Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2011, 19:20   #76

re: Thinking Outside the Medical Box: Seizure & Diabetic

It might come up on Google Scholar (www.scholar.google.com) rather than regular google. Onion juice in the nostril as an anticonvulsant has been mentioned in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology and some of the phytotherapy journals. I'm looking for some online references for you that don't require a subscription.

In the meantime, here is a Plant Monograph on Onion that mentions some of the pharmacological actions of onion.

I can see where the idea of using onion juice may seem odd if one is not used to naturopathy or other traditional medicines.
Old 17-08-2011, 04:43   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
... Also the "Merck Manual" is available on CD and is good for much of the same things and looking up drugs. Amazon.com: The Merck Manual on CD-ROM (9781889185033): Merck, Co.: Books ...
Rather than pay $1,700 for a digital version (CD as linked above), I’d get the paper bound version for $79.
The Merck Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy

Old 17-08-2011, 04:51   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
If one doesn't normally carry an enema bag, what would be the best way to introduce liquids?
take the tube and bulb from your outboards fuel tank,failing that a tube and a funnel........
Old 17-08-2011, 05:32   #79
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate re: Thinking Outside the Medical Box: Seizure & Diabetic

1/... Get her comfortable as possible on her side in recovery position...
2/... Get someone to search all her baggage for any medication/prescriptions... then take it from there depending on ongoing situation... also I would have calld a 'Pan Pan Medico' and requested a Relay.... rather than a straight 'Mayday'...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 17-08-2011, 05:34   #80
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate re: Thinking Outside the Medical Box: Seizure & Diabetic

Oppppsss... teach me to look before I type... thought I was in at the beginning... now find its post 79....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 17-08-2011, 06:34   #81

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Rather than pay $1,700 for a digital version (CD as linked above), I’d get the paper bound version for $79.
The Merck Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy
Yipes! I bought my CD a decade ago for $79.00. Maybe I should not buy gold as in the CF Investing thread and instead sell my Merck Manual CD.
Old 17-08-2011, 07:05   #82
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i did not say to use an emergency room, but if ye have it , do use it.
sugar in the cheek between cheek and teeth in the case if loss of consciousness is a field remedy i was taught when i worked in a situation wherein we had no emergency room available. it DOES do the trick.
apparently you did not read my posts. please do that , then critique my answers. thankyou.
i gave FIELD answers for when there is no ambulance nor emergency room available. i gave the allegedly proper and accepted answers. i have worked for many many years outside the box and inside it as well.
honey is not always available nor is a swab always on hand. i always have sugar in my galley, as do most folks.

is nice to know about onion juice--didnt know that one. thankyou for that.
Old 17-08-2011, 07:18   #83
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Jeepers after reading this thread I'd be the one taking the Valium, never mind the patient

Dave
Old 17-08-2011, 07:23   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Jeepers after reading this thread I'd be the one taking the Valium, never mind the patient

Dave
the individual is not a patient until that individual gets into the hospital system. until then, the individual is a victim, or individual not under doctor's care.
Old 17-08-2011, 07:28   #85

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

"First do no harm" -No to the dabetic pen. Remember your ABC's Establish the Airway, stop Bleeding, check the Cardiovascular system (pluse). Then you need to alert EMS, and head for help. This is how its done no matter where you are. After this, check her sugar if you can. In this patient I would monitor the airway constantly. Dont let the seizure activity freak you out, you cant do anything about it, so worry about something else....(airway)
I treat seizures, diabetic comas, gunshot wounds, poly traumatic patients everyday....but my patients are furry and have 4 legs.
Old 17-08-2011, 07:41   #86

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the individual is not a patient until that individual gets into the hospital system. until then, the individual is a victim, or individual not under doctor's care.
I suspect on a lot of boats including mine the individual would be better termed a "corpse." Unless you have a sizable crew who can tend the boat and keep it off the rocks or out of danger in serious sea conditions, the sick individual below would not be noticed until too late.
- - Also, not having the ability and knowledge to use SSB to contact somebody like CapnGeo, the individual would be pretty much on their own. I really don't think many, if any, non-medical cruisers would have the knowledge or ability to carry out the steps outlined in this thread situation beyond simple positioning of the victim. Great thread!
Old 17-08-2011, 08:49   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidMuse View Post
It might come up on Google Scholar (www.scholar.google.com) rather than regular google. Onion juice in the nostril as an anticonvulsant has been mentioned in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology and some of the phytotherapy journals. I'm looking for some online references for you that don't require a subscription.

In the meantime, here is a Plant Monograph on Onion that mentions some of the pharmacological actions of onion.

I can see where the idea of using onion juice may seem odd if one is not used to naturopathy or other traditional medicines.
What may be appropriate is if you can point to any peer reviewed studies that would substantiate the traditional/herbal theories.

As example, willow bark was used as a traditional remedy, and aspirin was developed using the acetylsalicylic acid present in willow bark. It is a case where the traditional was substantiated by scientific proof.

Most traditional/herbal remedies do not stand up to this rigorous process, but rely on folk-lore alone. In fact, most have been shown to have no more then a placebo effect, and many are downright dangerous, especially if they are used in place of allopathic treatments.

I did a search in the google scholar, and all I could find was references to traditional/herbal/folk remedies; no peer reviewed study was found that could speak to the effectiveness of your suggested treatment.

Onion juice may do no harm, but on the other hand, when dealing with emergencies, should we not rely on proven methods can assist, rather then spending time on ones that have no science backing them?
Old 17-08-2011, 08:49   #88

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

This thread makes one realize what an isolated and maybe impossible situation you are in if someone should become seriously injured/sick on a boat. Things like head injuries, arterial bleeding, and severe fractures are VERY possible aboard a boat. The small f.a. kits that are normally kept on board are generally inadequate. Some simple supplies that can be of primary importance are: plenty of cravats (and knowledge of how to use them), some sort of collapsible air bag (and airways), much more WIDE adhesive tape than is usually in kits, a large bottle of Betadine or other antiseptic, things to make splints from, and plenty of large absorbent pads. With a basic adequate supply of stuff like this you can be prepared for most situations. Just as a note to Geo's situation, with unconscious victims it's also important to check for/remove dentures in case you need to do CPR. Also, someone having a grand mal can bite his/her tongue so if you can get a soft pad in between their teeth (without getting your finger in there) it can be helpful.
Old 17-08-2011, 09:08   #89

being allergic to many things, natural and otherwise, i have learned to look askanse at many regulation medical practices as well as many homeopathic ones, as in willow bark--allergies to aspirin and other acetylksalicylic acid products, as in form of willow bark, is not uncommon.
i CAN use elephant tree tea for arthritis, and enjoy it when i can find the trees to catch bark off. i am hesitant to use many naturally growing grasses and trees as there could be definite long term problems should allergies arise. isnt first time use that produces that reaction, but that use first time provides body with allergens which make further use impossible.
i face medicine with a skepticism reserved for those mds with tunnel vision--that space wherein they(mds) find an impossibility to see world from any other point of view but that of the AMA. i do not like hospitals, as i found they try to kill my kind. i have reynaud's DISEASE not phenomenon. is a total body experience and is what makes some 2-3 percent of the total population different in many ways.
yes, i worked within the system for many many many years, and i appreciate the positives as well as the negatives of that system. when i troubleshoot the human body, it works and i have success. i am not perfect but i know what does work.
i also know the system will kill me if i use it for me.
Old 17-08-2011, 16:06   #90

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post
Good thread to start "what does your off shore med kit contain" I want to know why my stainless staple gun is beginning to pit, next will it rust?
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ion-18161.html

Tags
medical