Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2014, 07:18   #211
cruiser

Re: Hunter 356 Bluewater Capable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Clearly you have never been to St. Helena Island
But, again, are you going to choose a boat based on how it will sit at anchor at St. Helena Island?
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 07:22   #212
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
If is not posible to found a alternative anchorage or pull up the hook and move to other destination or place then sorry i think the skills of the skipper are really poor, if you do well your maths before to start a passage this things are not a problem unless
you want to suffer by purpose.

personally i believe that if you want to get rest and sleep well you need to choose to a good spot, if charts and pilot guides show a open anchorage exposed to currents and wind shifts and swells, well choose another one, i found it really masochist that if you want rest and instead you spend the whole freaking night playing with bridles and etc.. rolling and rolling what you get is exactly the contrary, you dont get rest, so i prefer set sail and sleep in the way, or move to another destination or anchorage, unless is a day night stop this rolly thing is not a problem, i see sometimes cruisers spend months in a rolly anchorage , lol... that hurt!!!

So after all i set plan A, if it fail i have my plan B, and if it fail i have my last resort, plan C....
Cheers.
So.... you and smackdaddy would avoid places like the entire Mediterranean and just keep on going in order to avoid rolly anchorages? Where would you finally stop.... in a secure marina close to home hooked up to shore power and water?

Obviously, spending any significant time at anchor would be out of the question for you guys. The situation that I and others have described is unavoidable, it's very naïve to think otherwise.

Sometimes the wind shifts 90 degrees and you're stuck; the weather forecast is far, far from perfect unless... you're at home looking at your computer. At times, we can only receive a forecast every 3-4 days while cruising. Get out and actually live life on the hook, experience what it's like. We've been doing just that for over 6 years on various boats including a Hunter... and you?

Or, are you one of those "virtual cruisers," someone following the adventures of others via the internet?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 07:26   #213
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Ya silly troublemaker.....

How's Marathon these days? The grapevine says Mrs. smj is working at the WM there.

Ralph

Grapevine is working well!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 07:31   #214

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
So.... you and smackdaddy would avoid places like the entire Mediterranean and just keep on going in order to avoid rolly anchorages? Where would you finally stop.... in a secure marina close to home hooked up to shore power and water?

Obviously, spending any significant time at anchor would be out of the question for you guys. The situation that I and others have described is unavoidable, it's very naïve to think otherwise.

Sometimes the wind shifts 90 degrees and you're stuck; the weather forecast is far, far from perfect unless... you're at home looking at your computer. Get out and actually live life on the hook, experience what it's like. We've been doing just that for over 6 years... and you?

Or, are you one of those "virtual cruisers," someone following the adventures of others via the internet?

I be doing that for more than 6 years, so all the places in the med, bays, harbours , coves, calas are rolly at all?
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 07:34   #215
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The situation that I and others have described is unavoidable, it's very naïve to think otherwise.
If the situation you're currently talking about (like others are) is rolling uncomfortably at anchor sometimes - you're right...it's unavoidable.

However, if the situation you're still talking about (unlike others are) is having your boat come apart and people and stuff flying around the cabin, etc. while at anchor - you're wrong...it's avoidable.
Old 18-12-2014, 07:36   #216
cruiser

Quote:
I be doing that for more than 6 years, so all the places in the med, bays, harbours , coves, calas are rolly at all?
Now, you're being ridiculous too... just like your smackdaddy friend. Playing with words in order to start an argument.

Have a nice day!
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 07:38   #217

What i found ridiculous is to spend nights in a rolly anchorage. sorry sr..
Old 18-12-2014, 07:43   #218

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
But, again, are you going to choose a boat based on how it will sit at anchor at St. Helena Island?
I merely point out that such statements implying you can always find a calm anchorage is ludicrous indicative of the symptom we constantly read here - frivolous uninformed judgmental statements made by folks who are clearly Internet experts who don't have a clue.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 07:58   #219
cruiser

Quote:
I merely point out that such statements implying you can always find a calm anchorage is ludicrous indicative of the symptom we constantly read here - frivolous uninformed judgmental statements made by folks who are clearly Internet experts who don't have a clue.
I would agree with that. Though I'm not sure who is actually saying "you can always find a calm anchorage".

But it's just as safe to say that advising one to buy a cruising sailboat based on the St. Helena Island criteria would be "a frivolous uninformed judgmental statement made by folks who are clearly Internet experts who don't have a clue".
Old 18-12-2014, 08:05   #220

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
OR, Smack actually does have a clue and is deliberately trying to provoke -- maybe because it makes him feel important, or possibly just for entertainment. Hard to believe someone with such little experience or expertise would continue to publicly display such a combo of ignorance & arrogance if the motivation was sincere. Can't help thinking back to Minaret's comment about Smack's posts on SN & SA that he was purposely coming over to CF to try and agitate the "bluewater" boat guys and get himself banned. Pretty pathetic but I guess these types of people are out there. Too bad since so much helpful info from so many others, whether one agrees or not.

From the Urban Dictionary:

Internet Troll
An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 08:06   #221

I feel some tensión here.

Some Humor.

You know you’re in a rolly anchorage when…
  • your tablet auto rotates as you are sitting still on the settee
  • setting a stern anchor in the middle of the night sounds like a good idea
  • you run through the options for dinner in your head and then ask, “Want some crackers and cheese?”
  • you set up your fore/aft bunk so you can sleep athwartships, even though it forces you into the fetal position
  • you make a drinking game out of watching the increased angle heights on the inclinometer
  • you tear a locker apart to figure out what is rattling around
  • you gain new appreciation for the genius of Ensign Pulver and his rolling marble
  • you clamber, disoriented, up on deck thinking it’s your turn to go on watch
  • you seriously consider hauling up the anchor and going elsewhere at 2am
  • the afternoon’s ‘entertainment’ consists of watching all the charter boats break anchor and drift by
  • for once, the land looks more fun
  • you have to sit to shower
  • you have to roll an extra blanket to stay in v-berth
  • the dog thinks he is on a slip and slide
  • you feel seasick
  • you have to stow like you’re going offshore
  • you have to take a dose of sturgeron
  • your eyes look like fried eggs after a sleepless night
  • your husband leaves to go diving and comes back with a hotel reservation
  • you decide to hike 10+ miles in the heat, in the desert, to a HOT springs
  • you loop your arm through a handhold so you can relax a little
  • you stack up all the spare sails in your aft centerline bunk so you can wedge yourself in
  • your unbreakable french press shatters as it slides off the counter and crashes into the sink
  • you start remembering what things around the salon don’t have non-slip under them
  • you keep wondering “are we there yet?”
  • you can’t find your kitchen knife, then see it sticking point down in the floor like a javelin
  • the stainless steel coffee pot does a swan dive off the stove into the stairs and gets a huge dent
  • a full water bottle does a somersault and spills all over your berth in the middle of the night
Old 18-12-2014, 08:13   #222

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I would agree with that. Though I'm not sure who is actually saying "you can always find a calm anchorage".

But it's just as safe to say that advising one to buy a cruising sailboat based on the St. Helena Island criteria would be "a frivolous uninformed judgmental statement made by folks who are clearly Internet experts who don't have a clue".
To review:
Someone said-
"If is not posible to found (sic) a alternative anchorage or pull up the hook and move to other destination or place then sorry i think the skills of the skipper are really poor..."

I use one example as evidence of the fallacy. Don't shoot the messenger please.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 08:17   #223

It work for me and my wife pretty well, we make a promise each other, no more endless painful nights rolly anchorages for us, but each in their own!!
Old 18-12-2014, 08:21   #224
cruiser

Quote:
To review:
Someone said-
"If is not posible to found (sic) a alternative anchorage or pull up the hook and move to other destination or place then sorry i think the skills of the skipper are really poor..."

I use one example as evidence of the fallacy. Don't shoot the messenger please.
I'm not shooting anyone. But I certainly don't see in that quote, sic'd though it might be, where anyone is saying, or even implying, that one "can always find a calm anchorage" as you said.

Which of the above two quotes is actually ludicrous?
Old 18-12-2014, 08:25   #225

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
I feel some tensión here.

Some Humor.

You know you’re in a rolly anchorage when…
  • your tablet auto rotates as you are sitting still on the settee
  • setting a stern anchor in the middle of the night sounds like a good idea
  • you run through the options for dinner in your head and then ask, “Want some crackers and cheese?”
  • you set up your fore/aft bunk so you can sleep athwartships, even though it forces you into the fetal position
  • you make a drinking game out of watching the increased angle heights on the inclinometer
  • you tear a locker apart to figure out what is rattling around
  • you gain new appreciation for the genius of Ensign Pulver and his rolling marble
  • you clamber, disoriented, up on deck thinking it’s your turn to go on watch
  • you seriously consider hauling up the anchor and going elsewhere at 2am
  • the afternoon’s ‘entertainment’ consists of watching all the charter boats break anchor and drift by
  • for once, the land looks more fun
  • you have to sit to shower
  • you have to roll an extra blanket to stay in v-berth
  • the dog thinks he is on a slip and slide
  • you feel seasick
  • you have to stow like you’re going offshore
  • you have to take a dose of sturgeron
  • your eyes look like fried eggs after a sleepless night
  • your husband leaves to go diving and comes back with a hotel reservation
  • you decide to hike 10+ miles in the heat, in the desert, to a HOT springs
  • you loop your arm through a handhold so you can relax a little
  • you stack up all the spare sails in your aft centerline bunk so you can wedge yourself in
  • your unbreakable french press shatters as it slides off the counter and crashes into the sink
  • you start remembering what things around the salon don’t have non-slip under them
  • you keep wondering “are we there yet?”
  • you can’t find your kitchen knife, then see it sticking point down in the floor like a javelin
  • the stainless steel coffee pot does a swan dive off the stove into the stairs and gets a huge dent
  • a full water bottle does a somersault and spills all over your berth in the middle of the night
LOL!! Thanks for that!

Although it wasn't at anchor, I remember one time sailing off the coast of NJ when our small TV that we "thought" was safely stowed in a port side locker wound up on the starboard side galley floor. It was one of those old, heavy analog TV's so it definitely left a couple of marks on its way across the salon floor! I know, it had nothing to do with the conditions or the boat -- just bad skippering.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, water