Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-10-2012, 13:50   #91

Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Is This Normal? Getting Rid of Our Life

Good on you for having made the transition Smartmove. For us I know that getting rid of our landly things is an ongoing happiness and cathartic experience. Motorhome gone, canoe gone, a number of power/bench tools gone; 3 trips of junk dumped at the local tip and many more to go. Some serious pyromania as we dismantled items and burned old cupboards/got rid of collected wood in the garage etc etc. Ebay have made more money in fees out of us in 1 month than in the last 5 years (no exaggeration there)!

We will be going on our boat search with the clothes and possessions we can carry. Our treasured possessions such as old photos and a few other items we expect will fit in 2-3 boxes and these will be stored with a close family member. We don't place much value on the pile of stuff we have collected on land (and believe me it is substantial in quantity with a large 4 bedroom home to sell and a double garage a bicycle couldn't move in. The sports car and the family car will not be missed because we are completely committed to this move to rid ourselves of the shackles of landlubber rat-race living. These are material things that we can buy at a garage sale such as the one we are planning. Hopefully we will never again build up such a pile of imprisoning land-stuff.

We are jealous (in a nice way) of all of you out there that have already transitioned and can't wait to get this show on the road (I mean ocean). The selling of the house will be the big issue, which we hope will go better than we expect because of the down-turned housing market in the UK. Either way we will be "shedding" the land anchors that have tied us down for far too long. It can't happen fast enough!

Old 22-10-2012, 16:56   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

When we moved aboard in 1972 we stored several boxes of books and other items that we felt were to important for us to let go in the rafters above my in-laws garage as well as a 12 piece setting of china that my wife was given from her parents. Twenty five years later we found the forgotten cache and tossed it all except the twelve piece setting of dishes and silverware in a Samsonite suitcase that we passed on to our daugther who was raised aboard with her brother, but lives in a house. Sure, save all this stuff, but don't expect it to remain valuable to you. There's a great freedom in non-ownership!

Old 22-10-2012, 17:59   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44

We're doing the above and it must be the hardest part of going cruising.

I made the decision not to put anything into storage as we're not planning on coming back to Sydney and we're not sure where we'll end up eventually.

Everything is getting split into "piles": stuff for relatives, stuff going to charity, stuff going onto the boat (not more than a carload!).

Questions: Other than photos and personal mementos (I never dreamed I'd have so many!) is there any item that yous feel you should have kept but didn't?

And: We're in Oz so it might be different here but the idea of letting strangers come into our home to look at what might be worthless junk really doesn't appeal. Is it worth the few dollars that I might get to sell a few things or are they better given to charity?
Old 22-10-2012, 19:19   #94

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
............... is there any item that yous feel you should have kept but didn't?...............
Absolutely not!
Old 22-10-2012, 19:26   #95

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
... is there any item that yous feel you should have kept but didn't?
My sanity?
Old 22-10-2012, 19:53   #96

Nothing. There is nothing worth not being able to go to sleep rocking on the waves. I can't imagine a better life than living on a boat. Don't miss a thing.

I was able to pass family photos and heirlooms on to my sons already. They will get them eventually so I just started early.

Photos now can be scanned and put on CD/DVD or thumb drive. That way they are safe and have no breakdown from age, water, etc. Of course, I've only scanned part of our photos so far. Finding time is tough while working.
Old 22-10-2012, 22:42   #97
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnrdafoe View Post
Ok here it goes. A couple of sundowners and you get will get more than you wanted. Spelling is optional!

15 years and 3 boats later I am closing in on my 6th decade. Many friends and loved ones have gone ahead so I am not waiting until the magical 62.

We have gone in debt when normal people would be pleased to be debt free to buy our retirement condo. We are still able to save for retirement and make accelerated payments but it isn't logical to do what we do. We live conservatively in the midwest. We eat out 1-2 times a month. Our vices are our grandkids, dog, boat and beer/wine.

We have been planning the move to living aboard for many years. As the time grows closer my wife, who is seven years younger and I approach this differently. The most important thing is we are both committed to sailing away in the Spring of 2013. "If you wait until you are ready you will never leave". Take that to heart!

Our plan is to retire next year when I am 60+. Money wil be tight at first but getting better as we age.

We are avoiding that downsizing our lives the first year since we plan on waiting a year after we leave to, see if we like living aboard and the housing market to improve. We think it will be easier to downsize when the carrot is in front of us!

We have been summer vacationing on the Great Lakes for so many years only for the season to end in frustration. Our boats spend more time on the hard than in the water and just when you start feeling comfortable the season is over.

The most challenging aspect is not the sea, weather, boat, technology, etc., etc., but "us". This is not an RV where you can pull off and stop. Oh we are not sailing across oceans but there is a level of maturity that is different than on land. Life depends on larger things than on shore. Your life depends on your mate and their's is your responsibility. A bond in a small area. A great responsibility.

We already have much of the sailing stuff figured out. My wife is the helmsmans during docking and anchoring. I handle the lines. She is damn good and it throws the marina into a new level of attention!

As far as leaving our grand children I reassure my wife that the kids make more money than we do so they can send the grandkids to visit us! So far so good.

Get it close...sort it out on the way. Stay open to new inputs and don't live like you are on vacation. This is life in a more real sense than most of us have ever experienced. It is for me my chance to do something out of the ordinary. I am just a regular guy, living a regular life. I'm not a doctor, engineer or professional of any kind.

I have friends who have done what we are doing and those who have found their weaknesses. Both are encouraging of our plans. This forum is a great place for encouragement. This doesn't have to be a trip to the moon but it's not a trip to the corner market. Reach out and learn from others. It's not a competition!

Best wishes and hope to see you wherever your paradise is!
That was probably one of the best written things I've read on here. Thanks for putting all that down, sincerely.
Old 23-10-2012, 07:26   #98

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnrdafoe View Post
...............We already have much of the sailing stuff figured out. My wife is the helmsmans during docking and anchoring. I handle the lines. She is damn good and it throws the marina into a new level of attention!.................
This is a wise plan,- we promote this idea. I'll risk appearing sexist to suggest that the man can do best on the bow, but there's no question that among most couples the male has more upper body strength useful for pushing off pilings and pulling lines. When it comes to arm wrestling my wife doesn't have a prayer, but she matches anyone and surpasses most with a skillful touch on the throtle, gearshift and wheel. We've noticed that the majority of stressful docking that involves a lot of yelling includes a demanding man at the helm and a overwhelmed woman on the bow.
Old 23-10-2012, 07:40   #99

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

my admiral and I spilt the helmsman chores when (un)docking. yes it does seem to wake the entire marina up when our 40 footers comes in i hard weather with woman at the helm.

Great for me, since there is no end to the amount of fellas who storm over to "grab a line" thinking she can't sail. Most of their jaws hit the ground one morning when she zig-zagged backwards out of rafting situation. We were innermost with 3 boats outside. Once she got out of the rafting she backed down the lane zagging to and fro around the other rafts.

I think they are still applauding
Old 23-10-2012, 08:08   #100

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There's still a reactionary group that finds it difficult to accept a woman at the helm. I recall a time docking in a strong current when a dockmaster was holding our bow spring and I had stepped off with a stern line. Nancie and I decided that we didn't care for our position and I tossed my line back aboard with plans for her to bring the boat around for another approach too a different location. Somehow, the man on the dock with the bowline was hard to convince that this was our intention. He was unable to release a 26,000 pound boat in a strong current with only a woman aboard. I had to take the line from his hands to toss it aboard before his grasp gave us problems. This confidence developed in partnership is something that we have taken with us in our cruising lives. Sure, there are physical things we get rid of to have this life, but there are many good things that develop with a life aboard.
Old 24-10-2012, 14:17   #101

We are less than one year from living aboard and thank god for great kids. All keepsakes, picture albums & precious momentos are being kept by our son! As I told him they'll all be yours one day, why not now! All the rest is easy & exciting for our next chapter.
Old 24-10-2012, 14:45   #102

Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by windlassie View Post
We are less than one year from living aboard and thank god for great kids. All keepsakes, picture albums & precious momentos are being kept by our son! As I told him they'll all be yours one day, why not now! All the rest is easy & exciting for our next chapter.
We are also less than a year away from living aboard. Hopefully 6 months away at most! Maybe we will meet on the water somewhere? I know there are a few fellow sailors on this forum I hope to bump into and thank for their info/advice/experience shared here.
Old 24-10-2012, 15:51   #103

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Been ashore part-time for about 5 years now and the amount of crap and overhead accumulated is absolutely amazing. Land, buildings, animals.... Has anyone else notice that keys breed when you are ashore? When living aboard/cruising full time I had about 3 keys total. Now, I have a key ring that must weigh 3 pounds!

Material possessions can certainly become a burden.
Old 27-10-2012, 12:43   #104

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers
Smartmove, so happy to hear you were finally able to make your transition successfully.

I can't wait for the day it is time for us to make ours.

Best of luck to you in your adventures.
Thank you. Keep focused on the dream and it will happen.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 12:44   #105

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart
I know I'm late to the thread here, but just speaking in general: the transition for us has been crazy. So much to do, it's all new, it's either expensive or time consuming or hard, and you're wondering where all the fun is in that.

Hard to explain how it's worth it, but it really is.

Back to work I go.
+1 It was the same for us.

Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: