Old 06-06-2011, 18:06   #16
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: How would you get back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Living next the Gulf Stream in S FLA, and from statistical data, the dominant wind is from the East to SE. On occassion it will clock to the NE or the west side of the compass for brief periods of time when fronts come through. Based on dominant winds, all you need to do is get out of the heart of the Gulf Stream using a jury rig a down wind sailing rig. Once out of the heart of the Gulf Stream there is a lazy 1 kt drift to the north. If you are up to it- man up and paddle the dink! Or.....

Couldn't an asym spinaker be lashed to what was left of the leeward life lines? The head would need to be elevated using whatever could be rigged. The life lines could be used as shourds/stays to support the temporary mast. Once out of the Gulf Stream, you could make landfall in Savannah (good seafood) or perhaps South Carolina.

Since you are off the east coast of FLA, there are numerous north-south jet ways flying over. So you could use a signal mirror to get the jet attention. If you lost that go down to the head, and tear that one off the wall.

Okay guys would that work?????

Bill
Yeah I live here too, but it's MY story and the wind isn't going to cooperate!

The spinny kite-sail! Very much along the lines I was thinking... use just enough engine to get out of the current. Still a very long trip, but waaaaay closer than Ireland!

Many of us have a bag or locker chock full of old line remnants. Using Mark's compression post, you might just be able to inflate the spinnaker... I wonder if we can keep it out of the water?

So move the scenario to the Gulf side... Just the loop current there.. a long time to nowhere. The prevailing Easterlies are back and Texas is 1000nm away. How do you beat windward with that rig?

Honestly guys, there's no right or wrong, and I have no answer to the dilemma. BUT some of these ideas might come in handy sometime down the road when one of us is demasted and there's no internet to ask!

I was becalmed once with a full fuel tank, but the shaft on my water pump">raw water pump sheared off... I took the domestic fresh water pump and cobbled it to cool the engine. I ran that set up for 40 hours! I returned the pump to the domestic water system and still use it there today.

Old 06-06-2011, 18:25   #17

Boat: Piver Victress

Hmmmmmm ...... grab-bag went over the side ? ..... too too careless !

Meanwhile ...... the mast has gone overboard & I'm 150 to 250 miles out ...

Easy !

Make a video & post it on YouTube ...

Then reach for the SATFONE ! ! !

Old 06-06-2011, 18:41   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

speak to my klingon buddies on my interstella communicator,

"beam me up scotty,the **** has hit the fan,or sails as the case may be"...............
Old 06-06-2011, 18:52   #19

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: How would you get back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtadpole View Post
Hmmmmmm ...... grab-bag went over the side ? ..... too too careless !

Meanwhile ...... the mast has gone overboard & I'm 150 to 250 miles out ...

Easy !

Make a video & post it on YouTube ...

Then reach for the SATFONE ! ! !

I'm reaching for the satphone first thing.
Old 06-06-2011, 18:58   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Mark posted: My undies catch plenty of wind.
I bet they do.
Old 06-06-2011, 20:16   #21

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
I bet they do.
And undies will need lotsa ventilation after a week or two at sea. The OP has not said you have spares. I am sure they got lost with the ditch bag!

Starting to wonder how this yacht ended up with minimal fuel, no poles or sticks and no spare jibs, miles from anywhere. But hey, its not my story.

Give me a pole, a spare jib and some wind, and I can also rig a staysail to get a bit closer to the wind.
Old 06-06-2011, 20:39   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 40

Wouldn't ever be in your exact scenario. I can't stand the way the 150% looks reefed, so I have at least a 100% jib and a storm jib on the boat. Also I have a spinnaker pole to use as a short mast.

I was in Hawaii in 85 when I saw this boat sail in with an incredibly short stumpy mast. Turned out to be Montgomery Street, a Cal 40 that had won Transpac that year. On their return to California they lost the mast and if I remember correctly it was the spinnaker pole that was the jerry rig mast.

John
Old 07-06-2011, 06:53   #23

I was in Hawaii for a delivery in 1969, the year the 90 foot yawl "Mir" crossed the Transpac finish line backwards. They were dismasted in the Molokai Channel, cut away the main, backwinded the mizzen and sailed backwards to the finish.
Afterwards they stepped a telephone pole (literally) for a main, screwed on a sail track and winches and sailed back to California.
The boat is now called "Miramar" and lives at SDYC.

Dave
Old 07-06-2011, 06:59   #24
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
DOJ: Nope.... Chainplate corrosion failure is the best guess
  • Put the kettle on.
  • Have a cuppa tea (and a ciggy )
  • Plot my location (on a piece of paper ).
  • Calculate my present drift rate and heading - and the likely (ultimate!) destination.......and the timescale involved.
  • Calculate how long the water (and Food) could last.
  • Start rating any crew for usefulness / fitting in Freezer
  • Check over and then start the engine (to make sure it does!) - but not in gear until I had been over the side to check that the prop was clear.
  • Ensure that the boat is / becomes watertight - and possibly deploy a drogue or sea anchor.
  • Put the kettle on again
  • Assess what tools and resources I have onboard to design a Jury rig:-
For a Jury rig my priorities would be max height whilst still robust - and easy to remove (aka reef!) the sail. My initial thinking would be something like a Lateen rig. But in practice I guess would be settling for whatever I could

On my boat plenty of wood that could be cannibalised to make up a spar if I had enough epoxy onboard (it's likely ) to laminate and screw / bolt bits together......but at least the stub of one of my masts would be very useful, a boom (or 2!) would be brilliant. and maybe cannibalise the dodger / bimini frame. A given in the spares locker would be some Sta-Locks and s/s wire.

FWIW I would personally risk the mast punching a hole in the hull if it meant I did not have to lose it. But that is probably less risk to me than on other boats (3/4" solid GRP). But even if I did get a hole then (as long as I didn't then sink ) I would consider it a good trade for the spars (and rigging).

The sail would also likely be my primary water catcher (no watermaker onboard - got eaten by a Whale ).

My ambitions would not be to sail upwind but to add to my speed in (more or less) whichever direction the current was going anyway, and see how things go. Adding a knot to a knot of drift would be 50 miles a day. 10 days = 500 miles.....3 months = 4500 miles, and possibly a book deal (if I remember my Bikini ).

Old 07-06-2011, 07:09   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37

If you have thought about this problem sufficiently beforehand, then you would not cut everything away , just all but the forestay, thus making a nice anchor until the sea is sufficiently calm to recover stuff like the boom, and whatever rigging you need to jury rig. I have a long whisker pole and a staysail or at worst, the storm sail which would be more than sufficient to achieve some form of rig.

Remember that Ellen MacArthur sailed a jury rigged catamaran over 2000 miles in the southern ocean when her team lost a mast during a jules verne attempt.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:21   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Good one David

On fuel use. I would only use the fuel to head towards a ship when we would obviously have a very close CPA, in daytime etc. Or for the last few miles to a harbour.
The dink would be held in reserve for a real emergency.

When I find the ship I would see if I could get some spars for a better jury rig, extra food, water and a sat phone. etc. I wouldnt abandon ship, cos Sea Life is all I have

I agree with David that if we were in the situation we would be much more creative in finding a way to make spars. I have 3 table legs, 2 x aluminum, 1 x SS. All the saloon and bed cushion fabric would make nice sails, even sheets and pillow cases. And hard sails made from floor boards.

I know its easy in these theoretical questions to say 'my boat wouldnt do that' or ' i always have spare sails' etc, but these scenarios are good to 'not block the offer' but to accept the scenario and use our scones to get out of it.
Anyway, we may have jumped on someone elses boat for a 3 hour tour!!

Mark

mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:25   #27
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
If you have thought about this problem sufficiently beforehand, then you would not cut everything away ,
People in panic have done vastly worse things.

Consider you were bonked on the head in the initial incident at midnight in the storm and in your dazed state you decided to cut the gear away. Then you wake up the next morning in clear blue sky in 10 knots of wind and flat seas and say Ooooooooops!

But I certainly agree with your point not to cut anything away unless absolutly necessary... i.e. the mast base has rammed a hole in the hull and is sinking you.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:05   #28
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Good stuff guys!
Agreed cutting it all away isn't a good idea, but when something is putting a 12" hole below the waterline..... Jus sayin
Old 07-06-2011, 08:08   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow

Notes to self...
get a kite
find another place to store the Spinnaker pole
get some fake boobies
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:25   #30

Boat: Maxum 37'

I like the idea of using half the fuel to motor to a better position. Shut down all other fuel uses. I try to always have the dink and the ship using the same fuel. I can go a lot more than 10 miles in my dink with a full tank, (6 gals). Position boat so drift will bring as close as possible to land. (Or shallow enough to anchor). Transfer remaining fuel to dink to go for help. Even a small sail will make some progress. Drifting north on the gulf stream will take you across the eastern seaboard of the US the busiest shipping outside of Singapore. There are numerous outjutting land masses near major cities. When you get near one use remaining fuel to reach one. anchor and use dink to cross any remaining distance.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: