Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2011, 20:10   #106

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Crew Crap

Thanks people,
I was considering hiring or just getting some one to sail from Fiji to Australia with my new boat,
I think now, after reading all these very invaluable posts. I will sail back alone if my friend does not want to come and flies back to Melbourne by herself.

She is terrified of the ocean.

Its Hypothetical at the moment. But I said to her, We will sail around Fiji first,

and then you can decide whether you want to sail across the ocean for 2 or 3 weeks. 3000 miles. Till we hit Australia,

Can only wait and see with that one,

Being on my Pat Malone doesnt bother me. Done that all my life, So thats not a problem for me.

Also, Before I get home, I will be sailing the Southern Ocean, Bass Straight and the Tasman Sea.

These are very dangerous seas at the best of times. 60 foot waves are quite common,

From what you lot are saying on here, it will sort the men from the boys, Hahahahaha

Cheers.
Brian.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 20:44   #107
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

some folks cannot handle the fact of being out of sight of land. i dont know what it is , but i have heard a few folks mention that--i love it out there. is awesome.
the problem is, isnt just they dont get along with the idea, many of them actually freak out. is not easy to handle a freaking out individual and sail a boat in a deep sea far from everyone. find out what the reaction is to being out far from land or night sailing or whatever it is and then figure out a plan.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 07:12   #108

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post

and then you can decide whether you want to sail across the ocean for 2 or 3 weeks. 3000 miles. Till we hit Australia,

Also, Before I get home, I will be sailing the Southern Ocean, Bass Straight and the Tasman Sea.

These are very dangerous seas at the best of times. 60 foot waves are quite common,

Cheers.
Brian.
G'DAy Brian,

Ya know, maybe you should tone down the rhetoric a tad and get your facts straight.

Distance from Fiji to Brisbane is about 1500 miles, not 3000. The rest of the way to Melbourne is coastal, and can mostly be done in day hops.

The route that most would take from Fiji to Melbourne would indeed touch upon the Southern Ocean, pass through Bass straight and the coastal fringes of the Tasman. These seas, while potentially dangerous are not "dangerous at the best of times", nor are 60 foot seas at all common. Possible, yes, common, no!

What I am getting at is that you seem to be dramatizing things to a silly level. No wonder your friend is terrified!

If you really want her to come with you, try describing the voyage a bit differently. The sail from Fiji to Queensland is usually a pleasant down wind voyage in the trades, one that experienced cruisers cherish. I'm assuming here that you are savvy enough to avoid doing it in Cyclone season... you are, aren't you?

Maybe if you lighten up a bit she will be more receptive to joining you.

Good luck, and enjoy Fiji. It is a lovely country to cruise in. You may even come to like kava... we did!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 25-08-2011, 10:39   #109

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
some folks cannot handle the fact of being out of sight of land.
That's when I start to relax. Fewer things to hit out there!
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 13:22   #110
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

a good storm soon quietens down a difficult crew,assuming the skipper knows what he is doing........
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 13:24   #111
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
No - we are 2 minutes out from the dock, and already heading in. Skipper hiding in the toilet and passing command to unknown crew on an unfamilar boat is enough of a red flag for me of what is yet to come........fair enough, 2nd time out - but first? That is taking the p#ss

But many ways to Skipper / Crew a boat.
I agree. I would not leave an untested crew member at such a point. I have learned to not just sail with the potential crew member but to sail with them on my boat, make sure they understand who pays the insurance and repair bills (me) and so has the last say (me).
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 13:40   #112
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'DAy Brian,

Distance from Fiji to Brisbane is about 1500 miles, not 3000. The rest of the way to Melbourne is coastal, and can mostly be done in day hops.

Jim
Yes, Jim is right.
We did Tonga to Sydney and I think it was 1,600 nms.

Its a good sail and as Jim says, once you join the coat it can be day hops or overnighters.

Sydney to Melbourne you could probably pick up sailors whowould love to crew. Cruising Yacht Club of Australia in Sydney is packed with good experienced people, some of which would like a run south.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 16:58   #113

Quote:
G'DAy Brian,

Ya know, maybe you should tone down the rhetoric a tad and get your facts straight.

The route that most would take from Fiji to Melbourne would indeed touch upon the Southern Ocean, pass through Bass straight and the coastal fringes of the Tasman. These seas, while potentially dangerous are not "dangerous at the best of times", nor are 60 foot seas at all common. Possible, yes, common, no!

What I am getting at is that you seem to be dramatizing things to a silly level. No wonder your friend is terrified!

If you really want her to come with you, try describing the voyage a bit differently. The sail from Fiji to Queensland is usually a pleasant down wind voyage in the trades, one that experienced cruisers cherish. I'm assuming here that you are savvy enough to avoid doing it in Cyclone season... you are, aren't you?

Maybe if you lighten up a bit she will be more receptive to joining you.

Good luck, and enjoy Fiji. It is a lovely country to cruise in. You may even come to like kava... we did!

Cheers,

Jim
Thanks, Jim,

The 3000 miles was a guestimate, 1500 miles is good to know for sure.

I have stood in the eye of a Cyclone, Maryborough in 1973,
I have also rode a motor bike through the end of one as well, 10 hours straight.

On a boat. Its party time in a Cyclone, Far up a creek out of the tidal surge amongst the mangroves. out of the wind as well.

Thats what rivers and creeks are for, Hiding in bad weather,
I dont intend going out in bad weather, I have plenty of time,

They Surf in 60 foot waves at the bottom of Tassie, Quite often.

The Spirit of Tasmania doesnt sail across Bass Straight in bad weather. And there are two of them. and they are big ships.

Sydney Hobart race lost about 7 boats there one year.

Bega is a good place to stay if its crap weather.

I tell her that, so she knows what I am avoiding by sitting in a port for 3 or 4 days.
I said to her, Fiji to Brisbane should be long open rollers if not pretty calm most of the way. You cant do much about a squall if your in it.

I taught her to ride a motor bike at 61, You wont know till you fall off it, I said to her, She has fallen of it 4 times, She didnt die, get maimed, lose limbs, Like people said she would. And she loves her bike, she is doing a 400 mile round trip today on it, by herself.

I am insignificant, when it comes to the ocean, I have a very healthy respect for it, But if you dont explain what it can be like, You are deluding your self.

Its like every thing, You must take measures to minimise all the risks,
With the ocean, you leave your ego home in a bottle.

And she does understand where I am coming from. I explain the worst scenario's that can happen, And also explain the things you can do to eliminate them, or minimise them as much as possible,
I am pretty blunt in my way of conversing, So you may have taken me wrong,
But you have to know me to understand that and the way I teach things,

Cheers,
Brian.
Old 25-08-2011, 17:47   #114

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Thanks, Jim,

The 3000 miles was a guestimate, 1500 miles is good to know for sure.

Best look at a chart before leaving

On a boat. Its party time in a Cyclone, Far up a creek out of the tidal surge amongst the mangroves. out of the wind as well.

Thats what rivers and creeks are for, Hiding in bad weather,
I dont intend going out in bad weather, I have plenty of time,

I was referring to the passage across the Coral Sea... mangroves are kinda scarce there.

They Surf in 60 foot waves at the bottom of Tassie, Quite often.

Quite often?? perhaps, but, in the many miles we've sailed in that area the worst we've seen were in the 5 metre range.

The Spirit of Tasmania doesnt sail across Bass Straight in bad weather. And there are two of them. and they are big ships.

Sydney Hobart race lost about 7 boats there one year.

And your point is...? We've crossed Bass Straits 16 times now, and by being patient we've never encountered any bad conditions. Touch wood. You and the GF can do this too, without the dramas.

Cheers,
Brian.
Brian, I'm not trying to tell you that your "blunt" talk is wrong, but it really might have something to do with the premonitory terror your GF is experiencing.

Enough from me... carry on.

Jim
Old 25-08-2011, 18:10   #115

Quote:

Brian, I'm not trying to tell you that your "blunt" talk is wrong, but it really might have something to do with the premonitory terror your GF is experiencing.

Enough from me... carry on.

Jim
My mistake, I actually worked it out in Kilometres, 3000 kays, But I am old and work in miles, So just put miles up instead,

My friend was terrified of the ocean long before I said any thing to her, She is now realising that maybe it is not as bad as she thinks,
Old 25-08-2011, 18:18   #116

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
Wishin..., I've been trying to quit for the past 10 years! If I ever get 6 months without it, no way I'm going back!

A medical history is a smart idea; another thing I never thought of.
I quit smoking but now I'm addicted to the damn gum.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 16:08   #117

Boat: Simonis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
You want to hear about bad crew. I left Panama for Hawaii, and 700 miles out from Costa Rica turned back. Read my signature blog, and your whoas will fell like nothing.......i2f
Sounds to me like the boat is run heavy handed and almost dictator style!
No thanks!
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 17:57   #118

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMoney View Post
No thanks!
The reference is to Imagine2Frolic's experience. There is always somebody who does not read the whole experience and understand what was needed, expected, and not delivered.
- - I am also still alive with active metabolized cancer and an undeterminable amount of time left to live depending upon how well the treatments work.
- - The treatments sap away almost 80% of your normal strength and trying to do things that were physically easy last year are beyond or near the limit of what can be done now. When forced to do the work expected of the crew by yourself just to stay alive, work that pushes you beyond the physical limits of your body, you can develop a bad attitude real quick.
- - The need for competent and especially a strong extra crew member was what was needed and expected. What he got was essentially a scam artist and it nearly cost them the boat and lives. I2F was being really nice to return, I would have thrown the guy over the side.
- - So before you cast judgement read the rest of the story . . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 18:03   #119
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMoney View Post
No thanks!
I can't comment on the heavy handed aspect but aren't all boats normally run dictator style.

The captain issues the order, the crew comply - end of story; well unless the admiral has a different viewpoint, then the wise captain listens; however, the crew still comply.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 18:35   #120
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Crew Crap

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew