Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2011, 07:47   #136
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Crew Crap

is very very difficult when people lie to gain crew position. i dealt with that, but i was most fortunate that they didnt like sailing 100 miles off shore. it really saved my bacon.
i am sad that you didnt have a good experience, john, as you seem to be a good man and a good sailor. please get better and live your adventure as you were doing before the illness.
i would love to meet you and mel.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 22:45   #137
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMoney View Post
We are entitled to our opinions and I stated mine about the event as written by you.
I crewed aboard Imagine from Florida to Colombia. John and Mel were great, and Imagine a joy to sail. After a month aboard, I can say that John is a patient, competent, captain. He is also an honest man, so no reason to doubt anything that he says about this crewmember. You'd have to have some serious issues to get on his "ghetto" side.

I have also sailed with another skipper that damn near got us killed, or at least seriously injured, on several occasions. I had sailed with him on the bay a few times, so thought he was ok. Sometimes, it just takes time for flaws to appear.

Hang in there i2f! (is that really you in the yellow trunks? Damn!!!)

Honestly, when I read the "Crew Wanted", and "Want to Crew" ads, I just cringe. Most of these people have no idea of what is in store for them, and in most cases, it isn't going to be a good experience.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 00:01   #138

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Well this thread has been interesting and a bit useful but I feel I should contribute some positivity.

A few years ago I had to sail my 38' yacht fro Melbourne to Sydney in winter and only self to do. I was consulting with a new client who commented on a sailing book on the desk. One thing led to another and he joined me as crew the next day.
We had really crappy weather thru Bass Strait, a couple of cold days in Refuge Cove and another five days of mixed sailing, layovers in port and pubs before arrival in Sydney.
All the way we had a lively rolling discussion dealing with everything nautical, artistic and practical and theoretical you can think of. We remain friends going our own ways since. A very fond memory. And he knew heaps about sailing - but I did not know that on first meeting.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 04:54   #139
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

RTB,

I haven't been that skinny for 40 years. Although I would rather have my muscle back along with my belly

Thanks for the notes dropped to me from members & the kind words here too..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew