Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 14:14   #16

Boat: Privilege 45 & Irwin 33 MkII
Re: How to Find a Quiet Cabin Fan?

What's with the drama on this site? Just recently came on to help a few folks and all I see is drama. People bored enough to want to stir something up by taking pokes at someone who is here for help, more than for some twisted style of social networking - so it would seem. I think I'm already starting to regret helping people like this. This may be my last post. I don't have the time you all must have to be that bored...

Thank goodness this is not the case with most of the cruisers who are actually out here cruising by, that I deal with daily. A few good answers and then drama. OK, enough with my own drama here. Dumb waste...

After MANY of our own fans and replacing hundreds for clients, we've settled on the Caframo Sirroco (model 807). We runs these 24/7 and have done so for 3 years now (we are in the Virgins - full time on board). There are 8 on our cat and 4 on our mono. They get very quiet on low but still move air. On high, you'll feel them across a 14 foot saloon. The other major aspect to consider for most is power draw. These fans sip their power. Lowest consumption I've tested, and for my power retrofit customers, usually their second purchase.

Buy them at West Marine and get the extended warranty. They WILL fail in less than a year a lot of the time. With WM you only need buy one warranty. When one fails, go exchange it and buy a new warranty for the next one. Sounds like a pain but the upside is you will have continuously new fans for about twelve bucks a pop after the initial investment. They come in white and black. They are very easy to install and replace.
BOATDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 18:17   #17

Boat: Beneteau 461

Thank you for your recommendation! Really appreciate it
SailSummerWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 20:23   #18

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I love the features on the scirroco but for the price its sad it doesn't last longer. If your cruising I'd sacrifice and get a slightly noisier hella that will last 10 years over one of these that will leave you fanless in a remote area. I get aggravated renting all these "disposable" items. Items that only last a year or two that cost a premium.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:36   #19

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Our AC (current) fans are from the local big box store, and they run mostly 24/7, at least when we have AC (current) available... which is most of the time. They're not screwed down, just scattered around the boat, in the saloon, at least one in each stateroom, etc.

They have two noise components: the fan motor, and stand vibration.

I haven't tried to do anything about the fan motor noise, although I suspect an occasional drop of lube might be in order.

OTOH, I have addressed the stand vibration issue by placing a small piece (or two, depending on thickness) of non-skid material, as in the stuff you'd use under a rug on a hardwood floor. Adding the insulation between the fan's hard mount and tabletop helps quite a lot. That should also likely be the case for permanent mounting systems, where some kind of flexible bushing in the mounts may well help reduce vibration noise.

-Chris
Old 12-05-2014, 07:32   #20

Boat: 1978 30' Albin Ballad "Mystic"
Send a message via Skype™ to symystic

I use the Caframo 757 fans, but I use the rubber base, screw that down and it is all but noiseless. Moves lots of air, uses very little power. Easy to clean.
Old 13-05-2014, 05:34   #21

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by symystic View Post
I use the Caframo 757 fans, but I use the rubber base, screw that down and it is all but noiseless. Moves lots of air, uses very little power. Easy to clean.

We agree with symystic. Have been using the Caframo fans more than 10 years and that is full time cruising. We have 6 onboard and most are on the big clothespin style fastener. Even have one that is able to be moved to the cockpit. Spend a few summers in the Sea of Cortez and you will get the point. We have used these fans for 1000's of hours with very few failures. In fact 4 summers running 24/7! Of course we don't have them all running at the same time but where we are sitting there is a fan.

Safe Sailing

Chuck
Jacaranda
Old 13-05-2014, 07:19   #22

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

lot of hot air on this thread.
Old 13-05-2014, 08:01   #23
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

We've switched from Hellas to the Calframo Sirocco. Would never go back.
Old 13-05-2014, 11:50   #24

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

Got one Sirocco, and plan on buying more. If Bash or Jedi says it is good, I know I will like it as well.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 11:57   #25

The Hella is quiet, works well and too expensive. But if you want quiet and life I would go with that. I guess they do fail sometimes but mine lasted 3+ years on two different boats with zero failures. Oh... and they were on the boats when I got them... so who knows how old they were!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 12:13   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quiet fan? Buy any fan, carefully install it. Then hit it with a hammer.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 13:02   #27

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Quiet fan? Buy any fan, carefully install it. Then hit it with a hammer.

Lol

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 19:08   #28

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOATDOCTOR View Post
What's with the drama on this site? Just recently came on to help a few folks and all I see is drama. People bored enough to want to stir something up by taking pokes at someone who is here for help, more than for some twisted style of social networking - so it would seem. I think I'm already starting to regret helping people like this. This may be my last post. I don't have the time you all must have to be that bored...

Thank goodness this is not the case with most of the cruisers who are actually out here cruising by, that I deal with daily. A few good answers and then drama. OK, enough with my own drama here. Dumb waste...
ace.
Whats with all the drama about the drama...lighten up.

The noise of a fan is the blades and little to do with the motor. I have Hella's and as most of you know they fall apart before too long. Mostly (I believe) due to the lack of balance of the blades. In the larger Hella's, there is a PC board in it that fries also. It's a wonder there has not been a fire from these.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 12:53   #29

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

I mounted a Hella turbo for the galley and solon and a caframo sirocco in my berth last year. They are both great fans but if I mount another it'll probably be a hella. I really do like the timer function on the sirocco, it's in the forward berth and brings air in thru the hatch, I normally set it for 4 hours and I'am fast asleep when it shuts off and by then it's cool enough not to need it, for this type use I recommend the sirocco.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 14:39   #30

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Anybody try the Califamo Taku hatch fans. I hear good things about them...
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin