Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-10-2015, 09:42   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: How do you earn an income cruising full time?

I want to point out that I am not rich, that I could not Retire forever in the house we currently occupy, but that by being just a little frugal, we can Retire on a boat, the lack of taxes alone save me $500 a month. I consider automobile tags fees etc as taxes.
Actually house is sold and the proceeds from it are funding a portion of the Retirement income.

In calculating out the "how can we afford to cruise" thing, don't forget what liquidating your current assets may bring as well as the expenses you lose, up until I decided to cruise, the house and land were not considered into the equation of Retirement.
Truth is between upkeep and taxes and all the bills associated with a "too big" house, keeping the darn thing was extending the Retirement date considerably.

Old 29-10-2015, 11:38   #62

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You know, I have a gut feeling that you may just have a Ranch, the size of which would put a few Texas Ranch's to shame.
Am I correct?
Not really, its just a bit bigger than a hobby farm and a bit smaller than a real farm but it helps support my habit. Grass fed beef that don't need a lot of looking after.

Re fear of retirement.... in the day job 10 years ago three of us at the top of our little totem poles.... two of us bailed early-ish, me on my 60th, the other 61.
The third could give you a thousand and one reasons why he couldn't afford to retire.... at 64 he had a stroke... lost the sight in one eye... a lot of use his extra $$$ were to him.

El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 11:58   #63

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryNumber View Post
How did you learn FX Trading, or how would you recommend learning FX Trading?
No, in fact the NFA just launched a big investigation into a bunch of FX trading companies. In a nutshell, because this sector is so deregulated they FX trading companies were purposefully manipulating the markets against your trades so you almost always lost. If you did win its only because they were going after a bigger fish that traded the opposite of you.

They also delay your trades to force slippage but only when it works in the firms favor.

Basically, they were scamming their customers.

Until this area becomes more regulated - I would stay away from it.
Old 29-10-2015, 12:53   #64

I would add - its extremely easy to make money these days working remotely. I have been in an office for nine days this year. All the rest of the time I have worked remotely on a schedule I usually set.

I'll give you three very easy examples:

www.upwork.com - work in any number of fields as a freelance
www.udemy.com - develop online course content and sell it
www.usertesting.com - test applications remotely

The list goes on and on and on. There is only one company on here I do work for but there are a TON of possibilities.

Just don't put all your eggs in one basket, spread yourself out among different services.
Old 29-10-2015, 13:34   #65

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfprimal View Post
Well I've known devs who make $17k/mo off one stupid app that took all of a Saturday to make and I've seen apps developed by companies for a substantial amount of money and time abandoned 6 months after their release. It all really depends on the app, target audience demographics and competition to name a few.

Smartphone penetration is now at 75% of mobile subscribers in the US, that's roughly 225MM phones (not to mention US tablets or other countries numbers). If you could get 1/1000th of 1% of the US smartphones to buy your app. That's roughly $1500 for 1 app's installs (@ .99 cents). What if you had 10 apps in the marketplace(s) reaching only a fraction of that? What if they were ad supported, have in-app purchases?

You may be surprised how many people with pay .99 cents for an app, even if they will only use it once.

I'm not saying it's easy (was that a requirement?), and you need to come up with quality app ideas (or improve on others). Stay away from niche markets (I've made this mistake; Scuba), prepare to fail with most of your ideas. But just one [decent, brilliant, lucky or completely stupid] idea could be a great source of income for a cruiser and keep the kitty full. Also you aren't competing directly with 100,000s of devs, only the ones with a competing app. Whereas if you are looking for Freelance/contractor/remote/telecommute work, you are competing against the masses even with a "bitchingly good resume" and still doing work for someone else, presumably on their timetable, not your cruising schedule.

My .02 cents. YMMV.
17k for a half days work... I'm calling BS. There is very little money in app development these days. Cashing your startup works well. I've done it twice. I then take a year or two off.

The good money is with corporate clients who expect people to be onsite. If you have existing relationships you can make great money.

I work remotely for a major tech org as a consultant. The money is great but clients still expect to see faces. I travel a lot but rarely more than 2 or 3 days a week.

Occasionally I'll take on an internal project that allows me to go offline for a month or two. I work on watch and will code while at anchor.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 29-10-2015, 14:20   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I'm sure some folks can make a killing with an app or Book, or what ever. But the odds are not in your favor. There are Tons of folks writing apps they hope will be the next great thing. The vast majority don't get far. Same with books, Writing a book is one thing, selling it is much harder.

Myself, while I freelance, I don't compete with the other freelancers on Odesk or elsewhere. I don't bid on projects and never have. I have several very solid clients that I've met through Odesk. All contacted me to have me work on their projects. Pretty sweet!.

They give me enough work, week after week, to keep my income fairly constant. I tend to work about 15 hours a week. Sometimes more, sometimes only 10 hours a week or even less. This week I've 12 hour spread across 4-5 days. It's not much time to worry about.

My clients are happy because they don't need to hire a $80k-$100k/year engineer. I'm happy because I can work from a boat. So it's a win-win for me. YMMV.
Old 29-10-2015, 15:50   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
My clients are happy because they don't need to hire a $80k-$100k/year engineer. I'm happy because I can work from a boat. So it's a win-win for me. YMMV.
ding ding ding!
Old 29-10-2015, 16:34   #68

Boat: Catalina 470

For me it was realizing I just needed enough not 1 cent more. Also I decided not to have children. I sold half my business and I semi retired at approx 40 and are cruising more or less fulltime at 46. I rent the house out and have a 30 year old boat. My ego always wants a bigger newer boat but it breaks the rules"you only need enough". Nothing is completely free, the income I recieve from my half of the business is good but you still own responsibility ie. I got sued in the last 3 years. It's about working out what you value most , what your willing to give up or pay to have it and then taking action. At home we are chasing security, it's a myth, there is none! Life is fleeting and can change in a heart beat. I'm lucky I know this, but making decisions that hand been different from that of my friends ie. not having kids had certainly helped in the luck department. I also realize life can change tomorrow and my cruising may come to a end, best to enjoy it now. For me the normal path, wife , kids, career etc is just to much of a cost that I'm not willing to pay. That's a personal choice.
Cheers Dale.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 29-10-2015, 16:41   #69

Boat: Catalina 470

Sorry, what I'm trying to say is its not just the income, it's the outgoings that matter just as much and the psychology that goes with embracing frugalism as well as the security disease that is programmed into us. Less is so much more in many ways.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-10-2015, 05:00   #70

Boat: 1979 Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I would add - its extremely easy to make money these days working remotely. I have been in an office for nine days this year. All the rest of the time I have worked remotely on a schedule I usually set.

I'll give you three very easy examples:

www.upwork.com - work in any number of fields as a freelance
www.udemy.com - develop online course content and sell it
www.usertesting.com - test applications remotely

The list goes on and on and on. There is only one company on here I do work for but there are a TON of possibilities.

Just don't put all your eggs in one basket, spread yourself out among different services.
Thanks, I'm going to check them out.
Old 30-10-2015, 07:47   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Vancouver 27

I've been a floating web guy for about 4 years now, but I was not able to make it very far "cruising" before deciding to "quasi-retire". I kept my lower-maintenance clients, and take on project based work for them as our schedules dictate.

Whatever it is, being able to take on project based work with finite completion dates seems key to the endeavor. You get the job done and enter cruise mode. Or you work very part time!!
Old 01-12-2015, 07:29   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadc View Post
Thanks, I'm going to check them out.
There are more of these

guru.com
fiver.com

and several others.

But if you're bidding on work here - you're going to get paid something like 1-2 cents per word.

Think $5 or $10 per page you write - you'll get tired awfully fast.

I get work from some of these - but then I have several not so common skills that people are willing to pay for.

I have several customers that contact me - a bit off and on which is fine with me since I really don't need the income but it keeps me busy
Old 01-12-2015, 11:44   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Trading in ethnic art and artefacts is a fine way too. You can actually contact galleries and collectors prior to departure and then send them samples from the places you visit. Often they will be happy with good photography to judge what will sell. As you go, you will see that galleries in Asia will buy stuff made in Europe, galleries in Europe will sell stuff made in Australia, etc. Few countries restrict ethnic art exports either.

Sure, this takes some skill, some talent, some risk and some effort, but then again anything else does too.

b.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:03   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I have one other commentary, of a more general nature, that I thought might help someone.

Namely, I have noticed that in relatively rich countries (right now we are in Spain), people are more willing to buy goods than pay for work done. I think this may be specific (valid in some GDP tier only, in some area only or in some religion/culture only). I say this following a series of adventures doing odd jobs for well off people. I noticed they are extremely unwilling to pay 15 dollars an hour to someone working on their boat (e.g. replacing an in-mast radar cable) while the same people will spend hundreds buying food and gadgets in local stores. (Later I saw huge portions of this same food chucked overboard on a regular basis.)

Buying goods comes easy = Paying for jobs you cannot or are not willing to do does not come easy?

So perhaps the way to make decent profit while cruising is to sell hard rather than to work hard. At least in places like here.

Maybe the situation elsewhere is right the opposite (?).

b.
Old 01-12-2015, 14:23   #75

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfprimal View Post
I've given a fair amount of thought to this, as I'm a software engineer.

I keep coming back to the same 3 words...

MOBILE APP DEVELOPMENT
Sorry to throw water on the plan: Doesn't mean you shouldn't try, someone will win the lotto, just don't count your eggs.

From an O'Reilly news feed:
Mobile App Developers are Suffering — the top 20 app publishers, representing less than 0.005% of all apps, earn 60% of all app store revenue. The article posits causes of the particularly extreme power law.

To the OP:
  • Suggest you try before you buy, how do you know you'll be happy as a full time cruiser, the medical profession is perfect for taking a sabbatical, lots of jobs when you get back, try it for 6-12 months.
  • There is a burgeoning industry around telemedicine. You would need a good internet connection, whether it's video appointments, answering/filtering for docs emails, coaching chronic patient, filtering requests for prescription refills, etc. May need some training, but if you are in healthcare, you have the basics covered.

Tags
cruising, income

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: