Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2016, 19:55   #61

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: Interior Teak Wood...too many options!

The original manual from my Tartan says they oil wood with watco oil applied with 320-400 grit wet sanded, then they apply watco wax.
Does anyone use watco wax? Seems like it would leave a nice surface. My interior teak is still in nice shape so I'm inclined to apply a coat of oil followed by a coat of wax after a few days. Debating finding watco wax vs using butchers wax.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 06:32   #62

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Here's a dumb question from a new boat owner. I have a 35 year old (new to me) boat with interior wood that badly needs attention. The first problem is that the wood surfaces, especially the "high touch" areas are dirty. I have cleaned with soap and water, and have lots more to do, but here's my question: whether I ultimately oil or varnish the surfaces, do I need to worry about removing the residue introduced by the cleaning, and if so, how do I do that? Acetone? I have read through the threads, and did not find anything that directly addressed this.

Fyi, years ago (like 35 years) I varnished the interior of my dad's boat, but I definitely did not know what I was doing back then so prior experience is not helpful, and anyway it was a five year old boat without the accumulated grime of decades. Also, does anyone have experience using linseed oil as a finish vs varnish? I saw one post on that option.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:38   #63

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

My source of information is an Antique dealer with exceptional ability on wood finish.

I was warned to use NO oil, including line seed oil. In fact,in one year time final result is nil.

Either water-based floor finish (2 hands, after alcohol cleaning) or liquid wax.

I'll try both, maybe wax in cabins, and glossy floor lawyer in saloon and on floor panels
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 18:07   #64

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Try Smith & Co. Clear Penetrating Epoxy, (CPES) It will seal the wood and if you want is an excellent base coat. It is like water in consistency. Star Distributing * Smith & Co. Epoxy Products Start PageStar Distributing * Why Does CPES Work? One coat will dry and look like a mineral spirit wipe looks before it evaporates off the wood.

The grab rails have one coat of CPES and the partial partition is varnished as is the scroll work and fwd bulkhead. Another advantage of CPES is your first coat of varnish is un-thinned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0067.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	119946   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0066.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	119947  

Old 02-03-2016, 18:58   #65

When it comes to varnish, we use Epifanes inside and out (just slightly different finishes for each), which seems to be very durable.
Crealock37
--
Pacific Seacraft 37 f o r s a l e in Hong Kong.
Information here: pacificseacraft37 . com
Crealock37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior