Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-08-2016, 18:46   #91

Re: Freezer Insulation of R-40 per inch or better

I say we open the metaphorical cold beer and have a cheers.

Old 31-08-2016, 19:03   #92
cruiser

Boat: Catalina 22 Capri

Third Day, don't get me wrong, I don't have a horse in this race and I don't have a problem with cold plate refrigeration in the appropriate application. It's great if you have excess energy, say from solar during the day, to chill the cold plates and then use that stored energy at night when solar is not available. That's where it could potentially shine. You could also store that same energy in a battery and run an evaporator refrigeration system. Batteries are inefficient to charge all the way full but if you don't they don't last long. Then we have lithium batteries. They are light and charge efficiently but are costly especially when considering the charge system needed for them. So there are a lot of variables in the refrigeration conundrum. I myself just use a Coleman Extreme icebox that has two inches of insulation. It holds ice for six 95 degree days and only cost $60.00.

Old 31-08-2016, 19:23   #93

How much aerogel can I get for 60 bucks? Man I still can not find the sarcasm button. Does anyone know where that is at?
Old 31-08-2016, 20:54   #94
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to SV THIRD DAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Third Day, don't get me wrong, I don't have a horse in this race and I don't have a problem with cold plate refrigeration in the appropriate application. It's great if you have excess energy, say from solar during the day, to chill the cold plates and then use that stored energy at night when solar is not available. That's where it could potentially shine. You could also store that same energy in a battery and run an evaporator refrigeration system. Batteries are inefficient to charge all the way full but if you don't they don't last long. Then we have lithium batteries. They are light and charge efficiently but are costly especially when considering the charge system needed for them. So there are a lot of variables in the refrigeration conundrum. I myself just use a Coleman Extreme icebox that has two inches of insulation. It holds ice for six 95 degree days and only cost $60.00.
I follow you amigo...but I'm just not sure why you keep bringing holding plates into the discussion we are having about R-value and how it affects power usage. That that was my frustration with the BS comment. I intentionally try to keep discussions about my products (water makers or refrigeration) out of threads where it doesn't belong. But it's like it irks you to know I make holding plate systems and you just have to get your digs in, like you did twice for no reason of value in this thread other than (frankly) to try and get a rise out of me and just be an ass. Now from one ass to another, that's said with love.

Hey...I don't care if you hate holding plate systems and think they can't be a real freezer, hey El Trumpo or HiLiary haven't been elected yet and made it illegal to have different opinions. So why BS and digs? I present data, you present your opinions and we move along. But when you call me a Liar and then say I'm being Rude for responding in kind...now that's not how the playground works. You kick sand in my face, it gets kicked back.

I couldn't give a rats ass about marketing 101 and how I shouldn't be talking shop on a chat room because it's to risky for me. I'm a cruiser first, Retired and if I don't sell another water maker or refrigeration system again all that happens to me is that the money I donate to charity goes down a bit. But it doesn't affect me. That is also the type of person you want to do business with because in another thread when people were asking where to by a Danfoss controller and if I sold them, I gave them a link to an online retailer that sells them for cheaper than I can even buy them for! It's not about the money to me...which means Customer Service and having Fun is why I do what I do. Plus I'm a type A personality and failed at retirement at 38...so this beats having a real job to stay busy and lets me "act" like I'm working while really just messing around rebuilding my Teak Barge.

LiFePO4 batteries are a game changer for sure.
I installed my 400AH bank over two years ago now and would never go back to lead, so on that we are in complete agreement.

Wife home now...better get off the chat rooms and act busy...later Amigo.

Oh and what's inside a high priced cooler Yeti Cooler...yep you guessed it...our Good Friend Polyurethane Foam! I just had to know...so we cut one in half...back to that scientist thing again...Imagine if they used Aerogel!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:13   #95

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

I just read through the last 4 pages and I don't think I learned anything...
Could someone tell me a good source where to get that polyiso stuff please?
Cheers
Old 01-09-2016, 08:17   #96
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to SV THIRD DAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
I just read through the last 4 pages and I don't think I learned anything...
Could someone tell me a good source where to get that polyiso stuff please?
Cheers
Oh you learned a lot...just none of it you wanted to know...ha ha ha..
But here you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
From an R-value, bang for your Buck, and ease of install here is what I would recommend:

1. Polyisocyanurate (R-Max) 4ft x 8ft 1" thick boards from Home Depot
Thermasheath Rmax Thermasheath-3 1 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-6 Polyisocyanurate Rigid Foam Insulation Board-787264 - The Home Depot

2. Foil tape to act as a nice vapor barrier over the cut panel pieces of PolyIso
Nashua Tape 1.89 in. x 50 yd. 322 Multi-Purpose HVAC Foil Tape-1207792 - The Home Depot

3. Fiberglass wall board cut to fit as a nice clean new liner for your Box
Decorative Paneling - Paneling - ¬*The Home Depot

4. 3M 77 Contact adhesive to attach all the puzzle pieces together
Search Results for¬*3 m. super 77¬*at The Home Depot

Then for the seams, you can get fancy with epoxy or easy with 3M 4200.

It sounds like a pretty difficult project, but only if you make it one.

The ideal would be to make the box between an R20 and R30 thickness, and the PolyIso is 6.5 per inch.

Good luck amigo...
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:21   #97

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Hehe, I think you are correct, thanks Rich.
Old 03-09-2016, 13:31   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Wife home now...better get off the chat rooms and act busy...later Amigo.
You should buy your-self a big tall dog.
Old 20-09-2016, 12:10   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Unless you want "Engineering" to be a close second (weak spot) rethink your hatch plan and 1/8" gasket.
I'm open to Hatch Engineering suggestions, Terra Nova.
Got any?

Tags
freezer, insulation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: