Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2017, 15:25   #61

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Coastal cruising and getting older

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taodnt View Post
And some, like me, are just getting started.

I just turned 65 and am putting my acquired last year new to me boat in the water on Monday.

This has been great reading for me

Chris
Christ, enjoy her!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 15:30   #62

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
I am seventy-six, but that was not the reason I mentioned the tri. the large rudder which a trimaran has (three hulls, one rudder) and the hydraulic steering was the point.

Using powered winches and hydraulic wheel autopilot and steering, he can keep sailing his Tahiti ketch without the arthritis problems.
I loved my Piver.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 15:39   #63

I am in my 70s. Tried a Grand Banks trawler after 60 years of sailing. Bad decision. Not enjoyable, not relaxing, not a sailboat. So sold it. Tried a runabout(padebco). Kind of like drinking air. No taste. So gave up transiting to a motorboat.
Solution was simple. An Orion 27 made by Pacific Seacraft. Small, super easy to sail, great sea motion and stability, and even thought a full keel, spins on a dime. There are other small cruisers that perform just as well. Stay with the full keel, their motion is predictable. We have a wheel rather than a tiller. Easier to hold on with, less effort, and allows one to stand rather than sit all the time.
Only modification for older folks: Hand rails for going down below. Had a boatwright put two, one for each side, down the companionway to the belowdeck floor. Now you can hold on with both hands while the feet try to find the steps.
Oh and one more thing, we added a beefed up pushpit that wraps a good way around the cockpit so one can lean against it, hang things from it, and provides good handholds in a chop. Good luck and good sailing.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 15:53   #64

I found the comments on angle drills interesting, but then I wonder how long they last after the first dollop of salt water hits them. You hardly need winches in nice weather and it is typically wet when it blows hard enough to need winches. When I had an elbow injury, I discovered that a longer winch handle made life easier (less painful) , and did not cost much. Just some thoughts (that I will soon forget) on old age. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 16:05   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
I found the comments on angle drills interesting, but then I wonder how long they last after the first dollop of salt water hits them. You hardly need winches in nice weather and it is typically wet when it blows hard enough to need winches. When I had an elbow injury, I discovered that a longer winch handle made life easier (less painful) , and did not cost much. Just some thoughts (that I will soon forget) on old age. ____Grant.
And then came electric winches. They work well and stand up well to the elements.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 16:52   #66

Boat: Cutter rigged Tahitiana

As the OP many thanks to all! I may have been on the water for donkeys' years but never too late to learn...I love it!

Christian
Christian W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 17:02   #67

Weavis, is there any smaller vessel chartering in the south of Spain? My Lady and I are going to Europe in Sept and may want to charter/rent a small (25-30ft) boat for a couple of days, or even just for some daysails? Her father was born in Barcelona, so we are going to go through the church archives there. It should be fun. Thanks, ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 18:20   #68

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Sheesh, Christian, seems that everyone wants you to give up sailing, and from your history, I bet that isn't what you had in mind. If this is correct, to me it seems that a move to a more modern boat, a lighter one, and one with at least a furling headsail if not a main as well would help relieve the physical stresses involved with local coastal cruising. I realize that you have shown a strong preference for traditional sorts of vessels, but despite their attractions, they tend to be physically demanding.

The other handicap that you are enduring is the primarily singlehanded sailing. For us older types, some extra hands make a big difference. I don't know where in Tassie you are located, but in the Hobart/DentreCasteaux realm I see a lot of us senior sailors about. Some no longer have boats and would welcome the chance to get back sailing, others are in a similar situation to you and perhaps would like to swap sailing days back and forth on each other's vessels.

As to specific recommendations of yachts, I am loathe to be that bold! Something that is easily driven, so that sailing with reduced area is still satisfying... that helps keep the interest up and the need for sudden sail reduction down. Something with decent auxiliary power for the times that you need to get upwind and don't want the effort and fatigue associated with hard beating. And for other than summer, something with good shelter and some form of heat is sure nice here.

For the record, i'm about to turn 79, Ann is about to turn 77 and we still manage our fairly light 46 footer ok. We don't drive her nearly as hard as we used to, reefing early and in fact, avoiding heavy wx as much as possible. And we collectively have our share of geriatric complaints. But we still love the life and will keep at it as long as possible.

So, if you see us about the area, make yourself known and join us for a cuppa. Currently in Cygnet, will be back in Hobart later in the month for another eye jab and some tooth cleaning... Ah yes, another good thing in an elder's boat is a computer in which to note medical appointments!

Cheers,

JIm
Nice response Jim - encourages us too (currently we have 15 odd years to catch up on you two). I always thought a nice trawler would be a good option to stay floating into ones latter years, but of course it is a matter of how far one can stretch the sailing before having to make that jump. Modern technology and designs certainly help keep the sailing going longer.

I hope we meet up with you both one day.

David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:49   #69

Boat: Pearson 34-II

You didn't mention your height but given an average size male(5'8"-6') here's some important values:
Light/Medium displacement sloop with fin keel and spade rudder
27-30' LOA
wide side decks based upon LOA
tiller or wheel(my preference would be tiller-simplicity and ease of repair)
roller headsail 115 or less; all sheets/halyards led aft to cockpit;lazyjacks
ice box vs reefer/propane stove
KISS as a primary goal
This is a sailboat that could easily be sailed/single-handled in most conditions for coastal cruising. We sailed a similar 25 footer for over six years and enjoyed every minute aboard. As a final consideration, I would strongly lean towards a 15 HP outboard in lieu of a diesel engine for simplicity, maintenance and repair. Hope this helps. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:32   #70

Boat: Camano Troll

It's not uncommon for folks to switch from sailboats to trawlers as they reach their senior years and find the effort of a sailboat too much to handle. You can still cruise but with much less effort.
Old 13-01-2017, 05:50   #71

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

I sailed a full month with my son, 42years older than me.

He is a sportsman and has a terrific complexion. He trains hard ashore..
Yet, the one getting repeatedly exhausted, starving, sleepy, tired, losing things off board, esking up dloely and lately.... was not the Dad.

The more you do, the better.

I concede that electric winches are great, a necessity above 50'.

2 autopilots. An enclosed bimini. Some wireless control.
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 06:21   #72

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian W. View Post
I would appreciate some feedback on getting older and choice of boat to keep cruising as long as possible... My question to those of similar problems and/or life stage; what vessel have you found to be the best in order to keep cruising forever (!) ? With thanks!
Hi ! I'm 70, so I understand very well your question 2 years ago I single handed my 6 metric tons Ericson 34 from Beaufort NC to St-Martin French West Indies in 11 days but could have done it in 9 if my crew had shown up as planed!
How about cruising French & other European canals for the next ten years ? You can start with Le Canal du Midi, then go up the Rhone, link up with German Canals during the summer... Nice sceneries, good wines along the way: you can take a nap after a gorgeous meal in Macon or a bicycle ride ... Older farts like me were kids when the Yankee sailed the European canals before sailing up the Nile (Before the Aswan dam was built). All this for the National Geographic Society Cheers ! You can get their books or Audio CD on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Yankee-Across...+Across+Europe
https://books.google.com/books/about...d=uTZZAAAAYAAJ
1959 Sparkman & Stephens Original Yankee Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CanalDuMidi.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	339.8 KB
ID:	139556   Click image for larger version

Name:	NearToulouse.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	352.6 KB
ID:	139557  

Name:	Yankee.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	139560   Click image for larger version

Name:	RhoneRhinCanal.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	139561  

ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 06:40   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Weavis, is there any smaller vessel chartering in the south of Spain? My Lady and I are going to Europe in Sept and may want to charter/rent a small (25-30ft) boat for a couple of days, or even just for some daysails? Her father was born in Barcelona, so we are going to go through the church archives there. It should be fun. Thanks, ____Grant.
Barcelona is other side of Spain to me. Short answer is I dont know.... I will see if any answer is forthcoming on the internet..
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 06:43   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Boatman61 might know in Almeria... he spent a bit of time there on and off..

https://www.angloinfo.com/almeria/di...-boat-hire-510
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	almeria.png
Views:	112
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	139563  
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 06:55   #75

I like the fact that sailing involves grunt work. Sometimes I really struggle to trim the headsail in a stiff breeze but it keeps me very motivated to stay in shape. If your not in decent shape your not safe to do foredeck work because your balance will be compromised. Just living on the boat is good for you, I must do those stairs 20-30 times a day.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising