Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-09-2014, 12:28   #31

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'
Re: Galley shapes, along side , 'L' or 'U'

"And there is a major increase in food, boiling water, etc. being thrown OFF the stove because it's not gimbeled on the roll axis of the boat. Not a great idea."

Not true. Have you actually spent time on a boat at sea with a transverse set up? Truth - acceleration that throws food increases the farther from the hull centerline you go. Rolling accelerations are lowest at the hull centerline, and increase as you move out from it.

Transverse mounted stoves require clamps to hold the pots in place. I've never seen one gimbaled, meaning that you need pots deep enough to contain the liquid when heeled. You will find the motion noticeably reduced.

Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 19:28   #32

Send a message via Yahoo to geneWj

Having lived aboard for 8 years before cruising for another 8. We have found a athwardships galley in a L shape with the short side against the bulkhead t be the cats meow. No gimbals necessary, spills if any; not towards the cook.

Go Sailing,Now!
geneWj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 20:44   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: [S]Hamble (Spring and Fall)[/S], Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Originally Posted by ReneJK View Post
. . .
Since its all a compromise, are there big tradeoff's regarding living space below deck in L/U vs. straight ? After all , passage making is approx 20% of total time and i am wondering if straight is more convenient at anchor ? Or does the same reasoning apply ?
A linear galley has only one real advantage -- it allows the galley space to be made in one half of the saloon volume, leaving all of the aft sections free for packing in more quarter berth sleeping cabins.

That is because at anchor, no less than at sea, and even in your home, you have considerations of a "work triangle" -- how efficiently can you pass things between sink, stove, and fridge?

The "U" shaped galley is the killer app for this, as many posters above have testified.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 22:54   #34

Boat: Catalina 470

--- First off, listen to your better half...."U"-shaped galleys are typically better for everything (except making extra room for more cabins/heads on a charter boat)!!

--- Yes, my current boat has a "U"-shaped galley (actually sort of a "G"-shaped galley), and I've sailed her >12,000 miles offshore in the past 10 years or so (including multiple Atlantic crossings, and other passages), AND made many a delicious meal in the galley, both when at sea in rough weather and in a calm anchorage (with no wind), and I love it!!
(but, I have cruised on other boats with straight galleys...horrible....and very difficult to use at sea....and years ago, I chartered boats w/ "L"-shaped galleys and found them just okay, not great, but average..)

Don't be dissuaded by any talk of "wasted space" in U-shaped galleys....not true...(well any boat can have "wasted space" if it's not designed properly...but that has nothing to do with the shape of the galley....)
Many find the corners to be useful for freezers and deep lockers....

Sorry about the pictures, they're all I have of the galley...
This is my galley...

And, this is the galley of a sistership to mine (exact same interior, just a professional photographer!)...

(and I have other photos, showing my frig/freezer and insulation, etc. in my article about frig/freezer insulation...see link below)

--- Please remember that while you may only be at sea / on passage a small amount of time you're on-board, the time that you are at sea / on passage is an important time to make sure that everyone on-board is safe, healthy, and happy....
And, while a galley that is safe and comfortable to cook in at sea is very important to the cooks/chefs, it is just as important to the whole crew....a well-fed crew, especially well-fed with tasty hot meals, is a happy and healthy crew, and one that can sleep, work, stand watches, etc. without issue/complaint...
So, a good "sea galley" (gimbaled stove/oven, U or G shaped)is an important safety feature for everyone on-board...

--- I hope you caught my brief reference to "calm" and "no wind", because there will be times at anchor, etc. that you will want a well-ventilated galley....just like at sea, where you want one "U" or "G"-shaped, with plenty of hand holds and a good gimbaled stove/ a warm, calm, windless anchorage, the chef will NOT be happy stuck in a cramped / ventless / dark cavern!!
So, in addition to making sure that the galley is safe and efficient to use at sea, make sure there is plenty of space, ventilation (I have one hatch overhead, exhaust-fan over stove, the companionway immediately adjacent to the galley) and light (I have 2 windows above, hatch overhead, hull port over stove, companionway, etc. as well as good plenty of good LED lights as well)....12vdc fans (I have 3) to circulate the air, AND an over-stove-hood with exhaust-fan (which I never knew I wanted, until I had one), are a godsend to any on-board chef!!

Originally Posted by ReneJK View Post
It looks like most of the comments and concerns are about safety during passage making , what about during stays in anchor places , behind hook ?

Since its all a compromise, are there big tradeoff's regarding living space below deck in L/U vs. straight ? After all , passage making is approx 20% of total time and i am wondering if straight is more convenient at anchor ? Or does the same reasoning apply ?

We're looking mostly at newish 40-45 ft french yachts and those mostly seem to have the straight galley
And, while I tend to agree with Stu, that what you need/desire for YOUR application, will be the determiner here...not our opinions....these basic rules should help:
a) make sure you are BOTH happy with the boat...
b) make sure you BOTH can cook/clean the galley when at sea and at anchor...
c) go with a "U"-shaped (or "G"-shaped) galley, unless there are a LOT of other reasons that force you otherwise...
d) make sure there is plenty of space, plenty of air/ventilation, plenty of fans, and plenty of light....

And, finally....
Make sure you add plenty of extra insulation to the refrigeration / freezer boxes, and read up a lot about keeping your frig cold in the hot temperate weather of summertime cruising AND the all-year-long tropics!!!
I cannot over-state this....those of you from the higher latitudes and colder waters, are typically over-whelmed by how poorly the fridges/freezers work the tropics....
Even sailors from Southern California that venture south to Mexico and/or the Caribbean, find the difference in performance to be staggering!!!

I hope this helps....

Fair winds...

s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 23:49   #35

Boat: 2004 Beneteau 473

Great points John (and everyone else) thank you !!

Will certainly take all of these with me in our decision making process

ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: