Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2013, 10:57   #16

Re: Does Yahoo mail suck?

I used Yahoo for 12 years but recently my Yahoo accounts were being hijacked by people in Colombia. The hijacker got in by joining a Yahoo group I was a member of and when I logged in they somehow got access to my account.

I switched everything to Gmail and closed the Yahoo accounts. The Gmail accounts use less Javascript so they appear to be less prone to security issues and they also put a lighter load on the PC being used to access the mail. My processor fan used to go into overdrive when I accessed Yahoo, now it is much better (and before anyone asks, my PC - whilst not the latest model - is more than adequate.)

I will not go back to Yahoo
beverley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 11:25   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by maersi View Post
One option for those who feel locked into Yahoo, is to set up mail forwarding from Advanced Options. Just enter another email address (gmail, hotmail etc. whichever works best) Yahoo will forward the email to the new address, and can mark it as read in the Yahoo inbox.

That way all your existing contacts can use your old yahoo address, but you access the mail through an alternative (faster) service. You may have to log in to yahoo to send email from that address, but some services allow you to specify the "from" email address (at least they used to, not tried that for years)
That is what I do. All my yahoo mail stuff from two email addresses is automatically forwarded to my g mail address and I have set up gmail in it's options so I can reply using it as if coming from the yahoo address if I want to. gmail is what is on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 cellphone so it is useful to do it the way I do and be able to read/reply directly from that if I wish .

Gmail is faster for me Explorer 10 on Windows 8 (now that really sucks) and I often get new emails sooner on the gmail address than from yahoo.

What really pees me off with yahoo is it keeps asking me to log in again and then says it doesn't recognize the username/password etc which I have reset so many times now I have run out of ideas for a new PW as they don't let you use one used before.

emails are a real problem since most of us end up with so many things that are accessed via the email address as a username, important things too usually like for online banking etc
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 00:21   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awpptdt View Post
In my opinion Yahoo mail sucks, I have great difficulty logging on and using yahoo mail. Extremely slow or mostly non-responsive. Yet during these (dailey) issues I can log onto any other site with no problems then go back to Yahoo and still have the problem. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?
Back in the day, I had rocketmail. It was easy and wonderful. Then the Borg (Yahoo) assimilated it. Resistance was futile, so I went with it. the problem I had is they could never stop "improving" it. It drove me nuts. I found gmail much better. The only gripe I have with gmail (and it's a pain) is when I put an email in a folder, because it contains information I may need later, if the original sender uses that thread to attach another message and I delete it from my inbox, it's gone from the other folder as well.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 08:56   #19

Re: Does Yahoo Mail Suck?

The thing that has me ready to dump a 12 year old account is that there seems to be nothing I can do to stop the spam from increasing on a daily basis. Most of them don't even make sense.

What makes the people who send this stuff think anyone would answer these, much less send any money?
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 09:05   #20

I've used Yahoo for about 13 years. I liked it pretty well. However, they recently forced everyone to abandon Yahoo Classic. The new Yahoo sucks. It's a little slower, but not too bad for me. But I dont understand the logic of some of their changes. For instance, you can still have groups of people that you might send email to. You give each of these a name. In the old Yahoo you simply cliked on that group and it went into your email message. Now you clik on that group and guess what? You have to then select every name in that gruop to send to! What's the point of even having the group? There are a few idiotic things like this. I'm searching for where to go with my email account. I have Gmail but dont use it due to their invasions of privacy issues.... About half the time when I compose a message, the "send" is obscured and cant be cliked on. The I save the message and later on pull it up and I can send... I just dont get why these guys always think they need to improve something that works fine! Ditto for Microsoft and their computer software. Win 98 was the best one they ever made..... then they started trying to make the computer think for you......

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 12:20   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i actually prefer google chrome at this point--is easy to use and faster than bandwidth sukking firef*x, and doesnt shut down my puter as does internet destroyer. google chrome with linux doesnt attract hackers and virus senders, i keep my yahoo account because my mom and leaky teaky are on that, and i use gmail for my own emails.
i willnot use firefox nor ie again.

on this puter i use in boat, based on windows and moicrosoft---i have excellent antivirus program, and in my linux with chrome chromebook--i dont need antivirus programs..i love it.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 14:51   #22

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

[QUOTE=Cheechako;1312831]I've used Yahoo for about 13 years. I liked it pretty well. However, they recently forced everyone to abandon Yahoo Classic. The new Yahoo sucks. QUOTE]
Yes...I had almost forgotten...This is the reason I dumped them.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 16:54   #23

So where do you go when you dump a free email account ?

Another free, or a paid email account ?

I haven't been overly happy with yahoo either, but not because of download, or upload times. Like others here I want classic back.

I am kind of glad I postponed going with a paid email.
And it hasn't made much sense to trade one free with problems
for another free with just different problems.

I just got a notice from my old university that my alum email account is on the way. Goodbye Spam !

A word about modern day email spam. Much of it is now much more user specific !
Advertisers want more targeted users. Mention a keyword in a most if not
all free email accounts, and you probably get spam on that keyword. I never used to get spam for the glasses I wear, my Type II, the brand of vehicle I drive, etc. The past year or so hardly a day goes by that I don't get personalized spam.

How those good folks in those fantastic Nigerian banks knew I needed
some more cash I guess I will never know. But just by giving them my SS#,
and bank account numbers I am now rich...in laughs over some of the trails I have sent the dumb bastages on...lol...
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 10:56   #24

I dont know... I've had the paid Yahoo upgrade for years... it may be a scam. (is mine any better than anyone elses?) I bet it'll be a nightmare stopping them from charging that once a year fee!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 11:13   #25

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Get your own domain name and you get as many email accounts as you like, plus you can make your own website, and/or have space for online storage (you own 'cloud' but secure!)
I think it's worth the cost of a domain name (mine is $8.75/yr = almost nothing) just for the email alone. I used Yahoo for a few years with the occasional disabled account problem (not logging in often enough). Had relatives whose accounts were permanently disabled (I'm not sure whether a reason was ever given for it, or not).

If the browser based email is too slow, then one can set up a regular email client and use SMTP/POP / IMAP email easily enough. Dedicated client email mechanism is blisteringly fast, relatively speaking ...

If using dedicated email clients, just make sure to enable encryption in the client. Sometimes, it's not enabled by default.
Old 16-08-2013, 11:15   #26

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Hotmail forced everyone to switch to Outlook! Boy, that created quite a learning curve to conquer!
I'm on the computer all over the place, leaving the computer on all day, and have the email account set up to only put items in my inbox that are on my contact list. Less than a dozen items will be in my junk folder a day, Two clicks and their gone.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 11:22   #27

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
However, they recently forced everyone to abandon Yahoo Classic.
I thought Yahoo was good but this got me too. They finally forced me on the "new" version about a month ago. I don't like it. It hangs up and have to refresh the page too often to check a few folders. I've had it for so long, I don't think I'll be switching it anytime soon. I've had it for such a long time because I move around a lot and it's the one thing that's been the most stable for me.

Oh well, I'll just go with it for now.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 11:40   #28

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i actually prefer google chrome at this point--is easy to use and faster than bandwidth sukking firef*x, and doesnt shut down my puter as does internet destroyer. google chrome with linux doesnt attract hackers and virus senders, i keep my yahoo account because my mom and leaky teaky are on that, and i use gmail for my own emails.
i willnot use firefox nor ie again.

on this puter i use in boat, based on windows and moicrosoft---i have excellent antivirus program, and in my linux with chrome chromebook--i dont need antivirus programs..i love it.....
I use Chromium (Open source ~Chrome) on a Unix look-alike (BSD). Yeah - it's much faster than anything else I've used. One thing though - if you look at the "settings" tab, you'll see the privacy defaults are pretty much wide open. I always go and check them before using Chrome/Chromium. Another nice thing going on with Chromium is that it's equiped with an HTML5 / WEBM movie viewer (built in).