Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2017, 16:28   #46

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Coastal cruising and getting older

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveningTide View Post
I have a Pacific Seacraft 24 ft Dana. This boat is much like your Serrafyn except made of fiberglass and has an 18 horse diesel. It is simply equipped for cheap maintenance and set up for single-handing. I am 72 and mostly single-hand. The boat is 15 years old and except for new sails has needed very little.
I was thinking along these lines also. A smaller boat.

Mine is a Bristol 27 with outboard (no diesel smell)

It came equipped and I have done very little maintenance in the 5 years I've owned it.

The boat is 42 years old and easy to sail especially with the autopilot. I rarely use the winches.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 16:40   #47

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
Turning 63 this year has me wondering about the future of my sailing. Fortunately I may have lucked on the boat that can carry me into the years. The pieces that feel right are, FJ, FM, self-tacking jib, windlass, and auto pilot. Plus a total length of 31' is easy on upkeep costs and docking. Bombay Pilothouse 31
Forgot about the self tacking gib.
Crossed the Tasman as crew and the self tacker was crashing noisy but working fine in 50knots apparent. A great asset. Don't think we made much SOG that day but it was progress. I wonder how it would go on my ketch.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 17:05   #48

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
Turning 63 this year has me wondering about the future of my sailing. Fortunately I may have lucked on the boat that can carry me into the years. The pieces that feel right are, FJ, FM, self-tacking jib, windlass, and auto pilot. Plus a total length of 31' is easy on upkeep costs and docking. Bombay Pilothouse 31
Yes, and a Bombay Pilothouse 31 would do just fine too. Especially good looking is the one for sale in Massachusetts.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 18:20   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian W. View Post
I would appreciate some feedback on getting older and choice of boat to keep cruising as long as possible.

My background is: dinghy racing since childhood, then in my early thirties a Holland 25, a Lyle Hess Serrafyn sister ship which I had for 27 years, and my present vessel a Tahitiana 32' steel double ended cutter (ten years). My cruising has been south-eastern Tasmanian coastal cruising only. I single-hand 99% of the time.

I have been experiencing failing physical stamina, arthritis in hands and back, and slight balance problems.

My question to those of similar problems and/or life stage; what vessel have you found to be the best in order to keep cruising forever (!)?

I love the sea-kindliness and and slowness of my Tahitiana and she suits our temperate climate here in the Variables (except for heavy windward work), but the gear is heavy and she is hard on the helm in anything on the beam. She is also hard to maintain (I do everything myself).

With thanks!
Hi Christian,
It sounds like you have done well, and should keep at it. I sold a fast Farrier 31' trimaran and bought an S&S 34.
The 34 does what your Tatiana does without any bad habits. Going to windward is as good as it can be, and the helm is always light. I fitted a Fleming wind vane and new furling headsail, but need to change the main Reefing arrangements to a simple two line system.
There is some good 34s around and they are cheap enough at the moment.
I reckon you would appreciate the S&S sea- kindliness too, there is very little heel if you don't over canvas the 34.
I had a new main made with very deep 2nd and third reefs and she charges along at 7 knots in a good breeze with two reefs. Worth considering, hope you get many more years.
PS I might look into changing my name/Avatar, there is so many older sailors out there. At 57, maybe I should try "young Dave"
Olddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 19:52   #50

Boat: Endeavourcat 30

When we were looking to get back into sailing after Kevin Rudd gave us $900 each and said "boost your local economy", which we did by chartering in the Whitsundays for a week with a couple of equally enriched friends, I found this 25' Seacraft Caravel on eBay. It shouted "I'm an Old Farts Yacht" and we bought it. It has standing headroom in the saloon which enables me to stretch my back, it has roller furling/reefing on both the headsail and mainsail, lines led back to the centre cockpit, and a 22 hp Diecon/Kubota diesel which will push her at 6 knots into 30 knot headwinds (that's wet, believe me). The queen size berth in the aft cabin closed the deal.

Since we bought it we sailed it from Brisbane to Bowen and have added davits, opening hatches, solar panels, desalinator, Jabsco electric dunny and various electronics including ultrasonic antifouling which we have yet to test.

Its 650mm draft and flat bottomed keel allow us to practically park it on the beach so we can walk ashore. (Nice in the Whitsundays, water is never cold).

And of course I have put on a hardtop, only 100% blockout is good enough in the tropics.

As you can see from the photos, she's home on the trailer at the moment awaiting the completion of her hull being painted and a coat of antifouling.

We used to sail our 45' 18 tonne ketch but this one is great for where we are at this moment. I'll be seventy this year, I hope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1077.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	139386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1080.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	139387  

Name:	IMG_1076.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	139388   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1215.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	423.2 KB
ID:	139391  

Name:	WP_20161114_17_55_44_Pro.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	139393   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20161114_17_56_23_Pro.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	401.1 KB
ID:	139394  

CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 20:16   #51

Boat: Endeavourcat 30

I have no idea why my photos keep posting upside down, I even edited one to turn it upside down so it would be right side up but it isn't. I hate people who post things upside down. My apologies to those, who like me, don't like upside down photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20161114_17_56_23_Pro.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	401.1 KB
ID:	139395   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1161.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	139396  

CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 22:35   #52

Boat: Island Packet 40

Only 72 but just changed boat from steel to fibre glass because rust never sleeps and I now do at least a couple of times a day.

HF radio for regular weather reports and don't go out in bad weather.

Motor a bit more than I used to.

Learn to heave to for nap taking and to avoid rolly anchorages.

Give up the macho, brute strength and ignorance thing and use the winches more.

Power anchor winch is a must have.

Stay out of marinas as much as possible, they have cockroaches, mice, rats, and avaricious operators.

Cruise in places without or a minimum of bar crossings.

Allow pragmatism to rule at all times unless it cannot be avoided.

Explain to your ingrate children that you enslaved yourself to give them a good home and prepare them for their adult life and that you having done so any problems they now have are their own to solve.

Get selfish, you probably now deserve it, and inform everyone that the rest of your life is your own and you will live it however you like.

On the boat choice thing my own choice is about 40' long, long keel, solid glass, good 50hp engine, cutter rigged. I am fitting 2 autopilots and a chart plotter and when I finally make a choice on the dingy will install a davit. I am putting off worrying about how to get the wheel chair aboard until I actually need one.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 23:17   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
If you are on this forum, as we are (well, if you're reading this you are) then I think it is safe to say we all understand the lure of the sail.

However, given the choice between scavenging crew to sail or jumping on a power cat solo, I would certainly opt for the power cat.

To me there is just something about still being out on the water, enjoying the sun, the waves and then the sunset and not having to share it with someone I don't know that well.

Looking further ahead I believe, and there are those that would smite this, you could enjoy that power cat for many years beyond when you have to give up the sails and the little known guests..

Just MHO, for what it is worth.
This is why I suggested the Catalac. It can be an excellent, slow, power cat. Yet, sail nicely with wind abeam and aft without a lot of strain on him. Giving up sailing due to age or disability is a HUGE issue. Finding an alternative, to blend both, perhaps not ideal ends of either, is better than giving it up. Ya know?
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:51   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post

Explain to your ingrate children that you enslaved yourself to give them a good home and prepare them for their adult life and that you having done so any problems they now have are their own to solve.

Get selfish, you probably now deserve it, and inform everyone that the rest of your life is your own and you will live it however you like.
Haha, we must all come out of the same mould 👍🍻
Olddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:10   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

This thread made me ask questions regarding the lure of the water.
When in the States, I mainly had motor vessels up to 40 feet. Loved them... expensive to run twin inboard Gas Chryslers... would make my eyes water at the pump sometimes... I digress. I love being on the water- period. Here in Sevilla Spain, Im 90 miles from the sea but have a long river leading to it. A friend of mine has a tourist boat but is not averse to going with me for long jaunts up and down the river when he is not busy... mainly because I know all the good food places...

If you still have the ability to raise sails and reef, and the problem is only in the other jobs, maintenance etc, then I too would recommend a good stable solid small catamaran. All lines leading to the cockpit, small steps to go inside and down to the galley and cabins.. stable motion under sail and easy to look after. You can get a single or twin engine configuration depending on preference or pocket.

Though not in your age bracket, I too have slowed and the stamina is outpaced by physical tiredness at times... so its something we all need to think about for the future.

Thank you for your thread..
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:28   #56

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBazza View Post
I have no idea why my photos keep posting upside down, I even edited one to turn it upside down so it would be right side up but it isn't. ....
Ah... evidently insufficient ballast?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:37   #57

This thread is interesting, it speaks to how different people deal with aging. Some quit and some modify and others just keep going using different methods. We all see the world in a different light, interesting views.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:05   #58

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Dana, 24
Send a message via ICQ to EveningTide

This has been a great thread! A chance to hear from all the other "oldsters".

I have a few more comments. Sailing in a mono-hull will never be easy when its blowing and rough and I know that. But when old people stop accepting a challenge they start to age faster. I notice that I can do it but sometimes I am mentally unwilling to try (when the forecast is less than gentle). My bravery (if I ever had any) is slipping away. I could change some things to make the boat sail with less effort but some of us just don't have extra money to buy new stuff so I get by with what I have. When I can no longer deal with hanked-on head sails or reef the main maybe this is a sign I should take up gardening.
EveningTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 14:47   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
This thread is interesting, it speaks to how different people deal with aging. Some quit and some modify and others just keep going using different methods.
And some, like me, are just getting started.

I just turned 65 and am putting my acquired last year new to me boat in the water on Monday.

This has been great reading for me

Chris
Taodnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 15:01   #60

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I am seventy-six, but that was not the reason I mentioned the tri. the large rudder which a trimaran has (three hulls, one rudder) and the hydraulic steering was the point.

Using powered winches and hydraulic wheel autopilot and steering, he can keep sailing his Tahiti ketch without the arthritis problems.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising