Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2015, 23:45   #1

How do you earn an income cruising full time?

I would really like to be able to travel full time and manage to not only live day to day or week to week but also manage to build up a reserve. I have a background in the medical field but this occupation requires me to be harbored for fixed amounts of time. My question is anyone making a substantial living without having a special degree in computer science or IT? What are the possibilities besides those?
sovereign1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 23:52   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: How do you earn an income cruising full time?

sovereign one,

Start with a large fortune. [joke]

Ann
Old 23-09-2015, 00:12   #3

Boat: Antares 44i

I am an intellectual property attorney and I register, protect and license my clients' copyrights and trademarks while I'm sailing. As long as I have internet connectivity, I can do my work.
I was lucky to have built up my expertise before I set sail (through good fortune at one point I was listed as in the top 50 trademark attorneys in the USA)
One part of my work that's especially fun to do while sailing is register US trademarks in many of the countries I've sailed to, all electronically via certain international treaty
systems
But my bread and butter is very cost-effectively (I have low overhead do I can give more personalized expertise and better value than legal zoom) registering US trademarks & copyrights
EllesBelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 22:08   #4

Thanks but that might be a conflicting job due to the fact I don't believe in intellectual property. I guess Im leaning more toward chartering. But I suspect that to requires a base of operation.
Old 23-09-2015, 23:07   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereign1 View Post
I would really like to be able to travel full time and manage to not only live day to day or week to week but also manage to build up a reserve. I have a background in the medical field but this occupation requires me to be harbored for fixed amounts of time. My question is anyone making a substantial living without having a special degree in computer science or IT? What are the possibilities besides those?
Howdy Sovereign, and Welcome Aboard CF!

You have asked the perennial question on most cruiser's minds.
More on that below.

First...

Since you are new to this forum, let me mention a few things you might miss but that could help you more enjoy your time here:

There is an amazing amount of shared knowledge found in the thousands of threads on this forum. If one has a common question, the answers are usually there, often with different possible solutions. The trick is finding those threads and answers as they can be "lost" in the many threads, which are often not titled well.

Here are my favorite Tips for newcomers to this forum:

WIKI
Take a look at the Cruising WIKI that is found via the tab up on the top menu bar of the forum. It has a LOT of information in it you might find fun, interesting, or helpful.

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive or key terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is VERY different from using the regular forum search box or field (which I never use because of poor search results). Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF mobile app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, IE, Firefox, etc.

Note: The ordinary "search" field on this forum has yielded less helpful results for me when I perform searches. That is why I prefer and suggest the use of the alternative "Google Custom Search" instead. I see a very clear and big difference and find the Google Custom Search much easier for scanning (with my eyes) threads for relevant comments and information.

I am confident if you spend some time trying different search terms (key words) using this method, you will find much advice and many tips.

(NOTE: Don't let the blue link text fool you. Sometimes the forum software puts other words in place of the link info, but the link will take you to the proper page, I just tested it.

Earn Money While Cruising?

Custom Google Search of CF
Key Words = earn money

earn money - Google Search

The following is just ONE of the many threads on this topic:
Over 80 pages of Discussion of Ideas
Make Money While Cruising
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-37982-82.html
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 23:10   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllesBelles View Post
I am an intellectual property attorney and I register, protect and license my clients' copyrights and trademarks while I'm sailing. As long as I have internet connectivity, I can do my work.
I was lucky to have built up my expertise before I set sail (through good fortune at one point I was listed as in the top 50 trademark attorneys in the USA)
One part of my work that's especially fun to do while sailing is register US trademarks in many of the countries I've sailed to, all electronically via certain international treaty
systems
But my bread and butter is very cost-effectively (I have low overhead do I can give more personalized expertise and better value than legal zoom) registering US trademarks & copyrights
Howdy Ellen and/or Rand!

Thanks for adding your own experience.

I understand something of IP and had an acquaintance in SF years ago who was an IP lawyer. I thought it was a very interesting career choice.

It is interesting to learn you can now do that while cruising. Cool!

Also, you have a very nice boat. One that appeals to me too (unfortunately just a dream boat).

Bon Voyage!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 08:49   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Thanks but that might be a conflicting job due to the fact I don't believe in intellectual property.
Well I guess that limits your options somewhat. So forget writing books, articles or music, writing software or marketing any kind of unique product you develop.

Quote:
I guess Im leaning more toward chartering. But I suspect that to requires a base of operation.
Usually yes you will need a base of operations and be willing to share your home with an ongoing stream of strangers. In the typical charter operation it also requires a fairly large, roomy, nice boat. Trying to do pick charters as you travel country to country can be big trouble as most countries have requirements for work permits, licenses, etc. Some do get away with it but it's a gamble.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 08:50   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 409

Quote:
Thanks but that might be a conflicting job due to the fact I don't believe in intellectual property. I guess Im leaning more toward chartering. But I suspect that to requires a base of operation.
Interesting comment,"... I don't believe in intellectual property." Would be a good conversation starter. 😋
Windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 08:55   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Almost anything done with a computer can be done on-line and remote, provided you have an internet connection. I do engineering design and a bit of HTML coding to keep dekat in kibble. Others do editing, coding, etc.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 09:14   #10

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Since you will be cruising, you know what other cruisers need:

Outboard engine repair
Diesel engine repair
Sail repair
Fiberglass repair
Electrical installation and repair

Learn one of these skills, and you will be busy for sure. If you don't want to learn a skill, you can do oil changes, sand bottoms, clean bilges, etc. Making money is merely convincing someone to give you theirs. The easiest way of doing that is to be their bitch, and do the hard work they don't want to do for themselves. It may come as a shock to some CF members, but some people in big boats have buckets of money to spread around. Sadly, I am not one of those people.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 09:29   #11

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsurfer View Post
Interesting comment,"... I don't believe in intellectual property." Would be a good conversation starter. ��
Try having a similar conversation with all your friends that work at the Patent and Trademark office in Alexandria after about 10 whiskeys!

The reality is that while YOU may not believe in IP, whomever will be paying you does and takes it very seriously. In fact, you can't really get a job without signing an IP and/or a non-disclosure agreement.

If you have worked in the Medical field you may still be able to make some good money working in IT as a business analyst. These folks work alongside the IT "machine" and provide guidance.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 10:34   #12

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

We've tried every legal means of utilizing a sailing vessel as a tool to make a living.
Commercial fishing, cargo to remote atolls, oceanographic research, transport, sail training etc etc.
Our favorite was to purchase and restore the most classic vessel we could find, in our case the Tallship Unicorn of St. Helier. Less expensive than your average 40' cat. Then corporations, cities, towns and countries throw tens of thousands of dollars at you just to show up to their party at which you're the honored guest. Use a crew of paying rust chipping kids and you can collect the keys of many cities. Tee shirt sales alone will pay for much of your overhead
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 11:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Well I guess that limits your options somewhat. So forget writing books, articles or music, writing software or marketing any kind of unique product you develop.

Im not attacking your profession. Just expressing my opunion on the matter.

https://youtu.be/TmA4AEGzoUs

Usually yes you will need a base of operations and be willing to share your home with an ongoing stream of strangers. In the typical charter operation it also requires a fairly large, roomy, nice boat. Trying to do pick charters as you travel country to country can be big trouble as most countries have requirements for work permits, licenses, etc. Some do get away with it but it's a gamble.
I love to gamble
Old 24-09-2015, 14:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Almost anything done with a computer can be done on-line and remote, provided you have an internet connection. I do engineering design and a bit of HTML coding to keep dekat in kibble. Others do editing, coding, etc.
Yes, But design and coding are Intellectual property, which the OP doesn't believe in.
Getweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 14:55   #15

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
sovereign one,

Start with a large fortune. [joke]

Ann
This is the best and most realistic answer to the OP's question, even though it was meant as a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Since you will be cruising, you know what other cruisers need:

Outboard engine repair
Diesel engine repair
Sail repair
Fiberglass repair
Electrical installation and repair

Learn one of these skills, and you will be busy for sure.
But you will still be poor. Cruisers are notoriously cheap in this regard, and big rich boats have bespoke people for these jobs. One might make some beer money, but one won't be cruising while earning a full income like this - unless one redefines "cruising" to mean "living somewhere else doing a 9-5 job".

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, income