Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 22:43   #46

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
This morning with a fire in the woodstove, I'm looking out the window of our house at 25 to 30 knots and heavy rain.

Glad I didn't have a schedule!

My chain saw won't start--- If I don't get it fixed the wood supply is short.. (That is a schedule) I saw what I thought was a cat way west, almost abeam Squim during July headed south.. I bet I was mistaken and it was a tri.

Todd[/QUOTE]

That was our weather yeasterday...sunny all day today...go figure.

Now...Have I got a deal for you...You can use my chain saw and cut both our wood..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 23:01   #47

Boat: Lyman-Morse 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Spohn View Post
You won't find current data for the Swinomish Channel. Here is what the locals do:
Use the La Conner tide readings (Seattle + 30 minutes)
Slack water occurs 2 1/2 to 4 hours after either high or low tide
Current flows north 2 1/2 to 4 hours before high tide to 2 1/2 to 4 hours after high tide
Current flows south 2 1/2 to 4 hours before low tide to 2 1/2 to 4 hours after low tide
I apologize for being dense but I am not entirely clear on the above. As an example, if high tide for La Conner occurs at 3PM, the way I read it the current should be flowing north from approximately noon until 6PM, then slack at approximately 6PM, then flow south from 6PM until about midnight. This assumes 3 hour intervals instead of the 2.5-4 hours in the rule above, but you get my point. Does this sound about right?

I will be moving our boat up the Swinomish from La Conner this Friday afternoon and am curious about what the current will be doing.

Thanks,

Steve
Pyxis156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 20:57   #48

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
saw

That reminds me -- I have a Stihl and need to get a jug of oil and think about getting the chain sharpened. Our cabin has a fireplace with insert, blower, etc. as well as propane heat, but the fireplace won't take great big white man logs.

Tide/current schedules I guess are the ones we can't avoid -- but sacrificing them to get-back-to-the-dock schedules can be awkward.
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 19:08   #49

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyxis156 View Post
I apologize for being dense but I am not entirely clear on the above. As an example, if high tide for La Conner occurs at 3PM, the way I read it the current should be flowing north from approximately noon until 6PM, then slack at approximately 6PM, then flow south from 6PM until about midnight. This assumes 3 hour intervals instead of the 2.5-4 hours in the rule above, but you get my point. Does this sound about right?

I will be moving our boat up the Swinomish from La Conner this Friday afternoon and am curious about what the current will be doing.

Thanks,

Steve
You got it....it all depends on the tide though...a 12 footer will be on the high end of the time line a 6 footer on the low end.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 16:59   #50

Boat: Lord Nelson 35
Re: Challenge: Strait of Juan de Fuca at 0300

I'm still learning the sailing ropes and have been sailing for only a little over a year. I had sailed all over the sound (sailing at least once a week) without any real issues until I sailed up to Port Townsend. I hit currents and conditions off Mirrowstone Island that I'd never experienced before. What should I time the tidal conditions to be when I reach this area and sail out past Point Wilson? Right at slack tide? I will be sailing to the San Juans this Summer and want to time my passage though this area better.
Steve Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 18:47   #51

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Steve,
I would prefer slack to out going tide would be best if coming from the south. However it also depends on winds too. If the winds are opposing the tide even a two knot tide it can double the height of the waves.
Hope this helps and hope to see you out there this summer.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 19:22   #52

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
Steve,
I would prefer slack to out going tide would be best if coming from the south. However it also depends on winds too. If the winds are opposing the tide even a two knot tide it can double the height of the waves.
Hope this helps and hope to see you out there this summer.
I think you posted this to my answer to your PM, but no matter.
I read 'em all.
What boat have you?

Steve

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 20:14   #53

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Steve,

I have a Meta Dalu 47. It is a french aluminum boat made in the Stongall method ie thick plates with very little internal structure or ribbing.

The interior and finishing of the boat was completed by Peter Smith who designed the Rocna anchor. He built his own aluminum boat right after this one so there are many similarities.

Cheers
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote