Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2012, 12:37   #1

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat
First AND last voyage

I'm sorry if this story has already been posted but I saw the story and it put a lump in my throat. Thought I'd share it as it puts a lot into perspective. Godspeed to this man and his family.

Cancer-Stricken Delta Man Planning Risky Solo Sailing Trip To Panama « CBS Sacramento
Old 24-09-2012, 09:51   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: First AND last voyage

Thanx for posting that. A friend of mine who is on the forum, RandyonR3, met him and helped him out by temporarily donating his canvas shop to him so he could sew up some items for his boat. I wish him fair winds. A tough place to be for sure.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 22:18   #3

Really people? Geez I was hoping there would be a CF community outpouring of at least some good advice for a guy who has never sailed and maybe even a "best of luck" to him. Over 200 views and 1 reply? Wow. I've never found the CF to be short on words-good, bad, or indifferent. Why now with such a compelling REAL LIFE/DEATH story? Maybe I am totally off base and people are sending him words of support directly to his email as I have done and will continue to do until he shoves off in 14 days.
Old 24-09-2012, 22:57   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I think in regards to the person with cancer, he is just doing his thing. He has humility and a strong sense of direction. I think at this point he is probably tired of other peoples input. I certainly was after my health calamity.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:21   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

bucket list respect to him...may he fly nicely and sail smoothly

after all, what are his options--die or die--at least BE HAPPY and do what you dreamed of all your life. has any one of you guys had an unfulfilled dream.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 16:46   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

This guy can see what so many people never see: that the time is now.

Godspeed!
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 17:02   #7

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Way to go Jefrey, the best of luck on your voyage.
I would do exactly the same thing.
Godspeed man - go for it.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 15:29   #8

Any update on this?
Old 06-12-2012, 14:59   #9

UPDATE: Just got an email from Jeff. He is in Punta Perula heading to Bahia Navidad. He did not report on how he's doing physically! Go man go!
Old 06-12-2012, 15:11   #10
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
Really people? Geez I was hoping there would be a CF community outpouring of at least some good advice for a guy who has never sailed and maybe even a "best of luck" to him. Over 200 views and 1 reply? Wow. I've never found the CF to be short on words-good, bad, or indifferent. Why now with such a compelling REAL LIFE/DEATH story? Maybe I am totally off base and people are sending him words of support directly to his email as I have done and will continue to do until he shoves off in 14 days.
Don't take it personally. We have members amongst us who are sailing with cancer, we have members who have passed because of cancer. Other diseases and illnesses too. We support each other, we do what we can to help, and we make the most of life.

One of the things I love most about CF is the supportive 'life life to the full', 'cast off the dock-lines', 'do the things you'll regret dong' spirit that pervades the pages.

So, good luck to him. Kudos for doing what he wants to do. And send him an email letting him know that if he'd like to share his experiences with us, and perhaps pick up some useful tips, we will welcome him into the fold with open arms!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 16:58   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

We had a guy come into the yard who had sailed an eight foot dinghy up the West Coast from San Diego while filling his bucket list due to a tumor. A storm trashed his dinghy so bad that he barely made it ashore. We fixed and improved it and bid him farewell. No charge of course. Just paying it foreward....
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 19:02   #12

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
I am an amputee from a train accident as a child. I have a chronic weight problem. I was fatherless from day one, and later in life, my father in law never accepted me, not wishing me on his property. I am so tall I hit my head on doorways, so large, cannot buy socks or shoes in clothing stores. Gloves? Forget it. Married thirty years to a woman with little affection, who cannot boil water without burning it. I am childless, work 120 hour work weeks, from businesses I scratched out on my own with three limbs and a stump, last vacation was in 2005. Sponsored two children from kindergarten thru college, not one postcard after graduation. Have a huge growth under muscle on my right shoulder, have few friends, and enemies. Hips are giving out, knees hurt, eyes failing me, hair turning grey, impotent, hard of hearing, and my skin is itchy and dry. O, and my teeth hurt. Did I mention warts?

Anyone want to sponcer my giving up, and sailing off into the sunset?

I emailed that guy, and gave him alternative health care options that are extending lives by decade's, all over the world. Simple treatments that work. You can lead a horse to water........never heard a word back.

It all boils down to who ties their own shoes, and who waits for others to do it for them.

He will be ok, because in the end, we all get to the same place at the same time, with the same empty pockets.
Old 06-12-2012, 19:58   #13

Boat: Tayana 37

Way to go Jeff. I hope I have your balls when the time comes.
Old 06-12-2012, 20:10   #14

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

God go with you Jeff, Bluefuss said it best,,,Ditto for me!!

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 20:29   #15

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I guess it all comes down to Where ya want to die! I for one wish to die at sea. Altho I have been granted good health all my life, I have had many injurys that make sailing hurtful, It's still better then sitting in front of a tv and waiting for the end to come !! All good wishs to ya Jeff go for it fella ! Ive met a few sailors over the years with terminal sickness of different types, some of them with the change in lifestyle to cruising, have extended there lives by bunchs of years!! Cruising is good for ya !! I hope I go in a fairly good storm with a smile on my face not at home with a frown on it !! We will be thinking of ya and smiling when we do!!