Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 12:38   #1

Boat: Brewer 44
Challenge: What Do You Bring to Trade Later when You Go Cruising ?

With just under 14 months to go before departing on my 5-7 year world cruise, I am trying to think of everything I can.

I doubt I will have much extra space in my boat, but if I do, what things would you bring for the sole purpose of trading at a later date and location?

In the Dry Tortugas we bring beer to trade with the fishmen and
shrimpers.

In the Bahamas we trade beer, fishing tackle, and such to fishermen.

In Honduras we gave our buddy some extra cordless drills. But he wanted us to ship him bathroom hardware from Lowes/Home Depot when we got back for this house.

Besides the normal things I will have aboard that I may later trade, I am thinking of also bringing cheap cigs, cheap masks/fisns, cheap power tools, etc.

Any other ideas?

For those that don't know, we trade for fish/shrimp/lobster, ice, water, fuel, parts, dockage, advice, welding work....
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 13:26   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: What Do You Bring to Trade Later when You Go Cruising ?

Old money is good, greenbacks.
Old 10-11-2011, 15:19   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I have been asked to send outboard engine parts,motocycle parts,books and cloths( you can fill a heavy duty trash bag with 60lbs of clothing and suck the air out with a vacum cleaner and it will reduce greatly in size)throw nets,school supplies,and medicines..if someone needs medicine it is best to give rather than trade and give to someone in the community that will share rather than sell to others...condoms(really)women in the islands love bed linens,curtains,cooking utinsls,canned foods,etc.etc.etc...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 17:24   #4

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
I would think $$$$$ would work the best, stores easily and low weight;-)
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 19:51   #5

Boat: Davidson 46, 14m LOA

300 kg of cocaine??
Old 14-11-2011, 20:08   #6

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
I would think $$$$$ would work the best, stores easily and low weight;-)
Works just about everywhere you want to be...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 06:44   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I think the days of bringing down discount T-shirts warehoused since the '90s is over, save for kids' sizes to be handed out as goodwill gifts.

We are going to go with a steel boat able to carry a fairly well-equipped workshop. My idea is to trade light fabrication (plate steel or aluminum brackets made up, things riveted or bolted back together, minor electrical stuff) and contractor-level, mobile work (take a Honda 2000 and a 1/2 in. Makita and spend an afternoon drilling holes in studs) in various isolated islands in return for fresh food or diesel.

There's little that I would be likely able to do that an enterprising islander couldn't, but I might be able to do it faster just due to the extensive tool kit I bring for our own purposes. So "labour and skills for food" bartering is definitely an option, and of course it's a great way to meet people.

In addition, I'm sure there will be opportunities to take reasonably sized items between islands if we are going that way. Lashing a 55 gallon drum to my mast or foredeck isn't going to appreciably screw up my stability, and it beats doing it in a proa or a fishing dugout with a 15 HP loosely through-bolted to the back.

I think giving money is a bad idea in places where there is little to buy that isn't super-expensive already. I also think being seen to give money in many places is bound to attract resentment and, frankly, thieves. I'd rather be the guy known for helping Uncle build his feasting hut or putting the shingles back on the two-room clinic.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 07:41   #8

Boat: 1967 Falmouth Gypsy 24'

tobacco has been the currency of the sea for a long time, it's helped me plenty.

https://sailingmatilda.blogspot.com
Hillbillyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 08:06   #9

Boat: 1977 42' Mapleleaf

My wife and I have donated school supplies (pencils, rulers, child type safety scissors, tablet paper, and a wall size world map. Soccer balls (from the goodwill store) deflate and store easily and are always welcome. We've donated eye goggles (swimming type) bought at a dollar store, and reading eye glasses are always a needed item. Clothing for children and babies, cloth diapers, etc... And, don't forget the ladies like perfume, lipstick and make-up. Yes, it's nice to trade with beer, hooks, knives, etc..., but if you want to really get to know the locals, give from the heart and donate to the women and children too. You can't imagine the big smiles we've received as payment.
Old 15-11-2011, 08:43   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Outboard spark plugs and Costco reading glasses by the dozens.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 09:01   #11

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

s/vWindfall has it right IMO... On our travels we always had a supply of hand tools like screw driver sets, pliers, chisles, etc... we avoided power tools because many spots we visited didn't have recharge capability. School supplies for kids, swimming goggles, fishing gear always went over well.
Years ago we used to take bags of gentle used clothing in many sizes south with us but no longer. A good contact to make certain the stuff goes to those who need it is to contact the local priest or religious leader. They tend to know the best way to get stuff to needy folks. These things are really cheap to purchase Stateside and don't take up much space... by spreading the wealth a bit around the world, cruisers that follow you are warmly welcomed. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 09:19   #12

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I saw a blog in the last couple of day that said they had a lot of success with a photo printer. Take a photo of a family, print it off of the computer. In very isolated areas, people don't have access to any kind of photography. Leaving them with a photo of them and their children will be a keepsake for the rest of their lives.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 10:24   #13

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I bought 50 of these for $12 each and have traded one for up to 5 lobsters, never made a bad trade for one and always have one in my pocket, I also have many $25 Buck bait knives that I trade, useful tools go over very well and the recipient tells his friends so the offers keep coming as long as I’m in the anchorage.
http://www.gerbergear.com/Survival/Tools/Survival-Series-Compact-Multi-Tool_31-000750
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 10:25   #14

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

What a great idea, Adelie... thanks for sharing it... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 17:19   #15

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

In Latin America, ANYTHING electrical (tools, blenders, etc.) can be instantly traded for something else. Also, commercial fishing supply houses sell boxes of fish hooks and jigs very cheaply. Another trick is to visit the local cacique or local church, offer to repair something for free, and stand back. You will be invited to endless fiestas. I'm also going to take all of my old stainless fasteners, like screws and bolts, etc. Shampoo and bathing products are universally appreciated. And, if you take cases of Quicksilver Power Tune (a spray for cleaning outboard carburetors), you may be promoted to local priest or cacique in a heartbeat.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising