Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-06-2012, 11:30   #46
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Is This Normal? Getting Rid of Our Life

try a different aspect of the deal--y arent ridding of a life--you are gaining so much more than mere lifestyle--grammaws hutch can go to another sibling--ye wont miss it at all once ye decide to love the sea and the critters therein and the lifestyle of finding new stuff daily.....is a whole new world to be discovered that the land anchors refuse to allow.....photographs can be scanned and placed on discs....let a different sibling hang on the physical treasures and kiss the dirt goodbye--isnt that hard once ye get into it.

remember--you cannot run away from self--self follows wherever ye go.

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:43   #47

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46.9

Hubby and I planned for 20 years to go cruising in the Caribbean. We gradually scaled down our lives until we lived aboard our final years of employment. Once we arrived in the Caribbean we had no idea of what to expect other than we were heading to Venezuela for hurricane season. It has been 6 1/2 years now, and we have no regrets. Actually, our dream is beyond anything we could have ever imagined. We have met so many cruisers who have their own way of dealing with what they want from cruising. Once you take the big step, you will find your place in the scheme of things. Good luck! Ann

Old 03-06-2012, 11:54   #48

Boat: Maxum 37'

I'm downsizing my life right now also. I agree with the above; sometimes it hurts to get rid of stuff that has emotional value. My wife and I are having anguished discussions, sometimes with me wanting to hang on to something she is ready to part with.

The best thing to do, is to give what you can't keep to a close friend or relative, so you can see it again when you get back.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:57   #49

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Because Grama's Hutch that's been in the family for 100 years wont fit on the boat! Neither will 100 years of photographs...
I have a laptop, a three terabyte external drive and a kindle. I have enough disc space for thousands of photographs (scanned) plus my entire movie collection, my music collection, etc. Before I go I will buy another external drive, back everything up, and put the second drive in a safe deposit box along with my will and other important papers.

The hardest thing for me will be letting go of my books, the ones unavailable on Kindle.

When people downsize from a large house to a 950 sq. ft. pied a terre they need to make the same choices. Give grandma's hutch to one of your children, or to a niece, nephew or close friend. That's what will happen to it anyway, unless you are immortal.

Sailing is liberating. Material possessions are confining (except for money, which can also be liberating if used wisely).
Old 03-06-2012, 12:19   #50

Boat: Beneteau 473
I sold my Corvette on Wednesday. Funny, since then everything has gotten easier. Thanks for all your comments and recommendations.

Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:25   #51

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46.9

I did what Capt. Bill suggested. I selected a friend or relative that I felt would really appreciate and value something that had been special to me. Everyone was delighted to accept my gift, and I have never missed any of them or wanted to ask for them back!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:38   #52

Sailing is liberating. Material possessions are confining (except for money, which can also be liberating if used wisely).[/QUOTE]

yes. poverty is liberating. you are about to enter third world living, and not even at its best. enjoy trying to sleep at night knowing a deep ocean is below and only half inch of glass is keeping it from swallowing you up. add into that your new status as extremely vunerable potential victim to whomever powers by. the cream on top of this is the decline in your credit ratings to zilch on reentry if you've been some years in the cruising mode. in the crusing life, ignorance really is bliss.

some practical advice: join ssca, get an amex platinum card(they will airlift you back home from whereever in a medical emergency--your membership pays for this), get a private postal service to collect your mail, get a worldwide phone with internet, start a trip blog/website.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:56   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

robyn--life got a lot easier for me when i sold my last 300zx turbo--was an anniversary--50th --limited edition..lol...welcome to the word of improvements!!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 13:02   #54

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Poverty is never liberating. After achieving enlightenment under his Bodhi tree, Buddha preached moderation in all things, not poverty or asceticism.

I've lived in the third world (SE Asia, Africa) and I have no intention of living a third world lifestyle, cruising or otherwise. As for crime, it exists everywhere. It helps to avoid ostentation.
Old 03-06-2012, 13:04   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
robyn--life got a lot easier for me when i sold my last 300zx turbo--was an anniversary--50th --limited edition..lol...welcome to the word of improvements!!!!
Nice!!!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 03-06-2012, 13:07   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

living on a sailing boat and cruising isnt about poverty,nor is liberating one's self from the anchors of land and excessive amounts of STUFF.
it IS about determining which items are truly necessary to live and be free. sometimes that takes a few months of actually traveling to determine that which is necessary and that which is not. is why the gods made friendly siblings .....
Old 03-06-2012, 13:12   #57

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Robyn, take the good advice that fits you and don't even waste time with any suggestions that are off-target or unhelpful. Some people may mean well in their comments but are too caught up in their own situations to be of much help to you. It's your and your husband's life and adventure and it's wonderful that you have the gumption to go now and enjoy the world.
Old 03-06-2012, 13:15   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v
some practical advice: join ssca, get an amex platinum card(they will airlift you back home from whereever in a medical emergency--your membership pays for this), get a private postal service to collect your mail, get a worldwide phone with internet, start a trip blog/website.
1. Join SSCA - check
2. AMEX platinum card - will check into that
3. Private postal service - check
4. World wide phone - check
5. Trip blog - check - http://www.sailblogs.com/member/smartmoveadventures - it needs a lot of work, but I plan of having a lot of free time very soon.

Thanks, Robyn
Old 03-06-2012, 13:21   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat
Robyn, take the good advice that fits you and don't even waste time with any suggestions that are off-target or unhelpful. Some people may mean well in their comments but are too caught up in their own situations to be of much help to you. It's your and your husband's life and adventure and it's wonderful that you have the gumption to go now and enjoy the world.
Thank you and I do understand.
Old 03-06-2012, 13:27   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
it IS about determining which items are truly necessary to live and be free. sometimes that takes a few months of actually traveling to determine that which is necessary and that which is not.
I can see that coming. Because we have to ship everything we are taking (us in Utah - boat in BVI), when selecting what to take I have not packed anything yet that I can not use for more than one purpose. But I have a feeling when we get to the boat we will be down sizing again.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: