs, take pics and yell. "Fotos para Capitania de Puerto!!"

It worked great when we were anchoed in Zihuatanejo in 1995.

I saw some kids in daddy's panga swiping stuff off a boat. I picked up the VHF, notified the whole bay and then chased them into the river where they parked the boat.
Before they knew what was happening, I snatched the red shutoff cord from their motor.
They begged me to give it back but I said, "NO !! Manana ala Oficina de Capitania de Puerto!!"
When I arrived at the Port Captains office at opening time, they were there with their father, hanging their heads!
Their dad was obviously embarrassed and very pissed off at them.

All the officials in the Port Captain's office gave them hell !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-04-2011, 15:56   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

This has now been designated a hot topic. It didn't need to be but since some members seem unable to discuss a topic like this without going Rambo it is on now.

*I'm in no way suggesting that Steve's reply is a "Rambo" reply. I just happened to be writing at the same time as him.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-04-2011, 16:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
This has now been designated a hot topic. It didn't need to be but since some members seem unable to discuss a topic like this without going Rambo it is on now.
wow--i didnt even say-- NO FIREARMS!!!!! i am impressed--is a hot topic, yes, and pertinent to us on our way-- let's have some cool funn without politix... i like the port capitan idea--i had thought of it--now i have emergency numbers and a fone number to call for aid and cavalry!!!! lol.... helps to have a wellknown native on yer side here , and it helps to have em think you are a way spot off s far as sanity goes-i did omething no one here has done before to these folks--i am also waiting to see what happens next.--

dang it--rambo is fuuuun.....uhoh......
Old 21-04-2011, 16:09   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
wow--i didnt even say-- NO FIREARMS!!!!! i am impressed--is a hot topic, yes, and pertinent to us on our way-- let's have some cool funn without politix... i like the port capitan idea--i had thought of it--now i have emergency numbers and a fone number to call for aid and cavalry!!!! lol.... helps to have a wellknown native on yer side here , and it helps to have em think you are a way spot off s far as sanity goes-i did omething no one here has done before to these folks--i am also waiting to see what happens next.--

dang it--rambo is fuuuun.....uhoh......
I have seen it is entirely possible to discuss this and have fun. Stories such as yours and Steve's are examples of real world, plausible approaches to a problem.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-04-2011, 16:10   #13

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen

I think you did the right thing Zee . I don`t think a camera woudl have been a great thing . If you had been on the dock and seen them with a chance to get away taht woudl have been different . But you don't know who they are if tehya re just petty thives or part of a more organised crowd . So yeah I would not have done anything different . Port captain is a great idea .
Old 21-04-2011, 16:48   #14

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen

Apologies for my violence towards the English language as portrayed by my spelling/typing . I hit send send before proof reading and you cannot edit on a hot topic.
Old 21-04-2011, 17:02   #15

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
my info---seems this panga has been very very busy in ways the owners, SEMPRA energy folks--- didnt have a clue about.......

so--lets hear from you guys----- what would you have done in my shoes???!!! (besides remember the dang camera)
Yup, the camera angle. This has been a hot topic in all ports of Mexico, including San Carlos where my own motor was stolen - off the boat, at night, while I was onboard. Several others have been stolen out of the bay in the past two months. The general consensus has been - if possible - to get a picture of them, if possible - it will scare them and give the Port Captain, the municipal police, the State police and others something to go on.
I filed a theft report in San Carlos and then found that the police in Guaymas 10 miles away wouldn't know about it - that's why you have to go to the state police as well.
Anyway - after you got their mug shot, then turn on spreader lights or spotlights and honk the horn - get others up to follow their retreat.

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote Reply