Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2016, 13:54   #46

Boat: Ted Brewer, Bulldog 30' built in aluminum
Re: How Long Will Your Bilge Pump Last in Emergency?

My emergency TOP FIVE list: start the engine...a priori.
Your scenario relies on at least some juice in the battery. Taking the charging unit out of the equation complicates every aspect of survival: AIS/VHF, SSB, strobe...but especially the electric pumps. You don't mention a serviceable manual pump, but that large of a hole would be impossible by even a big Whale/Gusher.
I have plumbed cooling water">engine cooling water intake through a two-way stopcock to suck high water from the just under the floorboards (instead of sea water inlet), should a massive leak not be handled by my two other electric bilge pumps (and, of course, the big Whale manual pump). The caveat that you can sense coming is to NEVER let that bilge cooling water run dry or get fouled. I have a good snorkle-screen on the inlet hose, and it would only be activated under the kind of emergency scenario you are proposing. Hope never to put it to the test.
kmcshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 15:14   #47
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

When I went on a voyage from Halifax Nova Scotia to Newfoundland, and that means across the Newfoundland Grand Banks, a place notorious for bad weather and lost ships, I was immediately impressed when I boarded the tricked-out J42 owned by CF Member BOSTON BLACKIE.

What first caught my attention in the cockpit was the Edson 30GPM (1 gallon per stroke) large manual pump, on its portable foot board, lashed nicely to the binnacle.

My first impression? "This skipper is seriously prepared and I like that!"

Yes, the pump is expensive, but this pump works so well, no batteries required!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EDSON 30GPM Portable Pump 2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	179015  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 16:39   #48

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I'd get around the rules and use the running engine's raw water intake to pick up the slack. Unhook it from the seacock and plumb to the bilge.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 20:49   #49
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I'd get around the rules and use the running engine's raw water intake to pick up the slack. Unhook it from the seacock and plumb to the bilge.
The following is written in a friendly tone of voice, and with the sole intent to help you and others think about this issue.

There is a problem with this oft mentioned tactic.

Do you know the flow rate of your engine cooling system?

For many small engines, that flow rate is low, which means few gallons per hour pumped. In addition, debris or junk that is floating in the bilge may get sucked up into the engine, causing catastrophic failure, and that could be at a critical time and location.

Assuming you already know your engine's cooling flow rate, please post the engine type and how many gallons per minute it pumps through the engine at idle. That would be good to know.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, emergency, enc