Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2013, 23:54   #1

Boat: 1984 Hunter 31
Dockmaster is making me move to a less desirable slip

I live on my boat at the marina where I work. The property manager has decided that I need to move my boat closer to the bar and stage that I already find to be too loud. I suppose it is time to find a new marina again. It will be my third one in a year. I am not looking forward to leaving here because it is in a nice area that I like. I suppose I just need suggestions for recourse.
Old 18-10-2013, 23:56   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Dockmaster is making me move to a less desirable slip

If you tell him that if he does move you, then you will leave the marina, what do you feel would be his reaction?

Coops.
Old 19-10-2013, 00:06   #3

The slip is comped as part of my pay, that he agreed to mind you. It seems as though he thinks I am being paid too much now because of this. He has moved a commercial company into the marina and is trying to keep their two boats together. In doing this he is displacing myself and my neighbor "who still pays" and is also an employee here. I honestly think he wishes he hadn't comped my slip and is taking advantage or is trying to get me to move from the marina altogether.
Old 19-10-2013, 00:09   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Well, doesn't he sound like a charming little somethingwit?

Coops.
Old 19-10-2013, 00:11   #5

I suppose I'll just suck it up and find a new marina. I can't have my kids living that close to a bar.
Old 19-10-2013, 00:32   #6

Guess that's the problem with having your berth as part of your remuneration. If you were a paying customer you could just tell him to go jump.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 03:55   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Unless you have a lease or some sort of signed agreement for your current slip you have no legal recourse. Only option is to discuss with the dockmaster.

If you are considering a move and will have to pay anyway then maybe offer to pay to stay if you can keep a better slip. Maybe offer to pay half rate as a compromise.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 04:21   #8

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

I would be looking for another marina or request that, because of your kids, he move you to a more acceptable slip. Next time make sure that you negotiate and get in writing what your slip rights will be.
Many marinas have clauses in their contracts, even for paying customers, their right to move your slip at their choice.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 08:13   #9

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
If you tell him that if he does move you, then you will leave the marina, what do you feel would be his reaction?

Coops.
Not to mention naming him and the marina here, on Facebook and on Twitter.

It's not blackmail, it's Consumer Reports.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 08:14   #10

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

This is a standard practice that employees of marinas who receive a fee slip as part of their compensation package. Most are moved around at the marinas convenience and normally you don't get the best slips. Examples are, moving you to a smaller or larger slip to accommodate a new berther or placing you next to undesirable areas like loud restaurants and bars.

Lesson learned.... Next time you accept employment, with a slip as part of your compensation, make sure you have something in writing that you will not be moved around.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 08:22   #11

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

What they all said except ........ there's a lot of assumptions and guesswork going on here. Instead of asking faceless internet connections for advice why not go sit down with the marina manager. If he likes whiskey, take some along - if not, go at his coffee time and take doughnuts. Oftentimes when we assume something about someone it will turn out that the someone is assuming something else about us and the facts of the matter may bear no relation whatsoever to what each of us is assuming. What have you got to lose - the cost of a bottle of whiskey or a bag of doughnuts?
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 08:34   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
What they all said except ........ there's a lot of assumptions and guesswork going on here. Instead of asking faceless internet connections for advice why not go sit down with the marina manager. If he likes whiskey, take some along - if not, go at his coffee time and take doughnuts. Oftentimes when we assume something about someone it will turn out that the someone is assuming something else about us and the facts of the matter may bear no relation whatsoever to what each of us is assuming. What have you got to lose - the cost of a bottle of whiskey or a bag of doughnuts?
^^ What he says, because it is a situation in which the best power you have is whatever charm you can bring to the situation. Try to stay away from the protecting your kids from the bar issue: anything that diminishes the quality of the area will be a tender subject; besides the bar may bring in needed revenue. Perhaps there is another berth further from the bar, and the amenities that could work for you. You remember the old saw, "you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar?" Before you talk to the harbormaster, think of how doing what you want will benefit him maybe getting you placed further from the office will work for him, too?

There's also the possibility of moving to a larger berth and paying the difference, it you're okay behind going there.

Good luck.

Ann
Old 19-10-2013, 11:10   #13

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Cakes,
The marina is in business to make money. Most marinas charge commercial slipholders a higher price than regular slipholders since they are running a business from the marina (fishing?). The fact that they are moving you is unfortunate but may be a necessity to keep their new customers happy. If you were a paying slipholder, you would have some leverage but as a non-paying slipholder(even though it is included in your employment) there is little you can do. They are fulfilling their end of the agreement by providing you a slip and probably never promised you a particular slip, forever, as part of your employment. Life is never perfect and employment today is tough. Your options are limited: accept the new slip or move. It will be a lesson for future opportunities. Good luck.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 12:29   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

Marina bars are such a pain. Where we are, they tend to start music at midnight and the later it gets, the louder they play it. I am a hater now.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 12:55   #15

I think when you get a free slip that's liable to happen....you're an employee getting a benefit, the customer comes first.... what .....you're gonna go pay for a slip elsewhere and drive to work because your having to move...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote