Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-06-2016, 21:10   #1

Boat: Traditional 30
Do it now? YES!

If you're thinking about packing up and sailing off, DO IT.

Last week I was diagnosed with Lymphoma. C'est la vie. Without going into finer details, things arent looking fantastic for this 52 year old. I certainly wont be going anywhere at this stage.

I have planned cruising all my life and finally reached a point where I could. Even bought the boat. I was going to spend some time cruising on another boat first then come back and take off on my own.

I have sailed all my life and it was always my goal to sell up and cruise. I was even an inshore instructor for a while. But mundane life always got in the way of turning it into a lifestyle and seeing the world.

I am not looking for sympathy here. Rather, hopefully, I inspire someone to get their ass off that chair and get out there and stop putting it off. So stop making excuses (I did). You dont need the biggest boat. You dont need the latest electronics. Do it smaller and cheaper if you have to. But DO IT.

In the mean time, I will continue cruising vicariously though here and the good folks on youtube.

My final advice.. never pee into the wind lol (I need humor right now)

Thanks

ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 21:24   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Do it now? YES!

Mate that happened to me. Diagnosed with NH lymphoma in October and finished chemo mid April. Not entirely out of the woods yet, but news is good so far. Because most lymphomas are so aggressive, they respond well to treatment. So keep your chin up buddy.

And your advice is good. In our case, business shutdown, house rented and currently 7 days a week most weeks working on the boat to get her back in the water so we can PODQ!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 10-06-2016, 21:29   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ozskipper,

So sorry to hear your news. Even if you need to stay near land services, might you not at least be able to daysail?

Good luck with your treatment. Luck and hope both help a lot.

A somewhat similar circumstance a long time ago moved Jim to "DO IT NOW!", and I hope there are those who heed your post.

Thank you very much for this post.

Ann
Old 10-06-2016, 21:36   #4

Boat: 45ft Ketch

What a shock!
Yes take the full medical treatment but stuff yourself full of vitamins to counter the effect of treatment on your immune system. Anti-stress Formula taken with protein has had good results for us when the body was at war.
A prayer & best wishes for you Oz.
Old 10-06-2016, 21:41   #5

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Mate that happened to me. Diagnosed with NH lymphoma in October and finished chemo mid April. Not entirely out of the woods yet, but news is good so far. Because most lymphomas are so aggressive, they respond well to treatment. So keep your chin up buddy.

And your advice is good. In our case, business shutdown, house rented and currently 7 days a week most weeks working on the boat to get her back in the water so we can PODQ!

Thanks for that. They are guessing NHL with me (just not sure which one).

Yeh.. I had just shut down most of the business, I had the tenant, who moves in in 5 days (lease signed uug). Emptied the house (mostly).

Now, that I am stuck here, I will at least get more time to work/play/fiddle/potter on the boat. Great point!
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 21:46   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hey OZ, thanks for the post. I really appreciate your openness and clarity. I sure hope you can kick this. As they say, it ain't over till the Fat Lady Sings. Keep fighting'!

Perhaps it helps to have a real brush with the afterlife. I was privileged(?) to have mine quite early. It has certainly shaped my choices since then. But yes. Absolutely. Love your message. It's one my partner and I have embraced. Even at our middle-age there are too many of us dropping off -- too many who have left things too long. We've decided to go now, just as you advise.

Hope to see you out there someday .
Old 10-06-2016, 22:14   #7

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Thanks for that. They are guessing NHL with me (just not sure which one).

Yeh.. I had just shut down most of the business, I had the tenant, who moves in in 5 days (lease signed uug). Emptied the house (mostly).

Now, that I am stuck here, I will at least get more time to work/play/fiddle/potter on the boat. Great point!
Chemo will knock the beejeesus out of you physically and mentally so just accept that part and use it as an excuse to catch up on favourite tv shows (or make a pest of yourself on cf - worked for me, lol) Doesn't take too long to ease back into it once that bit's done and dusted but priority #1 is to take care of yourself.

Old 10-06-2016, 22:56   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

You have a bunch of folks here rooting for you, and will be checking to hear how things are going. I've always thought a boat is the best low-stress, high health, thing to recuperate on. Wish you the best!
Oh btw thanks for that advice, now I understand what I've been doing wrong!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 23:06   #9

Boat: wharram tiki 26

You poor bastard. I am sorry for your troubles mate.Yes,there is no guarantee of 3 score and 10. Be gentle on yourself.
Old 10-06-2016, 23:22   #10

YES! Got the message, bro! You take care.
Old 11-06-2016, 00:51   #11

Oz, I'm very sorry to hear the news but hope for the best for you. I know it's a bit of a shock. Kind of stuns you, really.

My 2 cents of advice (if I may be so bold!) for you is to use any supports you can, even if you think you might not need it, whether it's internet based or local. There are lots of groups around with folks who understand what you're going through when most other people can't. And take your naps when you need 'em.

I guess the good news is that your boat will soon be shipshaper than she's ever been. I hope you see some blue skies soon.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:31   #12

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran

Sorry to hear this bad news. Hope all goes well. Just shows that we all need to do things that we have on our "bucket list" as soon as you can rather than put them off till later.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:05   #13

Boat: Catalina 470

Good luck, , hoping this is just a speed hump for you ,and thanks for the encouragement to make the most of our time, its easy not to.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-06-2016, 06:13   #14

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Ozskipper, I am sorry to hear your news.
I have a freind who is 87. She also has NHL. She has been going strong for 10 years now and far surpassed her doctors prognosis. I mention that because I dont think you should give up your plans just yet. Postpostpone perhaps but dont give them up just yet. There is a whole lot of living ahead for you.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:57   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Ozskipper, thank you for the post. Its message is something we should all think about. I hope you can beat this and continue your journey.

Every day is a gift. There are no guarantees of tomorrow. See the beauty every day.

S/V B'Shert

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: