Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: What would the best chance of getting away be?
Beat into the wind to put as much distance between you and the coast s possible, while you listen to some cool music and pretend you're a action hero. 89 57.05%
Go paralell to the coastline and try to keep your distance while being beat up by the waves, just because you have a thing for self torture. 11 7.05%
Furl the sails and throw in the sea anchor, haul out the portable DVD-player and crawl back into bed with a cup of hot cocoa and watch "Titanic". 61 39.10%
I'm screwed, I'll inflate the liferaft and jump ship tightly hugging the EPIRB. 2 1.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2010, 05:55   #106
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Originally Posted by bloodhunter View Post
(Is this reversed in the southern hemisphere?)

Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
You describe a hypothetical situation. With wind up to 60 knots and gusts up to 80, waves will be higher than 45 feet. You are really stuck in a hurricane, close to its eye. In the opposite, having waves 20 feet high and some 30 and breaking, you should have winds around 45 knots. You are in between a strong gale and a storm and at that point you situation is not this dramatic.
To be precise, a hurricane by definition has sustained winds 64+ kts, so the situation described is a tropical storm. Wave height is also affected by fetch and time, so the described wave-height is entirely possible. In most fast-moving storm systems the waves never reach their maximum potential because the wind shifts around and knocks them down - instead giving large, confused seas. The wind direction was not specified - assuming that the OP meant the winds were easterly, you would be in the dangerous semicircle of a cyclonic system in either hemisphere. Not knowing the path of the storm, the best strategy for avoidance is to put the wind on the starboard bow in the N hemisphere or port bow in the S hemispere. As I've said before, there are few boats and fewer sailors that could make that happen once the winds are 60G80. Just my opinion.

Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:23   #107

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Does anyone have a link to a good graphic with descriptions of Storm Quadrants?

Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:42   #108
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37
Circulation reverses between the northern and southern hemispheres.

"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss."
Robert A Heinlein
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:51   #109

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Circulation reverses between the northern and southern hemispheres.

Thanks Talbot.
Just what I was looking for.

Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:25   #110

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress
Thanks for info on wind direction in southern hemisphere, thought that was the case but wasn't sure.
I would point out that where it says 'navigable semi-cricle' on the diagrams, navigable is a relative term. It's still dangerous out there.
We were in the left front quadrant and sailed a bit more parallel to the storm track than is usually recommended. I was worried about getting too close to the New Jersey coast and then Haterras once we got that far south. Running on dead reckoning for over two days was about the scariest thing I've ever done while sailing. We were very lucky we got out alive.

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 14:17   #111

Heave 2 with chute

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 18:17   #112

Boat: Sabre Express 42 - Yemaya
Since none of the above is an option ...

5 knots buys you 120 miles in 24 hours. The posts that point out that the only way to be faced with 80 knot winds and breaking waves is to have a brain dead navigator are right.

If you don't have the skills to see such a slap coming 12 to 24 hours ahead, you are left with the short menu.

If you have 12-24 hours warning you also have 60 to 120 miles of options.

I spent some time looking at weather forecasts and tried to get "caught" by such a storm with little warning and found that even 25 feet of waterline allowed me to avoid the problem.

However, to play along ... a series drogue should limit your drift to 36 miles in 24 hours. You should have searoom left after the worst has passed.

RHough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:55   #113

Boat: Jeanneua 36
60 to80knts of wind,u would be down to 3reefs in the main or better still astorme mainsail(if u had it ready to hoist)If the boat is under 35ft. i dont beleive it would be possable to sail to windward in a meening full way,so i go with no.2 and just try to stay as far off the coast as long as i can,working out wish way the storm is heading and heading for its narrowest edge.I had an experance like that on the east coast of n.z. on adelivery trip in 36 steel yacht;to make things a bit more fun the moter broke of its mountings at hte hight of the storm(very noisey)The smallest jib we had was no.3;it was to mush sail so we stayed under 3reefed main and run beem on to the seas steering up into the big curly ones making 4to8 knts.reasnable comfy but very wet and cold,half hour watshes.10 hours later blue skys,hot porredge and all was well in the world;except for that bxxxxxy moter.
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:55   #114

You didnt put an option for my answer!

Close my eyes, roll up into a ball and quickly discover God!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: