Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2015, 08:24   #46

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Here's a problem I can't solve...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astokel View Post
AND THE WINNER IS...

Thank you everyone for your ideas. I have decided to go with this one:
So, how do you plan to get the original halyard, a boat hook, and several pieces of PVC out of your rigging?

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 12:41   #47

Splice or tape a new halyard at the mast base then with a fishing rod or long pole reach the existing halyard and pull in a new one then cut the old one best you can .cheers Jim NZ
james carbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 12:47   #48

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by james carbery View Post
Splice or tape a new halyard at the mast base then with a fishing rod or long pole reach the existing halyard and pull in a new one then cut the old one best you can .cheers Jim NZ
Once you get the new halyard or messenger connected to the end of the old one so it will pass through the sheaves, then you might be able to pull the old one down the shroud and retrieve it, instead of cut it. A problem will exist if the twist is above a spreader, but once you get an end of the old twisted one loose, you then have something to work with, even if you have to pass it over a spreader in the untwisting and retrieving motions. Then you can thread it back using the new halyard.
Old 23-10-2015, 17:16   #49

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Given the size of the boat, why not use a remaining halyard or two to pull the boat over on its side at a dock?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-10-2015, 17:21   #50

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Given the size of the boat, why not use a remaining halyard or two to pull the boat over on its side at a dock?

And looking at what I think is the brochure for the boat it has a raisable board. Should be a doddle to haul onto its side.

Old 23-10-2015, 23:14   #51

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
What's age got to do with anything? Robert Redford's almost eighty! You lost it, you go get it.
How about we encourage the guy for being out there sailing in his 70's, instead of sitting at home in a rocking chair.

I think the suggestion of a line over the halyard (by any of the suggested ways) and then hopefully sliding the whole lot down the backstay to unwrap at a safe height makes a lot of sense - good idea guys
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 06:26   #52

Boat: a sailing boat

Loosely tie a boat hook to the backstay: hook up, two loops on the stick so that the whole rig can slide along the backstay. Add a downhaul.

Now hoist such rigged hook wit your spinnaker halyard, along the backstay. Maneuvering with the downhaul catch the other line/shackle as you can.

Now pull the whole mess down to the deck.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 12:50   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by astokel View Post

In the morning it was wrapped around my back stay about 7 metres (20 feet) up. My marina charges $150 to take down a mast. Any ideas about how I can retrieve the shackle myself?

Nothing involving bosun's chairs please, I'm 70 and have issues with heights.
go to a rental shop & get a pruning hook. OR hire it done - still less than taking the mast down.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 13:27   #54

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Find a place like this. Lean boat toward wharf. Wait for tide.

God luck / Len
Old 24-10-2015, 15:20   #55

Boat: a sailing boat

It can be also fished with a fishing rod and a triplet fishing hook. Add a small plastic ball to cast more easily.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 17:08   #56

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
What's age got to do with anything? Robert Redford's almost eighty!
Flag On The Play: wasn't Robert Redford in a movie? Wasn't that boat with him up it's mast, actually in a sound stage, not at sea? Or was it really in the water, was that footage actually shot on an Ocean? I've not had an occasion to be up the mast myself, but I know the roof I used to climb to clean a chimney (about 40% pitch) with my only "safety device" being good sneaker, I know I'd not climb that pitch these several decades later. The fearlessness of youth has to be marveled at, IMHO.

OK, with all that said, do I understand that Mr. Redford is also a recreational sailor, like the rest of us, in addition to playing one in the movies? And to give credit, that movie ("All is Lost"), despite criticism, was thought provoking (IMHO again) and prompted discussion about various challenges that 'surfaced' in the movie, and how the beleaguered captain dealt with them. (or didn't do so, at least not correctly, as some criticisms have charged). Well, the movies purpose was to tell a story, so I'll give a pass on any inaccuracies. My only complaint was there was no internal monolog in the audio, non of his thinking was aloud. I would have liked to 'hear' what he was thinking at some points, something like "Oh, dang, I know I should have checked that bilge pump worked BEFORE I left the harbor, double dang" or maybe "I'll just bet this raft is made of fire proof materials, gotta be, right?"
I'm just saying ...

So too much blather (sorry), but I'm 1000+ miles from any navigable water and apparently suffering withdrawal.
softgoodsint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 21:24   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgoodsint View Post
Flag On The Play: wasn't Robert Redford in a movie? Wasn't that boat with him up it's mast, actually in a sound stage, not at sea? Or was it really in the water, was that footage actually shot on an Ocean? I've not had an occasion to be up the mast myself, but I know the roof I used to climb to clean a chimney (about 40% pitch) with my only "safety device" being good sneaker, I know I'd not climb that pitch these several decades later. The fearlessness of youth has to be marveled at, IMHO.

OK, with all that said, do I understand that Mr. Redford is also a recreational sailor, like the rest of us, in addition to playing one in the movies? And to give credit, that movie ("All is Lost&quot, despite criticism, was thought provoking (IMHO again) and prompted discussion about various challenges that 'surfaced' in the movie, and how the beleaguered captain dealt with them. (or didn't do so, at least not correctly, as some criticisms have charged). Well, the movies purpose was to tell a story, so I'll give a pass on any inaccuracies. My only complaint was there was no internal monolog in the audio, non of his thinking was aloud. I would have liked to 'hear' what he was thinking at some points, something like "Oh, dang, I know I should have checked that bilge pump worked BEFORE I left the harbor, double dang" or maybe "I'll just bet this raft is made of fire proof materials, gotta be, right?"
I'm just saying ...

So too much blather (sorry), but I'm 1000+ miles from any navigable water and apparently suffering withdrawal.
. . . and I spent today aloft, having a great time sending down sails and repairing damaged service, working on our ship along with the rest of the crew; many who are well past the OP's age. If you want the sound track, come on past and I'll yell down to you loud enough so everybody can hear.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 16:33   #58

Boat: Gemini 3200

I've got a fishing lure that sticks to everything it touches. Might be a little difficult getting the hooks out though.
rassabossa is offline   Reply With Quote