Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2016, 18:24   #31

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Do it now? YES!

Thanks to all those who have responded so positively. It particularly nice to see that motivation I have managed to stir up. Its wonderful.

For those of you, who shared, and still have the Big C in your lives, I hope your future involves the Big Sea instead

Excuse me if I dont respond to every post. But I promise I have read this thread three times already and heeded your words and advice.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 18:38   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ozskipper,

We all understand you have a lot on your plate right now, and that you will be involving yourself in a process during which you will not feel at your best. Just come back when you feel like it, some of us will keep an eye out for the thread, and answer when you feel like saying something.

It's very clear, you are having a lot of well wishers from all over the world, how cool is that!

Ann
Old 11-06-2016, 18:42   #33

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreef View Post
OZ Hi sorry to hear about your health problem.I have been reading up a lot on cancer as a matter of interest over the last five years on a site hosted by DR Mercola (just google and sign up for his daily health news report) and the big factor in cancer survival in your body is the use of sugar by cancer cells to survive and grow.Without it they cannot survive and die.Sugar is in so many of our foodstuffs today so it is not only ingested by taking in sugar in granulated form.Ask your oncologist about it and see if he is informed about this as the science is fairly new on this particular aspect of cancer and it's progression .Also leafy green vegetables of organic origin also very important.You do not want to be putting chemicals like glyphosate into your body via GMO products.DOWN WITH MONSANTO!!!!!
Take care and get well.Kind regards,David.
I have a couple of friends that are also dealing with cancer, which has sparked my interest a bit more in the subject. I am certainly no authority in any way on cancer treatments, but I have also noticed quite abit of literature regarding the role sugar plays in cancer cell growth. Dr Thomas Seyfried seems to be an authority regarding a Ketogenic approach to cancer with many years of research, he believes cancer is a metabolic disease rather than the traditional view that is held.
I know everyone tries to offer advice in regards to treatment which can get annoying, but if just one well intentioned comment or opinion helps then they were all worth it.
Cheers Dale.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 18:53   #34

Thanks for the 'JFDI' post.

Another way to think about it....

A friend of mine with Motor Neurone Disease greeted me with the usual ' How're you getting on ?
I replied ' I'm fine, but more to the point, how are you'?

Back came the rejoinder

'I'm dying. So are you. But you don't know when'!

If ever there was a spur to get off my butt and 'Just Fekn Do It', that was it!

Hope you enjoy your time sorting out the boat and you get to take off soon and fulfill your dreams.

Awrabest!
Fearless Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 19:44   #35

Boat: Currently in between

A little off the "Big C" angle but relevant just the same: My dad and I spent 5 years of holding mom's (his wife's) hand as she spiraled deeper into the long, dark sleep of Old Timer's disease (Alzheimers).

I'll never forgot dad looking at me one day as he said "So much money in the bank, we were always saving in case of a what if. Now she's gone. Why the hell didn't we do more? Why didn't we travel, why didn't we take more cruises? Why?" The money means nothing to him now and regrets their combined decision to save, save and save some more.

I learned from that and we started planning. Final stages of a remodel and the house goes on the market. Down-sizing started many months ago and great progress is being made. A boat has been found and we just have to move the house before we can get the boat we want. If it is gone, we WILL find another one!

Oz, thanks for helping keep my fire lit and nothing the best of luck and wishes coming at you from this corner. Stay positive and keep your focus on your goal, it helps you keep that positive mind set!
Old 11-06-2016, 21:59   #36

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42

A friend of mine also had lymphoma ... about 20 years ago.. Post treatment, she got another surprise....another child... off to college now. She Also is doing well...
But she chose to no longer work (Professional with 2 incomes....each in 6 figures..

Definitely highlights what is important....

And nothing wrong with saving, but certainly need to enjoy life... (As I sit in Miami Airport with my son, waiting to depart on "a trip of a lifetime"

Good luck on your treatment
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 23:21   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Thanks to all those who have responded so positively. It particularly nice to see that motivation I have managed to stir up. Its wonderful.

For those of you, who shared, and still have the Big C in your lives, I hope your future involves the Big Sea instead

Excuse me if I dont respond to every post. But I promise I have read this thread three times already and heeded your words and advice.
Ah, but ya still have to tell us if you like asparagus or not!

All the best from here.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:13   #38

Boat: Pearson 34-II

My sincerest wishes for a complete recovery. Carpe Diem--Seize the day! Best, Rognvald
rognvald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:22   #39

Boat: Flicka 21 feet 9 inches sailboat

Oz, mate, sorry to read about your news. Never give up hope,we are rooting for you over here and we pray that your dreams will come true. All the best Oz.
Oz-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:36   #40

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

You'll find your own path...I found mine after 2 myocardial infarction's. That's why I won't being saying that I'm sorry for you. Rather encourage you that this is an opportunity to make chicken liver out of chicken ****. I'm in a place now where I have retired on a meager means with everything in my life paid off. My little ship in Mexico and only life in front of me.
When the Dr's said that I have advanced heart disease and heart damage from the MCI's, I remember the saying..."you get busy living or you get busy dying". My entire lifestyle has changed. This includes diet, the way I think, what I want to attract in my life and so on. I encourage you to live your dream.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 16:20   #41

Boat: Pearson 34-2

Thank you very much for posting. We wish you the best. My wife and I are planning our escape, but maybe we need to hasten the process. We bought a Tartan 27 as our practice boat, which we are learning and enjoying, then move up at some point. After reading your post, I really do need to get things moving along. Again, best luck, hope to see you "out there".
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 17:25   #42

Boat: Top Hat (Mark III) 25 feet

Thank you for sharing the message, Oz. I need to remember that none of us knows how much time we have left, or how the future will unfold.
I need a "Carpe Deum" tee-shirt might help me to remember to grab opportunities whenever they show themselves, as your sad posting has done. A wake-up call...
I do hope your treatment is effective and grants you more time to enjoy the beauty around us all.
PommyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 17:45   #43

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
You'll find your own path...I found mine after 2 myocardial infarction's. That's why I won't being saying that I'm sorry for you. Rather encourage you that this is an opportunity to make chicken liver out of chicken ****. I'm in a place now where I have retired on a meager means with everything in my life paid off. My little ship in Mexico and only life in front of me.
When the Dr's said that I have advanced heart disease and heart damage from the MCI's, I remember the saying..."you get busy living or you get busy dying". My entire lifestyle has changed. This includes diet, the way I think, what I want to attract in my life and so on. I encourage you to live your dream.
Really cool and inspirational, thanks for this post.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 20:14   #44

Boat: never mind...

I'm 53 and beginning to feel age's aches and pains. I have a high schooler with a year left and am seriously considering taking off when he's done. Hang in there ozskipper and keep us updated on your journey.
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 21:52   #45

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Friend View Post
Thanks for the 'JFDI' post.

Another way to think about it....

<Snip>

'I'm dying. So are you. But you don't know when'!

<Snip>
Awrabest!
I love your friends sense of humour
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote