Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2014, 04:59   #31
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: How to Find a Quiet Cabin Fan?

I realize this is an old thread but I'm researching fans today and saw the post about buying West Marine's warranty and then, I suppose, just taking an armload of fans back every year to West Marine and exchanging them under warranty.

The actual costs for us to go to the nearest West Marine for anything would far exceed the cost of us throwing a product out and Fed Exing down a new one. paper warranties are worthless to us, living outside the USA. "just return it for....." is meaningless. After living on this little foreign tropical island for almost ten years now we're finding that buying the best you can buy the first time around is generally the best approach. The money we might have saved by trying to save money is usually eaten up by having to replace the cheap version. We never bother to package something up, fill out the Customs Export paperwork, Fed Ex it to the USA for a hunded bucks, (no reliable postal service here) and then go through a similar procedure to get it back whether they repaired it for free or whatever. Not worth it in almost all cases.

So, from our standpoint, that endorsement of the Caframo Scirocco that will fail in less than a year but can be exchanged under warranty......just cost them the sale of four fans.
Old 25-07-2014, 07:31   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
The money we might have saved by trying to save money is usually eaten up by having to replace the cheap version.
I wholeheartedly agree.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 07:50   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Like tools. Long time ago I learned don't buy cheap tools they end up costing more than goods ones with the aggravation they cause etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 08:31   #34

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
So, from our standpoint, that endorsement of the Caframo Scirocco that will fail in less than a year but can be exchanged under warranty......just cost them the sale of four fans.
You based your purchase decision on one negative review?

If you want the most durable, simplest, and quietest fan, I suggest the Caframo Ultimate series. Built like little tanks, move a lot of air (because of no cage), and remarkably inexpensive compared to the alternative. You'll find nothing but positive reviews for them, at least compared to your other options. Just because a product is less expensive does not mean it's inferior.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 08:50   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
You based your purchase decision on one negative review?

If you want the most durable, simplest, and quietest fan, I suggest the Caframo Ultimate series. Built like little tanks, move a lot of air (because of no cage), and remarkably inexpensive compared to the alternative. You'll find nothing but positive reviews for them, at least compared to your other options. Just because a product is less expensive does not mean it's inferior.
I've heard nothing but good things about them, but found out then when it's God Awful hot, not much beats a 20" box fan and inverter, pulls a lot of amps though, but cheap and lots of air.
Wife made me take it down, but I had a Redneck ceiling fan, 20" box fan hung with line from my grab handles and a port light over the seatee, work great, but she couldn't get over how it looked
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 15:47   #36
One of Those

I've just ordered four of the Caframo 747 models. I think that's the model. The two bladed thing with no cage and the cheap version without the suction cup and cigar lighter plug. Based on opinions and experiences I read here, along with the most sincere hope that the name Caframo is something other than Chinese.
Old 25-07-2014, 16:10   #37

Boat: Cornado 25

I'm gonna try one of these.... DC axial flow fans, muffin fans

The V12H is rated at 10-13.8 Vdc 600mA 320cfm... According to ENGINEERING.com | Air Flow Conversion Calculator
that works out (for a 4.5" fan) to 1086.5 ft/min face velocity or 12.3 mph (10.7 knots) ... Hell, thats enough breeze to sail by! Maybe if I order a whole bunch, I can dump the iron genoa?

Seriously, at $22.50 and made here in VA, I figure one or two is worth a try. 50 dBA at 1 meter (same as average residential refrigerator) and 50,000 hrs life expectancy.

Of course I will have to "rig" a mount, but if they work I might have a winner. Particularly fond of the 600mA battery saving draw...
capt-couillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 17:09   #38

Boat: Stevens 47

We switched from Hella to Camframo, Kona and 747 models. What a disappointment! From 6 to 13 months, 6 fans failed. The 747 models move much air and have easy to clean blades, but a 1-year lifespan is so wasteful. The Kona model is expensive, hard to clean, poor airflow, and for us failed sooner than 747. Junk.
svTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 18:11   #39

Boat: csy 37

We bought 4 12V fans in the walmart auto department about 4 years ago for $9 each. 3 of them are still working...

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 18:49   #40
One of Those

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt-couillon View Post

Of course I will have to "rig" a mount, but if they work I might have a winner. Particularly fond of the 600mA battery saving draw...
Have you got access to a 3D printer? Designing and printing up a mount for one of these would be pretty simple. Could make it gimbaled or articulated. There are a bunch of ideas on Search Thingiverse - Thingiverse
Old 26-07-2014, 09:20   #41

Boat: Newport 30
Re: How to find a quite cabin fen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
The "Endless Breeze" 12 volt fan is great. Lots of air, quite and just the thing for a hot still night.
Fan-Tastic Endless Breeze 12V Fan - Fan-Tastic Vent CW01100WH - Fans - Camping World

I love this fan. Moves alot of air! Worth the money.
Old 26-07-2014, 13:36   #42

Boat: Defever 38 trawler

Check this fan out. If you have room for it, this 20" fan is quiet, light, variable speed, and really moves the air when you need it. Draws 4 A. Plugs into a 12V receptacle. The cord is over 6' long.

We took one of these down to our boat in Mexico last year and were really happy we had it. Placed on the floor in the cabin at night, it was barely audible on a low setting. A bit pricey, but what price do you put on comfort at anchor? Well built by some Amish folks in Iowa. You can contact them also through their retail store, and buy direct from them.

http://www.backwoodssolar.com/12v-20...d-portable-fan
bajatrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 16:47   #43

Boat: Seafarer36c

If you want the most durable, simplest, and quietest fan, I suggest the Caframo Ultimate series. Built like little tanks, move a lot of air (because of no cage), and remarkably inexpensive compared to the alternative. You'll find nothing but positive reviews for them, at least compared to your other options. Just because a product is less expensive does not mean it's inferior.[/QUOTE]

If you are talking about those little 2 bladed bastards, I find them frightening. Every time you have to turn them on or off it's kind of like sticking your finger in a light socket. Even though there is no damage it is still a shock when you get whacked by a blade.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 06:37   #44

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

We have been using the Caframo fans for decades and they have been the quietest and most energy efficient. But recently we had two almost catch fire and both were less than a year old. Caframo did send us two replacements which we installed and they are working fine. Only time will tell if this was a fluke or a current problem. I would suggest making sure you turn all fans off anytime you leave the boat. If we had not been on board at the time the smoke got out of the fan, things could have been worse. We still recommend the Caframo, with a word of caution. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin