Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2011, 15:55   #91

Boat: Tartan 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
A study was reported recently in UK press (i.e. could have simply been made up ) that kids are now starting to appear in schools (in some numbers) who can't use speech in any coherent sense. and these are locals using a "first" language not immigrants using a 2nd (or 3rd). Comes from 2nd and 3rd generation parents being semi literate and semi coherent also losing the understanding that kids aren't born ready finished and that most of the early teaching has to come from the parents, not school / the state.

Obviously affects there ability to learn anything When I was a kid being illiterate was considered shameful (things a lot better nowadays on helping those later in life who slipped through the net - but still considered an embrarrassment). but most had at least developed the power of speech......no idea what we are going to do with those who never develop speech (and the ability to think that provides) Give 'em bananas?

Not all progress is forward.......
That happened in America. They decided to consider it a new language, gave it a name, and started teaching it in schools. seriously... (I'm not judging, just saying!)

devo++
Old 30-01-2011, 22:36   #92
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
A study was reported recently in UK press (i.e. could have simply been made up ) that kids are now starting to appear in schools (in some numbers) who can't use speech in any coherent sense.
I can verify this - it was reported in the Times Educational Supplement, and analysed the findings of a nationwide study. In poorer areas (high proportion of free school meals), children are indeed coming to school with barely the able to request a drink of water. This is largely due to the amount of time they spent in front of TV and watching their siblings fight, rather than interacting, playing games, developing social and language skills etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
That happened in America. They decided to consider it a new language, gave it a name, and started teaching it in schools. seriously... (I'm not judging, just saying!)
devo++
I've heard about this. Over the pond we call it American English, and oftentimes we can understand it, so don't fret too much.

You know what, my friends. It's lucky you guys have schools where you can send kids to, so we can teach them how to read, write (and join up their letters for efficiency) and calculate numbers. We also teach 'em how to read maps, turn on a beebot and make it go places, and use computers. All of these, of course, are the foundation skills they need to be able to operate the next generation of GPSs (to get back on topic); so all in all it's lucky you have schools to rescue your children from the dumbed down start in life they get from their parents....
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 22:38   #93
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Lesson #1 - reading the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterly38 View Post
I asked this before, but got no responses. Now the post is buried so I'll ask again.

The test period has already already started according to the dates I have read. So, has anyone in the affected area had a GPS outage? Just curious.
Now, ladies and gentlemen, can anybody tell me what this poster means by his question?

Top Tip: start by highlighting the keywords.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 23:22   #94
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Sailoress View Post
so all in all it's lucky you have schools to rescue your children from the dumbed down start in life they get from their parents....
lol...my kid's mom is a teacher. I'm hot for teacher! (a song by Van Halen)
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 04:44   #95
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Unfortunately I agree that children and populace in general is 'dumber' then i expected... folks are trained to perform a 'function' to be part of the machinery of our society... we arent trained to be critical thinkers and or to wonder how 'things' just happen...

how does potholes get fixed? easy answer, taxes, but of course nothin is easy... economy to create a company to manufacture the material used by whomever places it.. eithe govt worker or private company, etc. and on and on and on...

we are trained to 'know' about govt, but are slammed down when we try to get involved...

govt is for elite... for invited members... we cant understand it we cont control it.. noting...

sorry if facts and deep discussion is a bummer, but that is just the reflection of my point... no matter wher eit is brought up...

tidbit of trivia,... if everyone in the us, man, woman, child, offered to pay money to pay off the deficit, we would have to pay $20k each.... a family of four would have to pay $80k

now, only half the people in teh country pay taxes so double that $20k to $40k...

that does not include state deficits...add another $5k per person or $10k for those that actually pay..

now, thta the deficit is paid, we would have to cut 1/3 of our current spending to make sure we dont go into debt next year..

how in the hell can we as a people or society believe we can keep on living in debt...and again, govt doesnt want outsider, or (outside the box thinking)

now, you have to ask yourself one simple question...

which would you rather do, pay more taxes, or cut out whatever it is we are spending by 1/3

cut contractor hourly rates, (for those that make 'davis bacon'...look it up).. would be a good start... the govt mandates contractors to pay thier employees more then the going wage... why? we can get twice the work done with the same amount of money... but we dont.. just becuase the govt agreed to 'side' with the unions.

ok, so if we dont look at union issues, then cut whatever it is we are buying, or spening money on...

no more road maintenance.. no more repairs or upgrades to infrastructure.. no more space exploration, no more ecology studies or projects.. no more govt parks.. just let them grow over...

etc....

simple question.. more taxes.. or less spending..

sorry for the bummer discussion.. but seriuosly... our education system is broken, and unless we raise geniuses that understand economy and govt... we are screwed...
wow, how did we get this far off the topic, This post reminds me of "the Road". As a general comment, I have two daugthers, products of the social networking age, One has beautiful boilerplate writing and exceptional spelling, the other just darn good. I on the otherhand at 50, am an engineer, hence I cant actually write well at all and definitely cant spell, as you well know here.

However unlike my children, I can use a sextant and even calculate latitude using lunar distances * though you do need the internet to get the printed tables these days).

I would have no concerns as to either the availability or life of GPS, the fact is that within 10 years there will be 3-4 competing GNSS systems in operation, including GLONASSS, GALLILEO, and a chinesee and possibly japeneese system. GPS is here to stay and unfortunately sextants etc are destined for a trash can of navigational history.

We all accept in our lives that technology we depend on can go wrong and fatalities result, we accept a level of death for the convience of its normal use. Otherwise there would be no mechanical transport systems, mining, industry etc. We try and mitigate such failure but we accept they occur. GPS is no different. The fact that very very occasionally for whatever reason a GPS outage might occur and even so most will not be affected, occasionally such a failure may result in a death or injury, its irrelevant GNSS continues.

Its really a non argument and certainly no argument about not using GPS, becuase there is a very small risk of loosing it.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 08:39   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Sailoress View Post
Now, ladies and gentlemen, can anybody tell me what this poster means by his question?

Top Tip: start by highlighting the keywords.
I'll word it a little different and see if that clarifies it some.....Has anyone on a boat lost GPS reception in the area in question during the dates in question?

So far, the only person who has replied said he lost his GPS signals was in a plane, which is what I expected.
easterly38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 08:45   #97
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterly38 View Post
I'll word it a little different and see if that clarifies it some.....Has anyone on a boat lost GPS reception in the area in question during the dates in question?

So far, the only person who has replied said he lost his GPS signals was in a plane, which is what I expected.
My GPS says I am in western Europe. But it could be lying to me

I will ask Mickey next time he walks past
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 10:55   #98
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
At last, a chance to use my latest "mightier than a sword" pen (or two index fingers)

'Was there a period long ago when old salts were as skepitical of new fangled compasses as some are today about GPS and electronic charting? "Hey, kid, get your head out that binnacle and pay attention to the birds and wave trains!" Then later did some skippers freak out when their compass went blooey for a few minutes due to a local magnetic disturbance or poorly engineered gimbeling?'
Ben Ellison, Panbo.com "A World Magnetic Model Reminder Courtesy Maretron" Feb 18, 2010

So; we are on page seven, and have endured six attempts to divert the discussion to questions relevant only to politics, the religion of Technology, Geezerism and conspiracy theory. Only one poster has directly addressed the issue, asking if anyone has actually experienced a problem. To date, one airplane (the likeliest effect) has had moments or minutes of interruption, but there has not been a single report of a surface interruption.

To the casual reader, this renders the entire discussion moot. To the critical reader, it quantifies the number of fierce reactions to plainly fictional scenarios. An amazing number of other writer's publicly reveal their fundamental ignorance of the subject. Still more blythely ignore the careful tutoring of writers who clearly understand the issue, to perpetuate the emotional uproar. This leaves us with a single conclusion; we just came for the brawl!

sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 11:00   #99
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
... which would you rather do, pay more taxes, or cut out whatever it is we are spending by 1/3

cut contractor hourly rates, (for those that make 'davis bacon'...look it up).. would be a good start... the govt mandates contractors to pay thier employees more then the going wage... why? we can get twice the work done with the same amount of money... but we dont.. just becuase the govt agreed to 'side' with the unions ...
The Davis Bacon* and Related Acts (DBRA) requires all contractors and subcontractors performing work on federal or District of Columbia construction contracts or federally assisted contracts in excess of $2,000 to pay their laborers and mechanics not less than the prevailing wage rates and fringe benefits for corresponding classes of laborers and mechanics employed on similar projects in the area.

FWIW: The act is named after its Republican sponsors, Sen. James "Puddler Jim" Davis (R-PA) (former Secretary of Labor under three presidents) and Representative Robert L. Bacon (R-NY).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 12:28   #100
cruiser

Hi, my name is Bill, and i am a GEEZER

(andyes, that is the davis bacon act i refer to... in essence whenver the govt hires a contractor t lest say, cut the grass at a post office, or a military base housing, etc, they have to pay some $20+ per hour for cutting grass, not to mention the screening and testing of personnel, safety procedures on how to ber careful around garden sheers, etc...

seems like when there is no money in the kitty, that we should pay the least we can to get teh job done, or forego that particular project until we can afford it?

anyways, i defer back to the OP, and the GPS issue as that is the direct question/topic)
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 12:42   #101
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
Only one poster has directly addressed the issue, asking if anyone has actually experienced a problem. To date, one airplane (the likeliest effect) has had moments or minutes of interruption, but there has not been a single report of a surface interruption.
No reports that everything fine can only lead to one conclusion - the folks off the Eastern Seaboard are experiancing major and widespread GPS failure............and haven't been able to find Florida (or a keyboard).

Obvious really Just a matter of asking the right question

I hereby name it: "The Florida Triangle"
Old 31-01-2011, 12:54   #102

Quote:
No reports that everything fine can only lead to one conclusion - the folks off the Eastern Seaboard are experiancing major and widespread GPS failure............and haven't been able to find Florida (or a keyboard).

Obvious really Just a matter of asking the right question

I hereby name it: "The Florida Triangle"
Too funny! Those affected have no idea where they are.
easterly38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 12:54   #103

Boat: Tartan 30
Quote:
Hi, my name is Bill, and i am a GEEZER

(andyes, that is the davis bacon act i refer to... in essence whenver the govt hires a contractor t lest say, cut the grass at a post office, or a military base housing, etc, they have to pay some $20+ per hour for cutting grass, not to mention the screening and testing of personnel, safety procedures on how to ber careful around garden sheers, etc...

seems like when there is no money in the kitty, that we should pay the least we can to get teh job done, or forego that particular project until we can afford it?

anyways, i defer back to the OP, and the GPS issue as that is the direct question/topic)
I usually charge 30-35 an hour for cutting grass (and any other landscaping or handyman work) and that's less than any landscape company in town. The only people charging less than $20/h are neighborhood kids.

Just Sayin...
Old 31-01-2011, 12:57   #104
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
My guess is that when the US plays silly beggers with the GPS in other parts of the world that they do not post notices in the local papers. And I think not unreasonable to expect that as the pilotless drone death delivery systems become more developed and widely available (did with Nukes, so glorified r/c toys a given) beyond the US use as a tool to bring peace & democracy to the heathen tribes that Navies, high value commercial shipping? and particularly the super rich will seek to jam GPS signals in there locale as a matter of course - whether they are meant to or not. Indeed, I would suggest they would be idiots if they didn't.

The only defence to Govt GPS trickery is one of these:-

Notes: "It can't be stressed enough how important it is to have the shiny side pointing out. This is needed because the shiny side is most reflective to psychotronic radiation, while the dull side can actually, in certain environmental conditions, absorb it".

.............and to use my catchphrase from another fourm :-

FACT.
Old 31-01-2011, 14:08   #105
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
My guess is that when the US plays silly beggers with the GPS in other parts of the world that they do not post notices in the local papers. And I think not unreasonable to expect that as the pilotless drone death delivery systems become more developed and widely available (did with Nukes, so glorified r/c toys a given) beyond the US use as a tool to bring peace & democracy to the heathen tribes that Navies, high value commercial shipping? and particularly the super rich will seek to jam GPS signals in there locale as a matter of course - whether they are meant to or not. Indeed, I would suggest they would be idiots if they didn't.

The only defence to Govt GPS trickery is one of these:-

Notes: "It can't be stressed enough how important it is to have the shiny side pointing out. This is needed because the shiny side is most reflective to psychotronic radiation, while the dull side can actually, in certain environmental conditions, absorb it".

.............and to use my catchphrase from another fourm :-

FACT.
DOJ!!!! I am extremely surprised at you. Posting classified material? That's just downright irresponsible.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, gps