Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2008, 08:08   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2007
Boat: Privilege 482
Posts: 363
Current Hurricane scenario (Ike related)

You have been out on an extended cruise and are currently anchored off of Long island in the Bahamas. It is 8:00 am Friday morning, September 5 2008. You look at the forecasted computer models and see that Hurricane Ike is tracking exactly for you and is expected to directly hit Long Island as a strong Cat 4 storm around 2:00 am Monday:

Tropical Storm: Tracking Map : Weather Underground (link shows real time info, track may have changed after posting)

You have 66 hours before the storm hits.

Do you attempt to ride it out? (Assume you have the standard equipment neccesary to anchor or tie up i.e. 2 or three anchors is OK, but you cannot magically conjur up 6 anchors and a cruise ship mooring)

Do you flee? (You have been actively cruising, assume that you can be underway in less than 2 hours) If so, where do you go?

Do you wait and see? What's you timeline for decisions?

Does your decision change if Ike was only going to be a Category 1 or 2 storm? What about Cat 5?
__________________

__________________
teneicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:02   #2
sitting on the dock of the bay

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,513
Images: 6
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i kick myself in the rear for being in the bahamas in september. can i have the boat hauled out and strapped down? ike is a trick forecast since they don't know if he is going north or south. you would need to wait a few days to know that.
__________________

__________________
sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most.
gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:30   #3
Back to the game

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Medellin, Colombia
Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
Posts: 545
The only option at this particular time is to get the boat out of the water, secure her and not take any chances by sailing around such weather.
__________________
JC
Soft Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:20   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 1,296
Yes, by far the best course would be to haul and secure the boat (and bury the keel). If haul out is not possible, then given the storm's track and speed, you cannot run away (wind is currently SW but projected to clock North by Saturday night). I don't know whether there are any hurricane holes on Long Island. You could make for the creek on Cat Island or Stocking Island in George Town. These are both noted huricane holes, but it could be a foolish trip if you weren't sure there'd be room.
__________________
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:52   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cruising NC, FL, Bahamas, TCI & VIs
Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Posts: 1,531
Go west young man!

I would head for Georgetown. I would NOT go to Cat Island... the creek at hawks nest is not somewhere I would want to wx a cat 4... and the bight is not much better. I spent a week there while several fronts passed through at the begining of this year, and while my Manson held, apparently most folks find the bottom to be less then agreeable.... and the creek is really narrow.

If it were me I would head for Georgetown, and try to get in the lee of the ridge at monument beach.

Good luck! You and your crew will be in our prayers.
__________________
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:53   #6
Registered User
 
Latitude9.5's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2006
Boat: CAL 3-46
Posts: 441
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
Good luck finding a yard that ain't full at this point. I'd head for a hurricane hole, depending on where I was. Throw all my anchors out, take the sails off, set em hard, then I'd start securing the anchors and hope for the best.

I hate hurricane season, i have a bad feeling about Ike.
__________________
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:14   #7
Registered User
 
CharlieCobra's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PNW
Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Posts: 1,290
I'd agree with gonesail, too late to run and no real place to haul. Unload the boat, make sure your insurance is up to date and pray a lot. Ike's gonna be nasty.
__________________
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:20   #8
Eternal Member
 
imagine2frolic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Las Brisas Panama AGAIN!
Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Posts: 4,508
Images: 123
Right now the wind is 11 knots in Georgetown. The storm is moving 16mph, and the storm is 66 hours away. My first choice is the chain across Nassau channel. If there is still breathing room I will continue north until I feel I need a change of plans. If Ike stays on this projected path I will easily outrun any danger.

I nearly always have 600-700 miles of fuel. With 25+ knots on the quarter I can maintain low, and mid teens without pushing the boat sailing alone. I have to agree with gonesail about kicking my own rear for being there in Sept.
__________________
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:35   #9
Back to the game

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Medellin, Colombia
Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
Posts: 545
I like the 700 miles of fuel i2frolic has, just make certain you don't keep inventing cocktails at least during the challenge.
__________________
JC
Soft Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:43   #10
Eternal Member
 
imagine2frolic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Las Brisas Panama AGAIN!
Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Posts: 4,508
Images: 123
INVENTING? I most likely will be wishing to drink a few once I get someplace safe. My nerves would be like a cat on a hot tin roof......JUMPY
__________________
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:06   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2007
Boat: Privilege 482
Posts: 363
Just to clarify- Unfortunately, while it's probably a reality for SOMEONE out there on Long Island, we are quite safe and in Chicago (although the remnants of Gustaf did drown us with 3 inches of rain yesterday). I agree it's bad planning to be in the Bahamas this time of year, but hey, sometimes things happen and I was just thinking- hmmm, what would I do if I was in fact there right now?
__________________
teneicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:19   #12
Eternal Member
 
imagine2frolic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Las Brisas Panama AGAIN!
Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Posts: 4,508
Images: 123
I guess it would depend on what local knowledge you have, what type of boat, and what speeds can be maintained? My fear would be to slow down, and stop to look for a hole. Only to find there is no room, so I would just keep going to Nassau, and make a decision from there with up to date weather reports. I believe in Chris Parker's forecast. His forecast has taken me from Nassau to Jax Florida between 2 northern storms safely, and quickly.
__________________
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:47   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Out there doin' it
Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
ike is a trick forecast since they don't know if he is going north or south. you would need to wait a few days to know that.
I haven't been following the forecasts, but am curious as to how many hurricanes have ever gone South?

I think I would choose to run South as far and as fast as possible.

Kevin
__________________
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:49   #14
Back to the game

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Medellin, Colombia
Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
Posts: 545
mmm don't mention it...my boat is on the hard in the BVI while I have been crosssing my fingers somewhere else.

Hope they don't head south
__________________
JC
Soft Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 13:18   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: WNA
Boat: Dufour 35
Posts: 3,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I guess it would depend on what local knowledge you have, what type of boat, and what speeds can be maintained? My fear would be to slow down, and stop to look for a hole. Only to find there is no room, so I would just keep going to Nassau, and make a decision from there with up to date weather reports. I believe in Chris Parker's forecast. His forecast has taken me from Nassau to Jax Florida between 2 northern storms safely, and quickly.
My choice would be to proceed as fast as possible on a southerly course towards Windward passage and into the Caribbean. Initially there will be some moderate headwinds, but decreasing. When the wind from Ike comes through, they will be from a northerly direction.
This choice is classical tactic....move into the navigable semi circle.

The problems with seeking local shelter is already mentioned by others. Sailing north takes you into the dangerous semicircle.
Have a look at the historical tracks for another reason not to head north.

From "HURRICANE IKE DISCUSSION NUMBER 18"
THE RIDGE SHOULD WEAKEN SOMEWHAT IN A COUPLE
OF DAYS...STEERING THE HURRICANE MORE TO THE WEST AND EVENTUALLY
WEST-NORTHWEST. HOWEVER...MODELS ARE NOT IN GOOD AGREEMENT ON WHEN
THIS WEST-NORTHWEST MOTION COULD MATERIALIZE.

This is another reason for me not to punt on heading north.

What I'm suggesting is not for the faint of heart, but I think it's what I would do, especially if I had a lovely cat like Imagine with good power range and the ability to put the northerly wind in front of Ike to good use. This choice requires you to get going asap, with no delays.
Happily, this is just an armchair exercise, but I can't help thinking back on a September delivery from Tampa through the Bahamas to Tortola, a long time ago. Luckily , no tropical systems in sight, just no wind at all .
Thomas

PS Lodesman, you beat me i suggesting the southerly option
__________________

__________________
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Limerick related to teak decks... bobola Off Topic Forum 1 13-10-2007 12:34
This is a love story (Boating Related) knottybuoyz Off Topic Forum 12 14-09-2007 07:19
NBR (Not Boating Related) knottybuoyz Off Topic Forum 0 22-08-2007 18:41
Looking for Wiring Schematic for this Scenario KevinE Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 10 22-11-2006 13:15



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:31.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.