Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2011, 16:44   #1

Help me identify this light and how to open it!

I've got a ketch. Both masts have spreader lights. The main mast has Perko lights with sealed-beam bulbs. They have a metal retaining ring (with a small gap) - you remove the ring to release the bulb.

On the mizzen mast, I have some other kind of lights. They do not have a metal retaining ring with a gap - they appear to have a black plastic ring which does not have a gap, though it does show a small notch which does not go all the way through the ring. I can't get it out after 30 minutes of fiddling.

The mizzen lights also appear to have a small philips head scren in the back - I surmise this will release the bulb, but, I can't get a screwdriver on this screw because the spreader is too close, and so far, I have not been able to remove the screws securing the light to the spreader!

Either way, I don't have the right bulbs for this light and I think identifying the light, manufacturer and bulb would be a step in the right direction, and assuming this little screw is the only way to release the bulb, I must go back up and try again to remove the screws attaching the light to the spreader.

Does anyone know what kind of lights these are? They are NOT Perko or SeaDog, at least, not the ones they currently sell now - these were probably purchased in 1994 or 95 (based on the fact the previous owner reported replacing the mizzen mast in 1994 and the ones on the main I know I installed new in 2001 - hence they are not the same).

Thanks in advance.

Jordan.
S/V Queen Jane
queenjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 18:11   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Help me identify this light and how to open it!

I don't know if this correct but I think removing the light from the spreader is the first step. Then, removing the phillips head from the back of the light would release the bulb assembly. An angled screwdriver might do the trick.
kind regards,