Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-08-2011, 08:02   #61

Re: Crew Crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishinforwind View Post
She passed and I was a "terrible deckhand didna know my **** from shinola. what ever shinola is)
Doesn't know **** from Shinola

Old 22-08-2011, 08:04   #62

Boat: Maxum 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
First port of call, tell crew to pound dirt.

Second thing, his license doesn't mean squat, he was crew, so license is nothing.
I'll have to agree here. I often advertise my license as a plus on crew requests, but I would not not presume it gives me "rights" to take over the boat, but only that my knowledge is available for the use of the boats owner as needed, (requested). This guy in just a few sentences shows an unprecedented level of arrogance. Best let him go back to sportfishing.

Old 22-08-2011, 08:20   #63
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
I hope never to have a boat for which I need crew.

Someone posted "I've taken people out sailing, but never called them crew, just company."

I managed people for a living early in my career. I got away from it and life is better now. I still work with people, but I'm not responcible for them. I enjoy sailing and enjoy taking people with me. I enjoy it if they want to help, either because they know how or because they want to learn. But I never need the help nor require it. If there are long passages I will give up the helm for rest, but if a good helmsman is not available, I will shorten the passage as needed.

I would never go on a multi-day trip on a boat with a person I have not known for years, any more than I would go on any other vacation; why would I? I am not going to spend time in a stressful setting with a person I do not know to be steady. I want a person that will wear well when things get tiresome. I would much sooner go alone than with unknown company. I will stay within these limitations.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 08:27   #64

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: I hope never to have a boat for which I need crew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Someone posted "I've taken people out sailing, but never called them crew, just company."

I managed people for a living early in my career. I got away from it and life is better now. I still work with people, but I'm not responcible for them. I enjoy sailing and enjoy taking people with me. I enjoy it if they want to help, either because they know how or because they want to learn. But I never need the help nor require it. If there are long passages I will give up the helm for rest, but if a good helmsman is not available, I will shorten the passage as needed.

I would never go on a multi-day trip on a boat with a person I have not known for years, any more than I would go on any other vacation; why would I? I am not going to spend time in a stressful setting with a person I do not know to be steady. I want a person that will wear well when things get tiresome. I would much sooner go alone than with unknown company. I will stay within these limitations.
I tend to agree... but a paid crew or even inviting an unpaid, unknown crew is like using an anchor...there's two reasons to anchor... one is because you want to...the other is because you GOT to...
Old 22-08-2011, 08:36   #65

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Took on a crew member for a run from Key West to Honduras I met on CF.
Worked out fine, he wanted some experience on a trawler and we needed a third person. He paid his own travel expenses from Canada so he had some skin in the game, so to speak. We had fun and great weather.
Old 22-08-2011, 08:57   #66
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i took 2 relatively unknowns from cf from san diego to ensenada--they were great--one was a bit seasick, but good as crew, and the other was excellent noob who was able to navigate-- we had a good time, even with the seasick one being seasick, and we did a good job of getting to our destination.
we did have some time at the dock to get to know one another before leaving dockside.
yeah i would do it again.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 09:11   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

At about 26 or 27 years old, after living on sailboats for almost 8 years, I bought a 40 ft trawler......
I was amazed how my friends ( all sailors mind you) reacted to my change in vessel type. I was teased and harassed to no end! It was as if I betrayed some secret agreement between sailors, thou shall not power! It really opened my eyes to the expectation of the stereotype sailor verses power vessel.

Funny, we run away or run to, or even just accidentally stumble into this beautiful life with the sea. Let's just count our lucky stars that we have found a place where we can breathe easy and feel the deck beneath our feet, be it power or sail. :-)

As far as crew crap, here is a link to one of my crewing disaster stories. I say one because I was young ( blonde) and a bit naive when I crewed on boats, it took me a while to figure out how to pick the non crazy boats.
Psycho crew from hell
Old 22-08-2011, 10:00   #68
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

my crew disaster was truly a marriage from hell,. as man was a stalker with a history of it before i met him. took 7 yrs to loose the man from my life and i had to disappear and start over to do that.
this man has friends who have reappeared into my life at present and that scares my coat off.
the man is the sole reason i donot post my face online, or my real name.
now i will again have nightmares for a week or two....i would rather sail into a hurrycame than have that man know where and who i am.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 10:09   #69
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_za View Post
Not defending the bloke but reading that I felt sorry for the crew :\ you sound like quite the catch!

Having said that I don't mind sailing with the demanding control freak skippers if they know their stuff. It's only when they don't that it becomes a problem.

In fact that's the key to good harmony on board: skipper must know their stuff, crew must be able to follow instruction. Most crew have no idea what they are getting into though, life on board a boat is very different, especially when the wind gets up, most are not capable. I've crewed with a sailing instructor who spent the whole time curled in his bunk every time the seas got up...
Let's see here, you have 23 post, and act as if you know me? It's pretty obvious that you don't, but yet you wish to call me a control freak, and quite the catch. Not to mention I may, or may not know my stuff.

What I do know has gotten me safely for nearly 20,000 sea miles, and 15 years of more than weekly sails on S.F. Bay in any weather at all times of year. 4,00 miles single handed from S.F. to Cabo, and back. I am pretty sure I am capable. Rounding Point Conception in 50+ winds, and 20ft+ seas on my way to Cabo.

It doesn't sound like you have read the blog, and if you haven't then of course you will feel sorry for someone who lied, and B.S. way onto Imagine. He claimed Southern Ocean sailing, and a delivery from Cabo to San Diego. I took the man at his word. He is a friend of a friend.

What do you not understand that a month on the boat, and he is still leaving crap in the stool? Is that not evidence in the simplest form that the man refused to listen? Pump the damned handle a lot more! Even my wife who is a saint, and always looking for the best in a person had to call him a liar after a month.

I am recovering from near death from cancer treatment, and asked bluntly for someone to reef a main in a gale. You can see my crew request here. I explained in detail my lack of strength, and stamina. Look at my blog, and see my picture in Feb with 60 lbs of muscle lost.

I have lost thousands of dollars. My wife will have to leave for the states for at least several months to work. The man endangered his, our lives as well as the boat, so he could go for a sailboat ride to Hawaii. It was irrersponsible of him to take on the task I requested, and especially for my reasons why. I am also in Costa Rica where our insurance will not cover me if I need more medical attention.

I left the boat in Panama for treatment in the states. The boat was robbed, pumps dried up, and all kinds of little problems needed to be sorted out, because the boat sat.

Maybe your the type that feels sorry for the mass murderer, or molester, because they had a bad childhood? I don't know you, and you can feel sorry for the crew if you wish, but then again that says a lot about who you are if this is so.

As far as calling me a control freak. After a month the man couldn't understand to push the little lever with his thumb to remove, and place the winch handle in, or out of the winch. You really need to read the blog before you start calling me out. Sometimes it's best to keep your fingers off the keyboard unless you want to remove all doubt to your state of mind!........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 11:06   #70

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pato View Post
When I crewed on my buddy's boat from charleston to panama I had to read and sign the boat working manual that described the working of the boat where thruhulls were and safety drills and who was incharge and so on seemed like a good way to go about it. Made for clear sailing. While crew input was welcome captain always has the last word and that's how it should be. The manual also described what was and what wasent allowed to take place on board. And we have been friends for years before I had no problem signing and neither should any crew and if there is there probably not worth taking as it's a sign of what's to come.
This is the ideal to which I aspire. I have diagrams of where the safety stuff is, and a clear chain of command. Ambiguity is fine for the shore, but the buck stops with the skipper, and the crew should consider another mode of travel if they want to sail by committee.

That said, just as the skipper should be choosy about the crew, and crystal-clear on what is expected and how the boat is set up, so should crew be critical about the skipper's competency and ability to run a happy ship. If you know more than the skipper, and the skipper is bringing along you as "expert crew", then you recommend and give counsel...but the skipper still has the last word, legally and by virtue of the gig, so to speak.

The exception, of course, is that the crew on night watch is utterly in charge, save for conditions in which the skipper has said "wake me for this". Usually, the watchstander is obliged to not leave the cockpit and to stay clipped in for his/her trick, and that's a very good policy in my book. Too many have drowned falling off the stern with something precious at hand.
Old 22-08-2011, 11:15   #71
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Being the delivery skipper with a newbie boat owner can be hazerdous to your sanity.
That's a thread I would like to read (maybe the Mods could help by anonymising contributors? ).
Old 22-08-2011, 11:51   #72

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
It doesn't sound like you have read the blog, and if you haven't then of course you will feel sorry for someone who lied, and B.S. way onto Imagine. He claimed Southern Ocean sailing, and a delivery from Cabo to San Diego. I took the man at his word. He is a friend of a friend.
I read the blog and I posted my reply there.

"Friend of a friend", however, carries no premium with me, because I'm not bringing "a friend's friend". I'm bringing a crew, and if he/she is a surly, silent bastard who knows his or her stuff, I am content. It's not in the usual sense a pleasure cruise, and people on passage run out of small talk soon enough anyway.

Am I saying you should have seen through Gilligan's lies? No, because that is not always possible. Should you have revealed said lies through close questioning of his claims, or perhaps run the boat around the bay in crap weather to see if his walk matched his talk? Yes, I am saying that. A skipper is a manager who hires, in a sense, crew as trusted employees. If you hire a lazy know-nothing, part of that has to rest with you...because you are the skipper.

Given your particular circumstances and the fact that returning is going to cost you big time, may I respectfully ask if you ever considered hiring a professional crew to make the passage? Giving a 25 year old with some certs and a 10 year racing career in the top amateur level (all things that can be PROVEN and not just come out of yacht club boasting at the bar) a couple of grand and a return airfare seems like a good deal to sleep six hours soundly at night.

That said, I'm sorry you went for Popeye and got Gilligan.
Old 22-08-2011, 12:45   #73

Over the years I've had similar problems with crew not knowing where they stand nor their function(s) as crew members. We now hand out laminated cards to all who visit or or sail with us, (some get 1,2 or 3 cards) outlining each persons duties, the rules of the boat, where equipment is located (ie lifejackets, fire extinguishers, pumps etc) and who is in charge and the order this charge leads. My Boat, my rules; if you don't like it, stay on the dock or buy your own boat.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 12:56   #74
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: I hope never to have a boat for which I need crew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I tend to agree... but a paid crew or even inviting an unpaid, unknown crew is like using an anchor...there's two reasons to anchor... one is because you want to...the other is because you GOT to...
Yep.

And most people understand how it should work; settling who is in charge before untying the lines. I've sailed with less experienced sailors both as captain and as crew; I'm happy with either. Perhaps I've been fortunate and never felt the NEED to overrule a dangerous error. I've always been able to explain what I see and reach easy consensus. Luck, perhaps.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 13:05   #75
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryfee View Post
On a cruise to the Keys I was having friction with my crew. My boat a 45 ft sailboat, my crew a 60 yr old sailor and a 43yr old Sportie. After a couple discussions with my Sportie he advised me he felt he was Ranking Officer by virtue of his coastie license even without any sail experience. This was on day four of ten. I decided to terminate the cruise early as it was not working out. This issue did surprise me. Just looking for insight, laughs, and other experiences!
I had a similar experience. Everything I did was subject to a 5 - 10 minute debate. He refused to learn about the (simple) electronic equipment on board -- a Garmin 441 and a depth finder.

EVERYTHING was (in his mind) subject to his approval. I use fresh water for flushing the head, and gave him specific instructions to use half a bucket of water. He came back up bragging that he'd been able to flush with considerably less, so I had to stop what I was thinking about and explain to him that it was important to get the head contents all the way into the tank so nothing clogged the hose.

In his opinion it was more important to conserve water. Well, it wasn't his problem if my hose got plugged, was it?

I had sailed with him before, racing on his boat, and of course I deferred to him -- even when he imagined that reefing in 25 mph winds would slow us down. His old sail tore along the entire foot of the boom. It just didn't occur to me that he would think he was in charge of my boat also.

I think it's important to sit down with the crew before you leave and sort these things out. I've been in dangerous situations where the other person was certain she knew better than me. Not good.

Tags
crew

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: