Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2017, 13:07   #31

Boat: Beneteau 323
Re: Coastal cruising and getting older

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
We moved aboard on the day of the Watergate break in and we're moving off on the day of Donald Trump's inauguration. ...infamous bookends!
Great story, good luck with your move ashore.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 13:14   #32

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

What does politics have to do with it?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 13:25   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Smaller and lighter displacement. At 72 can still handle my 35' boat but I don't need that large a boat and it's getting a bit intimidating for single handing. Have been looking at boats around 29' mostly with fin keels. Sailed on a few and the sails and ground tackle are very easy to handle compared to my bigger boat. The 28' boat I've an offer in on has everything led back to the cockpit so can handle the boat without leaving the cockpit. A big plus as my sense of balance isn't what it used to be and being able to run the boat while safely braced against something and not having to crawl forward on a lurching deck. Roller furling on my 'big' boat headsail has been a fantastic labor saver and certainly will be just as useful on the smaller boat. I've gotten by just fine with double line slab reefing with halyard and reefing lines led back to the cockpit and lazy jacks on the 35'. Doing the same operations on a smaller, similarly equipped boat is light years easier. Handling around the marina is so much easier. The fin keel boats turn so much sharper than a full keel boat. A couple tons less displacement means I can easily muscle the boat around ine the slip.

o smaller and lighter.

Size of the interior is just fine for short period coastal cruising. Essentially live in about a 10'x9' area on the larger boat which is just about the space in the smaller boat. Give up storage and a 'spacious' head but don't need that space to enjoy the boat. It's mostly turned into dead storage for stuff and stuff is a killer when it comes to boat performance.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 13:36   #34

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
While living ashore I plan to buy a small 20 -30' Downeast,- something with a single diesel under an engine box on an open deck with a cuddy cabin. Something I can continue to work on, because I'm aware that I'm addicted to working on my boat as much as cruising. ..maybe more!
Doesn't seem right Hud. You sure you can't get a wheel chair accessible boat?
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 13:48   #35

While living ashore I plan to buy a small 20 -30' Downeast,- something with a single diesel under an engine box on an open deck with a cuddy cabin. Something I can continue to work on, because I'm aware that I'm addicted to working on my boat as much as cruising. ..maybe more!
Sounds great to me.
Old 10-01-2017, 13:59   #36

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Pulling on sheets and halyards with arthritic hands seems unappealing.

Old 10-01-2017, 14:02   #37

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Dana, 24
Send a message via ICQ to EveningTide

I have a Pacific Seacraft 24 ft Dana. This boat is much like your Serrafyn except made of fiberglass and has an 18 horse diesel. It is simply equipped for cheap maintenance and set up for single-handing. I am 72 and mostly single-hand. The boat is 15 years old and except for new sails has needed very little. I day-sail and cruise along the California Coast. I don't live aboard for more than three weeks at a time so the size is adequate. Small size means easy handling at sea or in harbor. I don't have roller furling but do have down-hauls for the head sails. Nothing wrong with crawling up to the foredeck once in a while (while the tiller-pilot steers).

I suspect you want to continue as a single-hander. Everything is easier on a small boat. I don't even have an anchor windlass. I am certainly not as strong or quick as I once was but perhaps I am more careful.
EveningTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 14:43   #38

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Other than switching to a multihull, have you thought of hydraulic steering from a pedestal and electric winches?

I have a trimaran which is stable even in the heavy swells, and I never notice heavy helm pressure in spite of the necessarily large rudder because of the hydraulic steering and hydraulic autopilot when I use it.

i have not your sailing experience--but I do have the arthritis.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 14:47   #39

I am fast approaching 70 and refitting a 34 footer to go back out again. I would have a lot of conveniences if they were in the budget, but the absolutes for me are a reliable electric windlass (which I recently bought), all chain and the lightest outboard I can find. Also a windvane. I have a small tiller pilot, but would never rely on one for any distance. Yoga has made my life long back problems much less trouble and loosing 30 lbs has felt like loosing 20 years. LIFE IS GOOD, _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 14:53   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
Other than switching to a multihull, have you thought of hydraulic steering from a pedestal and electric winches?

I have a trimaran which is stable even in the heavy swells, and I never notice heavy helm pressure in spite of the necessarily large rudder because of the hydraulic steering and hydraulic autopilot when I use it.

i have not your sailing experience--but I do have the arthritis.
I like tris and have had two but really think they are not for his requirement with age?
Old 10-01-2017, 14:56   #41

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Keep it simple.....at age 71, I will 2nd the use of the Milwaukee 28Volt 90% angle drill, you would also need to purchase a winch handle end star bit to fit your winches, available at about $50 online.

It is by far the simplest solution, if you do not want to or can't afford to make your boat significant changes. One of these is like having all your winches electric without the expense. I purchased one from the US on eBay new for US $175 with its box. Also I have a 300 watt 110 inverter to charge the drills batteries.

For your interest, Here is a used one on eBay for $165! Milwaukee 0721-20 28V DC Li-Ion 1/2" Cordless Right Angle Drill tool only 45242003952 | eBay

Good luck with life's pontifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbogie View Post
i'm 67 and with my milwaukee right angle drill and winch bit there's nothing i can't do on my hunter passage 42. even hauling the dink to the fore deck is like a walk in the park. a good windlass helps, of course. i'm more worried about getting phat from lack of exercise.
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 15:16   #42

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

All these old people!!!! Never thought I'd get to 30 but now apparently I'm 72 but don't look in the mirror. My Chinese wife is 60 but looks 40 so it makes me feel younger. Anyhow she surprised me last year by enjoying a few months on a Contessa that we bought in the Netherlands and is prepared to do a few passages up and down the coast of NSW. We are heading to Sydney soon to see a somewhat crazy French boat..... twin rudders, flat bottom, self tacking jib etc. The idea is we go fast downwind and get in early !!! what could possibly go wrong ???I've delivered a few of these types of boats and they are light on the helm and a lot of fun. Have an idea that there's trouble ahead. Is this dementia ???
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 15:40   #43

Boat: Currently in between

If you are on this forum, as we are (well, if you're reading this you are) then I think it is safe to say we all understand the lure of the sail.

However, given the choice between scavenging crew to sail or jumping on a power cat solo, I would certainly opt for the power cat.

To me there is just something about still being out on the water, enjoying the sun, the waves and then the sunset and not having to share it with someone I don't know that well.

Looking further ahead I believe, and there are those that would smite this, you could enjoy that power cat for many years beyond when you have to give up the sails and the little known guests..

Just MHO, for what it is worth.
Old 10-01-2017, 15:41   #44

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Christian, you finished your post with "she is very hard to maintain".
None of the previous posters seemed to offer solutions for that aspect of your diffuculties.
I've only ever been on one Tahitiana and she was steel, which of course can mean having to use angle grinders etc.
Is you vessel glass, timber, steel....?
If steel, then all the assistance provided by power winches etc may be of little value if hanging onto a grinder is a major problem. And a grinder which is trying to flip itself out of arthritic hands is a serious weapon on a moving platform.
So, could you elaborate on the maintainance issues? Would you mind?
In a way I feel I can relate. Im 70 and presently enroute to Tas in a tiny boat which is littered with 'yet to be cut' sheets of ply, teak mouldings and a vast quantity of stainless fittings & power tools. Barely room to move.
With a waterline length of only 20 ft and a beam of 9 ft this boat quite literally is a tub which steers abominably. And talk about being "tossed around like a cork" !!
I have no arthritis but I do have multiple injuries so I feel I can relate.
What's she made of Christian?
Given that clearly you 'must' sail, would one of the 6,700 produced Catalina 30's or a Traditional 30 or some other lighter plastic boat be an option?
You didn't mention budget, but my next boat will be a Fisher or a Nauticat 33 fwiw, reason being that I'm in no way a sun worshipper.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 16:24   #45

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

Turning 63 this year has me wondering about the future of my sailing. Fortunately I may have lucked on the boat that can carry me into the years. The pieces that feel right are, FJ, FM, self-tacking jib, windlass, and auto pilot. Plus a total length of 31' is easy on upkeep costs and docking. Bombay Pilothouse 31
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising