Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2015, 14:00   #1

Boat: Invicta 26
Design an asimmetric

My boat is a long keel with medium/heavy displacement, very narrow; and when there is low wind the cruising genoa does not want to work. So I'm thinking of a gennacher / asymmetric in light nylon , usable with 3-12 knots of wind and for 65-135 degrees (at least I'd like to).
To make things more fun I would also design and built it myself ...
I'm trying to use the free software sailcut (the only one that I could find) but I'm not quite sure about the characteristics that must have an asymmetrical to be used as i would.

Is there someone who know what should be the characteristics of an asymmetric like this?
There is someone who used sailcut to draw an asymmetrical?

thanks
RUGGERO
Old 19-02-2015, 20:11   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds
Re: Design an asimmetric

I got a spinnaker in the US from voyagersails. Haven't put it on boat yet but looks good. They will tell you how to download and color. If your boat is under 42 feet I'd recommend 3/4 ounce and an ATN sock. They were a bit more than Far East sails but less than half the cost of major sailmakers.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:05   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft
Re: Design an asimmetric

I had a asymmetrical made for my Montgomery 15. Not standard sail for the boat. Decided on the mast location to get the height of the 'sail head' for the sail. Designed and built a bowsprit for the boat. After researching how to tack the sail decided on the bowsprit so it can tack without going to the bow. With the bowsprit you need to decide on the location for the tack. I selected a tack line length of 3 feet. This put the tack up and out ahead of bow gear. Tack line runs to the cockpit and is adjustable. Lastly decide on how long you want the foot to reach back along the rail. Most I observed reach back to the mast. Some come back to the last stay like a 150 genoa. .

Once you decide the size you will likely find a used sail for less money than you can make it. For most of these sails the term used is inaccurate. Many just sit in their sail bags somewhere in a boat locker.

Good luck with your quest. Mine worked out. I can set the sail solo. Change tack by taking the stern through the wind, letting the sheet balloon the sail forward, haul in the other sheet. The sail slides through the slot between the forestay and the sails luff. Jibe the main and your off on your new tack easy peasy. If your going to tack the bow through you will need a crew at the bow.

Fair winds.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote