Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-01-2016, 05:29   #91

Boat: 1979 Watkins 27
Re: How do you earn an income cruising full time?

Well I didn't win the lottery yesterday so I guess I'll have to keep this software job a few more years.

Old 14-01-2016, 05:36   #92

Boat: Actively searching for one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
100% Quote Bertie86...

P.s. Are you the owner of Santander bank or just the city?
Neither, unfortunately... However, the Santander bank owner's superyacht is moored here in the Marina: https://www.google.es/maps/@43.42832.../data=!3m1!1e3

I don't think it was a good investment, I've never seen it under way...

Old 14-01-2016, 06:04   #93

Boat: Ohlson 29

A lot of people successfully earn some extra money while cruising, but I only know one couple that made a living while cruising. They left with a budget for one year max, if frugal. They sailed for six years, all the while working while cruising to be able to keep going.

It worked for them, but they are very honest about it: you cruise to work as much as you work to cruise. In other words: work dictates a lot of your can and can't do's, which can be very hard when sailing and also needing weather windows, make longer passages etc. etc.
They were both well established professionals before they left, and their large client base kept them going when sailing.

I earn my bread & butter by developing websites (and I've gotten quite good at 'cruisers websites' since moving aboard, lol), which in theory can be done anywhere where there's decent internet. But it's hard enough making enough now, so I can only imagine how hard it'll be while sailing. Hopefully it'll allow me to make a little extra money every now and again, but I'm not counting on it.
Old 14-01-2016, 06:09   #94
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

th e good thing on working medical field is there are travel companies thru which to get jobs world wide. i was researching this before i got broken.
have fun.
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 12:54   #95

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

..Humm.. I don't know if this is gonna help you or not but I work with stock trader few hours at day.. Also I do some marine electronic consulting and design.. and when economic tide is really low, I work with collections (I'm sure I'm the only one around..)
Old 19-01-2016, 10:07   #96
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I never made any money while cruising.

I spent a lot of money during our circumnavigation. I kept our dreams afloat by intermittently flying to Arabia to do locum tenens work at a hospital. Fortunately, I cruised on $500 to $1000 per month which makes cruising more affordable, barring any major problems.

Making money from an online business is difficult. I have many websites, and and it's hard to make them pay for themselves unless you let advertisements pollute your websites. So far I refuse to put google advertisements on the Positive Thinking Network. I think I would rather shut my websites down than turn them into an advertising platform with ad words.

http://SailingUNI.com
http://maxingout.com
http://PositiveThinkingSailor.com
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 10:11   #97

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
So far I refuse to put google advertisements on the Positive Thinking Network.
Ads aren't worth the hassle anymore; most people dislike them and have ad blockers installed so they don't even see most ads anymore anyway.

There used to be money in Google Ads, but those days are long gone.
Old 19-01-2016, 10:36   #98

Boat: Antares 44i

Viber helps us a lot!

Sailing throughout the Mediterranean, we can buy roughly 10 gigs of data on sim cards for about $15 each time. Then, as long as we are close enough to shore to reach the local cell carrier, we can stay in touch with our customers, clients and businesses anywhere in the world.

Of course, when we're on passages, or crossing an ocean away from cell, it's more of a challenge to keep our businesses running smoothly. Then, for us at least, we have to rely on getting someone to handle communications for us and text us only messages (on our delorme in reach) of things we must attend to. And then we use our Sat phone to communicate.
EllesBelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:36   #99

Boat: C & C 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Agreed. Let's look at that theoretical $500 a month figure...

Lets assume that for every month you work you want to get two months of freedom. This means you need to make $1500 a month (current expenses for a month plus two months).

Lets also assume you can only find "close to minimum" wage jobs @ $10 an hour cause you don't have a degree or skills that pay a lot.

You would have to work all 4 weeks a month to make that $1500. If you wanted months of freedom you would have to work for 3 months.

Now, let's assume a more realistic sum of $1500 a month.

The math doesn't work with the available jobs and without having a higher education or higher skill. At that $1500 a month and keeping the "two months" of freedom assumption you would need to be making between $25 and $27 an hour 40 hours a week - not including taxes. That's a full time job making about 56K a year! I doubt there are any non-IT non-grad skills that pay 56K a year and if they do exist they are not abundant.

I'm an HVAC tech in Minneapolis area making 60k. No grad skills but I do have 20 years experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-05-2016, 08:27   #100
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I am just finishing reading one of those financial self-help books written by one of those young suntanned self-proclaimed business gurus (who seem to live mostly off selling such books to elderly ladies living off their pensions).

I must admit, this book is full of BS: he makes a promise and he never delivers on it. And yet, the book contains a handful of mind bending tricks that are worth of accepting by anyone who wants to live away from the life support net of our jobs, families and the cera.

Why I am writing this is one to warn those who might at some point believe that there are any answers. Then again, I want to encourage the brave ones to persevere, read, think and try things.

It is possible, though not easy, to live a full time cruising life and earn income at the same time.

b.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:16   #101

My way - quite high school, become a brick layer, buy your first house in you early 20's and start flipping them. Get the contract to plow snow for the entire public board of education and part of the catholic board.
You can retire at 47 and be wondering how you are going to spend all your money before you die.
Biggest key is to live for yourself, who cares what other people have/think.
I no longer work much in the summer (only if it is an interesting job like a church or historic building), have one year left on the plowing contract. Moving west to become a full time live aboard cruiser soon after that.
I put this plan into action at the age of 18, knew what I wanted - figured out a way to make it happen.
Old 04-05-2016, 18:34   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
My way - quite high school, become a brick layer, buy your first house in you early 20's and start flipping them. Get the contract to plow snow for the entire public board of education and part of the catholic board.
You can retire at 47 and be wondering how you are going to spend all your money before you die.
Biggest key is to live for yourself, who cares what other people have/think.
I no longer work much in the summer (only if it is an interesting job like a church or historic building), have one year left on the plowing contract. Moving west to become a full time live aboard cruiser soon after that.
I put this plan into action at the age of 18, knew what I wanted - figured out a way to make it happen.
While it tells us how you built up your funds so that you could go cruising, you are not and apparently don't plan to earn an income while cruising. So your story adds absolutely nothing to: "How do you earn an income cruising full time"
Old 05-05-2016, 03:09   #103

That money provides me with an income of about 50 000$ a year after taxes without touching the principle.
Add in pensions in a few more years and that number rises to 70+.
With the exception of a very few careers and/or a lot of luck 99% of the people are fooling themselves if they think that are going to generate a GOOD long term living income cruising.
There are exceptions to the rule, people who are truly gifted writers, photographers. Top level lawyers in certain fields, programmers....Few careers you can successfully telecommute, then you better be damn good at what you do!
Be easy if you could just show up anyplace and say "I'm here give me my job!".
You either start with a big pile of cash or go for a couple years then return home to work - repeat until fed up.....
Old 05-05-2016, 07:45   #104
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I mentioned this before but may bear repeating. Some kind of sales is an option. Done properly it carries none of the risks of the various market trading schemes and there are ways to do this with minimum cash investment.

I can conduct my business anywhere I can make a phone call, send/receive emails or even short texts using the new, very inexpensive satellite systems like Inreach. Maybe not for everyone and it does take some work up front to get it going and learn your niche but once it's established you cut back or delegate the routine work.

I have one very profitable product that I've been selling for 12 years. Three to four times a year I get an order from the customer. All I have to do is send my PO to the supplier, notify my customs broker to arrange clearance and have my bank send a wire transfer to the supplier.
Old 07-05-2016, 00:51   #105

What is the medical background? Traveling nurses can be a good gig and are always in demand and even getting visas is often not too problematic if you are willing to stay for 3-6months at a time.

Most success seems to be people who left a full time job with a client base and a specialty that is hard to replace. (that's where we are but we also spend time away from cruising to meet client needs)

Generic IT work can be done by anyone anywhere...think India data centers with pools of workers making less than minimum wage.

Once you leave your home country, any local work is going to run into visa rules. Particularly if you don't have some special skill in high demand.

Making the next million dollar app, youtube channel or blog are little more than playing the lottery. If it works, great but hardly a plan.

If you aren't willing to make a plan to have money saved up or skills/clients available, it means you are stuck scrimping to get by. That's not intrinsically wrong but not what most people want when they think of sailing off into the sunset.

Tags
cruising, income

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: