Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-10-2011, 04:20   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Challenge: Thinking Outside the Medical Box | I'm Having Chest Pain !

make sure the life insurance payments are up to date?

Old 08-10-2011, 08:35   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

make sure when lying someone flat down that the pain doesnt get worse while so doing---if it does--give tums and raise torso..
hud--i like your info on the chest----is good.

if the individual has reynauds disease, give lots of water, as they areprobably dehydrated as well as stressed and the water will help the ischemic changes relieve some. i have reynauds disease , and that has been my treatment of choice once i learned .....

zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:42   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you're really concerned, I think AED's are getting down to $1300 or so now. That's cheaper than many boat parts.... hmmm... let's see, New self tailing winch on the mast or a life saving AED.... Oh yeah..... we're sailors! Go for the winch!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:53   #19
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

OK back on a “real” computer......Man that was some kind of night at the fire station.... got to lay down about 0615 this morning.... still 20 more hours to go in this shift UGH!

@HUD Good suggestion but I’d like to add changing the location to the foot instead of the chest. If any sort of intervention is required to the chest area (CPR?), the bag will be removed and possibly lost.

@Zee.... Yes. hydration is almost always a good idea unless there is impaired consciousness and the patient cannot control their gag reflex.... OR the patient is already in fluid overload (remember the swollen lower extremities written above) But YOU know that ;-)

INSURANCE! there’s a notable point.... Outside the more developed countries, often med-evac is private and costs huge! I always buy a policy to cover medical evacuation back to the USA when I travel. Same goes for SAR insurance.

To simplify a cardiac event treatment to the extreme, the pump (heart) is running out of oxygen. The goal is to increase the oxygen (blood flow) and decrease the workload. Morphine is a great tool that is both a vasodilator (makes the blood vessels relax and get larger) and a sedative which will calm the patient, reducing their anxiety (which lessens cardiac demand). BUT Morphine is a controlled substance in most places and might wind you up in a 3rd world prison!

100% Oxygen by non-rebreather is a GREAT tool aboard, as it can also be used for diving (hyperbaric) injuries, and other breathing problems unrelated to cardiac issues. Oxygen is “relatively” inexpensive and easily sourced. Down side is carrying a supply which lasts more than 20 minutes is difficult as the equipment is bulky and heavy. Oxygen is not a panacea though. Normal blood oxygen saturation is 95-100% on room air... even breathing 100% oxygen will not improve on 100%! Obviously patients with respiratory systems compromised by pain or disease, who are NOT at 95-100%, will benefit by increasing the supply, which WILL increase the saturation in the blood.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:09   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

also--if is the boat owner, have em write a paper stating you are not a real thief and have permission to manage boat on your demise....or incapacitation....mebbe even a will giving boat to someone so isnt legally bound up too long and rendered derelict in meantime..oh yes, and the kat-- has to have good home...
capngeo-- the choking thing is a reality in reynaud's disease----- happens normally,. and worsens with stress.

zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
medical

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: